News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I agree these buildings need to be preserved and revitalized. I would like to see a modern tivoli gardens created.

but i think a change is definitely needed... it's out dated. I agree that maybe keeping the sphere is the right idea though.

This site has so much potential for development without touching the original buildings.
There should be a stronger connection to the mainland/CNE which would attract more people. Seems like the parking lot is creating an unfortunate massive barrier between the two.

^^^ good observation about the parking lots...

I have never used the parking lots to either Ontario Place or the CNE. They are barriers that don't belong anymore and a relict of the automobile age. That is why I think any redevelopment should start with building over the parking lot to hide it from view and to get the entrance more closer to transit.

Last edited:
I can't believe anybody is this day and age could seriously suggest we tear Ontario Place down. There's plenty of land along the waterfront for something iconic elsewhere. In fact expand Ontario Place north over Lakeshore to connect with the CNE.

Over and over we see great buildings reaching about 40 years of age, and then being torn down. I too can't believe someone would propose tearing down the pods, they are a fabulous work of architecture, quite open plan inside, that could be repurposed in many different ways, including taking them back to 1970 and showcasing the beauty of Ontario and the creativity of its citizens. They are iconic to this city as few buildings are.

The dome and pods are iconic, a vision of the future from an era of progress. I could wax poetic for pages but in a nut shell, Ontario place is an inspiration that harkens thinking out of the box.

Access is also an issue. I agree that the parking lots are ugly but getting there is public transport there is terrible. Part of the plan must include better public transit service.

If the Cinesphere is in very bad condition, maybe if they rebuild the single-screen IMAX sphere with are a larger multi-screens IMAX Cinesphere. Never did like waiting in line to watch a film on the single screen.

Back