News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

To be fair, as someone who grew up in Etobicoke where Black Angus has existed my entire life, it was my first and so far only time eating there...

Growing up in Scarborough we had a bunch of good restaurants but as rent went up they all closed.

Summerfields at the STC along with Kally's (I am not sure of the spelling) on Eglinton at McCowan were local haunts with amazing food. Then you had others like the cafeteria style restaurants at Cedarbrae and Agincourt Malls...

The new age steakhouse with staff who would all rather be somewhere else, POP MUSIC AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE, and specials of 30oz tomahawk steaks (which could feed three people) does not appeal to me, and that's before the fact their prices are even higher than the old school ones, nevermind the constant upsell specials like "do you want to add King Crab legs" for an extra $40 (price not disclosed by server when ordering) which is mysteriously available 365 days a year.

I have noticed that too. The new age steakhouses are extremely overpriced for the quality you get. Servers push items on you like you like a car salesman. I have had some servers try to push the expensive bottle water on me. No thanks! You can keep your $18 Nestle water in a fancy bottle. Tap water is fine for me.

As for the staff at these new steakhouses and other "hip" bars. That's what happens when restaurants hire based on physical attractiveness over personality and work experience.

My partner and I were given a gift card for David Duncan House near York Mills and Don Mills. That was a very pleasant night out, enjoyed just weeks before the pandemic hit. Old-school service, though in a somewhat more contemporary atmosphere than some of the really old-school downtown establishments. I'm glad we used it when we did, even if it meant a winter trip uptown and on the 95 bus.

Though I grill a mean steak, using only a light marinade to keep the meat tender, and a bit of garlic and pepper, that compares favourably to a mid-range chain restaurant, it just can't beat a properly aged steakhouse cut and the atmosphere of a proper establishment.

Growing up in Scarborough we had a bunch of good restaurants but as rent went up they all closed.

Summerfields at the STC along with Kally's (I am not sure of the spelling) on Eglinton at McCowan were local haunts with amazing food. Then you had others like the cafeteria style restaurants at Cedarbrae and Agincourt Malls...
Good memory, the Cedarbrae restaurant was a cafeteria in the 70’s with a steakhouse next door. I ate many meals there.

Bacon Nation in Kensington Market has closed, Gordon's Pub and Kitchen in Leslieville is closing on Jan 30, 2021.

While Dave's Hot Chicken in Parkdale, Shinyi Dumplings at Yonge & Wellesley, and Tsuchi Cafe in Little Italy/College has opened:

Back