News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Does anybody know anything about the cafe or restaurant opening at 60 Richmond East? The construction looks pretty far along...

Perhaps this will finally be the resident-run restaurant that was mentioned back when the building first opened:

http://www.sabmagazine.com/blog/2010/08/18/60-richmond-east-housing-development/

"The residents are primarily union workers in the hospitality industry, which informed the decision to design a restaurant and training kitchen on the ground floor, owned and run by the residents. An exterior terrace on the sixth floor of the building is the location of a community garden. The garden is tended to by the co-operative residents; it is irrigated with storm water that is collected on the roof in a cistern. The food cultivated in the garden is used in the restaurant on the ground floor and the compost generated from the restaurant and training kitchen is reused in the garden."

Perhaps this will finally be the resident-run restaurant that was mentioned back when the building first opened:

http://www.sabmagazine.com/blog/2010/08/18/60-richmond-east-housing-development/

"The residents are primarily union workers in the hospitality industry, which informed the decision to design a restaurant and training kitchen on the ground floor, owned and run by the residents. An exterior terrace on the sixth floor of the building is the location of a community garden. The garden is tended to by the co-operative residents; it is irrigated with storm water that is collected on the roof in a cistern. The food cultivated in the garden is used in the restaurant on the ground floor and the compost generated from the restaurant and training kitchen is reused in the garden."

The Star reports that Carl Heinrich (Top Chef Canada winner) is opening a restaurant on Yonge and Richmond, so it might be this one?

http://www.thestar.com/living/food/...rich-to-open-restaurant-at-yonge-and-richmond

P.F. Chang's is opening in The Shops of Don Mills.

I have no intention of ever eating at this place as this kind of Chinese food is easy enough to find downtown when I want some of it and P.F. Chang's seems to be a particularly egregious offender on the unhealthy side. I read some of their meals have more than 3 days worth of salt in them.

However, I do think it is worth noting another US chain expanding here and skipping over downtown to go directly into a non-tourist area. It's a vote of confidence in the local economy.

Last edited:
P.F. Chang's is opening in The Shops of Don Mills.

I have no intention of ever eating at this place as this kind of Chinese food is easy enough to find downtown when I want some of it and P.F. Chang's seems to be a particularly egregious offender on the unhealthy side. I read some of their meals have more than 3 days worth of salt in them.

However, I do think it is worth noting another US chain expanding here and skipping over downtown to go directly into a non-tourist area. It's a vote of confidence in the local economy.

They have signed a licensing agreement with a Canadian Company (the same one that runs the Starbucks cafes in Quebec and a couple of other brands). So the choice of location is more a Canadian "thing" than PF Chang themselves picking it.

http://www.dailymarkets.com/stock/2011/04/08/p-f-changs-expands-to-canada/

Balzac's Coffee almost ready to open at the Reference Library. A patio or at least roll up windows would be most welcome here.

balzacj9.jpg

A large new Tim Horton's is moving into what was Ho Lee Chow and a Nail Salon at the south-east corner of Jarvis and Dundas.

a new restaurant & lounge called 417 is opening up at the old Myth/Davos spot on Danforth near Chester...also, the Cafe Demetre across the street has re-opened after it had shut down...

Application: Sign Permit Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON M5B 1R7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 214641 SGN 00 SP Accepted Date: Jul 19, 2012

Project: First Party New

Description: To erect and display four illuminated wall signs on the westerly elevation of first storey, in conjunction with a new restaurant. **Five Guys Burgers**

Finally downtown is getting a Five Guys! And right at Yonge and Dundas. Sweet. Looking forward to that. Looks like it's going in underneath Silver Snail? Or maybe above it?

Last edited:
In many Five Guys outlets, there are also boxes of in-shell peanuts stacked up near the waiting line for you to snack on. You can't really get any more up-front about the use of peanuts in the restaurant. A downtown one will be great.

Back