39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

According to Merriam-Webster:

gra·tu·ity
noun \grə-ˈtü-ə-tē, -ˈtyü-\
pluralgra·tu·ities

Definition of GRATUITY

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially: tip

I tipped my server 13% at Gusto (and he hadn't done a good job at all, I would have left less but I was paying for my friend's birthday) and he looked at me and said "that's not 15%, but I'll let it go this time". Not impressed.

Many servers have become stupidly aggressive regarding tipping. Even if they have done nothing to earn a tip.

I'd probably smack him.

You should be allowed to comment on why you gave the tip you did. Should be a little area on the bill there.

How much should we tip?

I went to boston pizza with my friends in Niagra, there was this nice waitress, beautiful, decent and someone who knows how to be a perfect host. We ordered food, Enjoyed my nachos, loved the surrounding and music, and when we finished the same waitress brought us our bill and i tipped her 6$ for 88$ of purchase and she peaked and saw how much i tipped her so when i handed her back that electronic billing device she *smirked* an insulting sound, then she tossed our receipt on the table and rushed away. After showing us how cheap she is, i stood up followed her to the counter and tipped her 20$ more, and then she was all sweet again, like she had this invisible mask, On and Off. Do i have to follow the rules set by corporations at everything going in my life? no i am not an out-law, but not everybody is a freaking billy-the-bill-gates. what if i can only tip 6$ ? does it give a waiter the right to insult me? When i meet people like these, the more i love my dog.

Whenever I go to a restaurant for breakfast on a weekday I generally tip more, since the meal is usually something like $6 including coffee. The waiter is working very hard, and it's not his fault that the meals are cheaper than if he was working on the weekend or dinner time. So, if the bill for my wife and I is about $14.50 with tax, I always tip the extra $5.50 to make it an even $10.

The reverse goes for super expensive meals. If I order a $60 bottle of wine, does the tip go up by $9 automatically?

My most recent significant experience with tipping was a cab ride home from my daughters wedding at the Ballet school on Jarvis. I hailed the cab on the street and told the driver the general neighbourhood in which we lived. He explained the slightly less than straight line route he was going to take would probably be quicker and thus save us some money, I agreed and away we went. He was an excellent (safe) driver and quite communicative when we asked a few "cab driver" specific questions and wished us and our daughter all the best when we told him of the event we had attended earlier that night.

The fare on the meter was about $36, I gave him a $50 bill and told him to keep the change.

How much should we tip?

I went to boston pizza with my friends in Niagra, there was this nice waitress, beautiful, decent and someone who knows how to be a perfect host. We ordered food, Enjoyed my nachos, loved the surrounding and music, and when we finished the same waitress brought us our bill and i tipped her 6$ for 88$ of purchase and she peaked and saw how much i tipped her so when i handed her back that electronic billing device she *smirked* an insulting sound, then she tossed our receipt on the table and rushed away. After showing us how cheap she is, i stood up followed her to the counter and tipped her 20$ more, and then she was all sweet again, like she had this invisible mask, On and Off. Do i have to follow the rules set by corporations at everything going in my life? no i am not an out-law, but not everybody is a freaking billy-the-bill-gates. what if i can only tip 6$ ? does it give a waiter the right to insult me? When i meet people like these, the more i love my dog.

$6? How embarrassing! If you can't afford the proper tip you shouldn't be eating out in the first place! Why didn't your friends chip in for the tip? if the service was okay tip 15% If the was service excellent tip 20% or more. You don't have to follow the rules, but if you're out on a date i suggest you do.

$6? How embarrassing! If you can't afford the proper tip you shouldn't be eating out in the first place! Why didn't your friends chip in for the tip? if the service was okay tip 15% If the was service excellent tip 20% or more. You don't have to follow the rules, but if you're out on a date i suggest you do.

Yeah you should have made it $100 even ($12 tip) at the very least, if not more. I agree with Gabe if you aren't comfortable tipping like that then perhaps you should be reconsider dining out.

At the same time though, the server shouldn't have displayed her displeasure like that either, even if the tip was poor.

Here's a question for the servers in the crowd:

Do you prefer the tip in cash or added to the charge/debit total? I usually pay using debit but often have a little pocket money. Just wondering if it makes any difference. I've never felt comfortable leaving cash on the table and then you have to explain to the cashier that the tip is on the table when doing debit and selecting no tip. On the flipside, I often wonder if the server gets their full due when you add it to debit or charge. If they have worked hard and made your visit pleasant, they should reap the benefit (along with cooks), not the slackers or folks who don't make an effort.

I usually tip 15% on top of the total bill, which works around 18%. Sometimes I tip a bit more or a bit less with so-so service, but I have never been in situation where I wouldn't tip at all (with exception of some all-tip-in service in some European countries). Can you please share your stories when you were compelled not to give any tip?

I, too, am a believer that one should plan accordingly when dining out. Tax and tip must always be budgeted into the cost. That said, I am also a firm believer that gratuities are earned, not entitled. If I could, I'd actually abolish tipping altogether, simply have the retailer wrap it all into their pricing, enforce a no tipping by-law and pay their wait staff a higher wage commensurate to the tip they would've otherwise received. Would this instigate less enthusiasm amongst the wait staff? Maybe, but underperforming staff can be handled like in any other business.

There are plenty of other jobs in the hospitality industry where tipping is not required and both employee morale and customer service are still first-class. I don't see why the restaurant industry can't be the same.

First of all, you do NOT have to tip. It is not a requirement. I no longer tip anyone. Cab drivers, restaurants, bartenders. It's ridiculous, and a waste of money. It has nothing to do with being able to afford it.

First of all, you do NOT have to tip. It is not a requirement. I no longer tip anyone. Cab drivers, restaurants, bartenders. It's ridiculous, and a waste of money. It has nothing to do with being able to afford it.

It is etiquette. That's pretty ridiculous.

Anyways, I tip at minimum 15%. My issue though is you have waiters who do the bare minimum and expect a good tip. A good tip is earned and I find some waiters do not work for their tips.

As someone said earlier. Just build the tip into the price and let us move on with our lives. Such a simple solution.

What a cheap ass you are!! These severs bust their balls off while making below minimum wage. I used to be a server, if you don't tip, I would strongly suggest never going back to the same restaurant twice, because I have seen first hand what servers and cooks do to food for people they remember who didn't tip. ;)

What a cheap ass you are!! These severs bust their balls off while making below minimum wage. I used to be a server, if you don't tip, I would strongly suggest never going back to the same restaurant twice, because I have seen first hand what servers and cooks do to food for people they remember who didn't tip. ;)
It's not my fault that they aren't paid better. And anyone who would tamper with the food over that is not someone who should be working in the food industry. I'm assuming you reported the people you saw first hand doing things to food that was being served to customers? If not, well that says way more about you than it does me not tipping.

It's not my fault that they aren't paid better. And anyone who would tamper with the food over that is not someone who should be working in the food industry. I'm assuming you reported the people you saw first hand doing things to food that was being served to customers? If not, well that says way more about you than it does me not tipping.

I think it's safe to say you've ingested the most restaurant-server bodily fluids in Toronto.

Thankfully you're vain/ridiculous enough to use your photo as your avatar. Any UT members who are also servers will be able to pre-treat your food!

Last edited:

Back