News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Interestingly, the games have only twice been in a Spanish-speaking country (Barcelona & Mexico) and never in Spanish-speaking South America despite three past bids from Buenos Aires. Even with the 2016 Olympics, they chose the only non-Spanish speaking country in all of South America, though its most populous (this is Rio's second bid for the Olympics).

If I was a Spanish-speaking South American, I'd be wondering when we'll get our turn at the Olympics.

I'm not sure language is a big issue. This is the third Olympics in the southern hemisphere. Like it or not, but that fact that the south has opposite seasons to the North means that they make undesirable hosts to the majority of the athletic world.

they chose the only non-Spanish speaking country in all of South America, though its most populous (this is Rio's second bid for the Olympics).
My apologies to Guyana, French Guyana and Suriname...I was thinking of this post last night and thought to myself, bloody heck I'd forgotten about them.

I'm not sure language is a big issue. This is the third Olympics in the southern hemisphere. Like it or not, but that fact that the south has opposite seasons to the North means that they make undesirable hosts to the majority of the athletic world.
Good point. Interestingly, both previous Games have been in Australia.

Beyond seasons, there is also the fact that the vast majority of people live in the Northern Hemisphere. There's just a lot more water down there in the Southern half.

Hemisferio_Sur.png

Yeah, it gets really cold in Rio...

With the obvious exception of Australia and New Zealand, most of the other Southern Hemisphere countries seem to have big problems with violent crime, and many suffer from corruption and political instability.

Of course, beyond that, there are maybe five or so cities in the entire southern hemisphere that could reasonably be capable of hosting an Olympic Games.

I'd say 5 or 6 countries, but it's true that the number of cities is limited. Still, climate is only an issue for some of them, and it's not like the games happen at a set-in-stone time of the year even when held in the north, anyway. There's always flexibility, even when pro sports leagues whine about interference ("only 7 years to reschedule a few games?!?").

Winter Games could work in places like Chile or New Zealand.

Of course, beyond that, there are maybe five or so cities in the entire southern hemisphere that could reasonably be capable of hosting an Olympic Games.
More than 5. Off the top of my head, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Jakarta, Yogyakarta, Bandung (which might be a better choice that the other two in July/August), Buenos Aires, Rio, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Lima, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, ... and probably another half-dozen Brazilian cities I've never heard of.

With the obvious exception of Australia and New Zealand, most of the other Southern Hemisphere countries seem to have big problems with violent crime, and many suffer from corruption and political instability.
Like that's ever been an issue before. Beijing got the Olympics, despite the corruption there; and with frequent uprisings. And look at Seoul ... it was awarded the Olympics way back in 1981, when they were still an authoritarian dictatorship!

Last edited:
More than 5. Off the top of my head, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Jakarta, Yogyakarta, Bandung (which might be a better choice that the other two in July/August), Buenos Aires, Rio, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Lima, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, ... and probably another half-dozen Brazilian cities I've never heard of.

Like that's ever been an issue before. Beijing got the Olympics, despite the corruption there; and with frequent uprisings. And look at Seoul ... it was awarded the Olympics way back in 1981, when they were still an authoritarian dictatorship!

If you think that Auckland, much less Jakarta could host an Olympics, I don't think you grasp the infrastructure requirements involved. Cities need to have tens of thousands of hotel rooms close to the event site, sophisticated transport systems, a modern, high capacity airport, etc.

I'd say 5 or 6 countries, but it's true that the number of cities is limited. Still, climate is only an issue for some of them, and it's not like the games happen at a set-in-stone time of the year even when held in the north, anyway. There's always flexibility, even when pro sports leagues whine about interference ("only 7 years to reschedule a few games?!?").

Winter Games could work in places like Chile or New Zealand.

Actually, the Winter Games are much more seasonal. I think this is why we haven't seen these go to the southern hemisphere, despite being smaller and thus less challenging.

Sydney hosted in late Septemeber or October, IIRC, which is early spring there. The weather was a bit spotty.

If you think that Auckland, much less Jakarta could host an Olympics, I don't think you grasp the infrastructure requirements involved. Cities need to have tens of thousands of hotel rooms close to the event site, sophisticated transport systems, a modern, high capacity airport, etc.
And you think Seoul had that back in 1981 ... only 28-years after the end of the Korean war?

On that list, I think Auckland was the biggest stretch.

The Olympics have changed significantly since 1988. They're much bigger affairs now. I think Lillehammer is and will be the last non-major city to host a games. Everything since and everything in the future is going to revolve around places that have the infrastructure and ability to produce. Rio is borderline risky and I think it's going to be really interesting to see if they can pull it off considering they're hosting a World Cup two years prior, and we've seen a lot of problems in the lead up to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. These types of places just aren't at the level that were used to when it comes to all of the things afransen mentioned, and that's a cause for concern (if not for the IOC then for the athletes.)

I disagree. Pyeongchang came within a handful of votes of winning 2014 and it's barely bigger than Lillehammer. But the Winter and Summer games are different.

Still, I'd think that any South American city I mentioned could handle the summer games right now; and I really don't see why Indonesia couldn't pull it off either.

Well, I suppose any country could pull it off in a large city, if money was no object. China didn't mind dropping $40 billion on sprucing up Beijing. Would Indonesia be able to shell out that kind of money to bring Jakarta up to snuff?

Keep in mind, these cities are competing against European and North American cities with very sophisticated and well-developed infrastructure. Second rate won't cut it.

Actually, the Winter Games are much more seasonal. I think this is why we haven't seen these go to the southern hemisphere, despite being smaller and thus less challenging.

Sydney hosted in late Septemeber or October, IIRC, which is early spring there. The weather was a bit spotty.

We haven't seen a Winter Games in the southern hemisphere for the simple reason that no one's attempted to host them there and the fact that there's barely 2 or 3 places in the south that could even host Winter Games, compared to dozens of countries in the north that can host them. It all depends on the elevation of the skiing zones and when they have snow (and if they can keep the snow around and the bobsled track frozen for a few weeks). If the games need to be held in November or whatever, athletes and ISFs will have many years to adjust.

Summer Games are held pretty much any time between July and October, with the Opening Ceremonies shifting by weeks every 4 years, back or forth.

And Beijing would have spent billions on infrastructure with or without hosting, but the Olympics were a good excuse to go on a municipal shopping spree and scratch some things off their to-do list. The IOC doesn't really care how many city-building expenses host cities/nations tie to the games, but they may start to at some point if the one-upmanship and expectations discourage potential bidders and, subsequently, the spread of Olympism. If anyone thinks too much was spent on infrastructure and other stuff in Beijing, just wait till India hosts...

Back