News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

IBikeTO cycling advocacy group recommends supporters email pwic@toronto.ca asking to extend Richmond/Adelaide bike lane EA to Eastern bike lanes.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.PW9.9

I'm all in favour of bike lanes but the most easterly North-South bike lane on both Adelaide and Richmond is Sherbourne so it makes sense to end the EA there. Neither Adelaide nor Richmond intersect with Eastern which is another east-west street and has no bike lanes anyway.

I'm all in favour of bike lanes but the most easterly North-South bike lane on both Adelaide and Richmond is Sherbourne so it makes sense to end the EA there. Neither Adelaide nor Richmond intersect with Eastern which is another east-west street and has no bike lanes anyway.

Richmond and Adelaide turn into Eastern Ave when they cross the Don. Eastern, east of the Logan Ave, has bike lanes.

Richmond and Adelaide turn into Eastern Ave when they cross the Don. Eastern, east of the Logan Ave, has bike lanes.

Yes, sort of, but there's really no cycling on either east of Parliament Street as they are essentially on and off ramps for the DVP. You CAN cycle over the Eastern Avenue Diversion (bridge) to get across the Don but, as noted above, it's VERY scary!

It's true that we need a proper cycle path over the Don River (the best way now is on the Lakeshore trail) but I really think using Adelaide and Richmond would be crazy.

Richmond and Adelaide are fine the way they are. What needs change in terms of traffic rules is Queen St. I am surprised that parking is allow on this busiest commercial street, making the already congest traffic even worse. Cars should be forbidden to enter queen st from Yonge to Buthurst, to make this street a lot more pedestrian friendly. Street cars, however, should be able to run on it. People on Queen West will J-walk no matter what as both sides are full of interesting store, and right now, it is very dangerous. Driving on Queen is a nightmare and shouldn't be allowed in the first place.

As to Richmond and Adelaide, as someone pointed out, the problem is not one way or two way, it is the the use of these streets. There is hardly anything on Adelaide street, and not much on Richmond either save one busy portion. So why people would ever stop there? Most people will either bike or drive along these two just to get somewhere (just like on Bay st). For a pedestrian, I'd walk on King or Queen.

Additionally, Yonge St between Queen and Bloor should be pedestrian only as well, if we really want to be pedestrian friendly. Drivers can use either Bay or Jarvis street easily. Why would anyone choose to drive on downtown Yonge anyway?

Yes, sort of, but there's really no cycling on either east of Parliament Street as they are essentially on and off ramps for the DVP. You CAN cycle over the Eastern Avenue Diversion (bridge) to get across the Don but, as noted above, it's VERY scary!

It's true that we need a proper cycle path over the Don River (the best way now is on the Lakeshore trail) but I really think using Adelaide and Richmond would be crazy.

I agree completely! Is the idea that if they're talking about physically-separated lanes on Richmond or Adelaide, that using the Eastern Ave bridge would become a feasible option? Perhaps grey could clarify?

The Lakeshore trail is good but it needs some serious improvements.

Back