News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Smokes Poutinerie is opening a new location at Yonge and Eglinton September 2013. It was already well known that Smokes was coming to midtown, but nobody knew when until fairly recently. The specific location is still a mystery in the meantime. It would be a real let down if it turned out to be the Yonge and Eg food court...

Don't think there is any retail available in the Food Court actually.

There isn't, I was just in there the other day. Though for all we know, one of the leases in the food court could be expiring soon and Smokes could be basing that opening date on when they were told the space would be ready for them. There are a lot of potential spots for it so I am really just taking a shot in the dark. I have been wondering for a while though, and there doesn't seem to be any info

It wont be missed. I ate there once years ago. It was overpriced 1980s bad hotel food. Also the view wasn't that great. You're too far from the action.

Facilities on the north side of the Dome are more novelties than anything else. How much demand is there for field-side rooms at the hotel any more?

If the Jays do as well as expected this year, the demand will be there. For most games I've been to the past few years, those rooms aren't used.

The Drake Hotel's new downtown restaurant, called Drake 150, will be opening in a few months at 150 York St:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/food/story.cfm?content=191542

They have a website up too: http://www.drake150.ca/

I love the Drake for brunch or a drink (especially during Summer). I'm sure this will be a hot spot for the monday-friday Bay St crowd, it'll be interesting to see what weekend traffic will be like.

Last edited:
Playa Cabana (my vote for the best Mexican in TO) will be opening a 3rd location just down the road of their original spot (111 Dupont) closer to Avenue Rd in 2-3 months. The new spot will much larger than both the Dupont and newly opened Junction location, with 190 seats I'm told. Also, the original location's patio probably will be getting the axe (due to a few reasons), which will greatly reduce its already cramped seating capacity, making the new location the flagship.

Question about Playa Cabana's new place: Are you sure it's a THIRD LOCATION and not a move? Kind of weird to have two restaurants within walking distance (unless it's Starbucks or McDonald's). Or maybe they're turning one into a different concept?

Ice Lounge (at the northeast corner of Danforth and Carlaw) has its windows papered over. It's been there for years, but never seemed particularly busy (so people half-jokingly assumed it was a front for drug dealers). Not sure if it is gone, or is simply going to renovate.

There is a Subway sandwich place going into a few new condos, like the grey box at Sherbourne & Richmond St. E and the new condo at Carlaw & Dundas. (the Lamb development) It seems like a Subway is going into so many new condos. The downtown east already has Subway restaurants on lower Church St. near Front, King East, near Sherbourne and Queen & Parliament. Do we really need more Subways in St. Lawrence? I rarely even see anyone in them. How do they make a profit?

Back