News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Fair enough. I would love a Jewish deli or a nice French restaurant. In terms of deli, any news on Shopsy's moving into the old The Works location (not that everyone would call Shopsy's a proper deli). Has Ex-Montreal Girl tried CJ's Deli yet - she was going to let us know of her judgment (I thought it was pretty good). As for French, at least we are all relatively close to Batifole at Gerrard and Logan.

Sorry Skeezix, I haven't. Been on a non-meat kick for months. Been going to places like Tabule down on Queen, where I've been a zillion times. Love love that fried eggplant. Also love Diana's Oyster Bar -- Warden and Lawrence -- which I think has the best seafood in town. Like the lobster at the Combine Eatery. Gonna be trying Red Castle soon.

As for the old Mr. Greek locale, if it isn't divided up, I think the only things that could survive there are the big chains. (I know. Perish the thought.) A Montana's, a Mandarin, a Keg.

There's no Mandarin to my knowledge south of Eg & Yonge and it's a good family option. All you can eat for a reasonable price and even the pickiest eaters can find something they like. I confess I kinda like them because I love to load my plate with their veg choices plus seafood.

I've never been to Montana's but I hear their ribs are okay. Plus they have all the requisite meat food.

A Keg with a nice patio would do well, given the right decor. Surf and turf. Or some sort of steak & chop house.

A Portuguese chicken place? Excellent. But the place is too big for a one trick pony like that. Portuguese chicken places tend to be holes in the wall.

I would also love a good French resto but the neighbourhood is wrong. Batifole survives because it is extremely specialized and small with I suspect very low rent.

As for the old Mr. Greek locale, if it isn't divided up, I think the only things that could survive there are the big chains. (I know. Perish the thought.) A Montana's, a Mandarin, a Keg.

Yeah, probably. They've been doing a lot of work on that space, but without building permits, so it's either illegal work, or more likely, the changes are largely cosmetic and don't trigger the need for a building permit. I don't think, therefore, that it's being divided up.

A Portuguese chicken place? Excellent. But the place is too big for a one trick pony like that. Portuguese chicken places tend to be holes in the wall.

Unless you're Nando's.

I would also love a good French resto but the neighbourhood is wrong. Batifole survives because it is extremely specialized and small with I suspect very low rent.

I've read interviews with Batifole's owner. The business is no walk in the park at that location. I don't think it would have survived Danforth rents.

Fried eggplant - to each their own, I suppose. :)

Don't knock it til you have tried it. And have the fried cauliflower too.

One of the reasons I don't think a churrasqueira would survive a large location is because chicken gyro, chicken souvlaki, chicken wings etc. abound in this hood. A place with a few tables and focusing on takeout would be awesome though. Try the chicken on a spit at the Greek Grill up on Pape by the way. Not sure if it's available on weekdays but on summer Sundays it's definitely there outside on a spit. Really good.

Anybody know how the Forth is doing? I haven't heard any buzz for ages and I have yet to go. I have come to the point that I am pretty tired of fancy shmancy plates at ridic prices.

I do love fried cauliflower.

They appear to have split the old Friendly Greek space in two, and it looks like something will be moving into the western half.

Yeah, I noticed.

Also, on Broadview, just south of Browning, that creepy taxidermy shop of the west side is closed up and its windows papered over.

Noticed this morning that the west half of the old Friendly Greek space will be a bakery and cafe. Have already forgotten the name.

Also, on Broadview, just south of Browning, that creepy taxidermy shop of the west side is closed up and its windows papered over.
Ohthankgod. That place gave me the willies.

I'm not surprised that the Friendly Greek site has been split -- I think one of the major problems with it was the size was just too large to be sustainable for most restaurants (especially a generic family-friendly Greek place).

The bakery will be called Absolute Bakery & Cafe
There will also be a new restaurant called Hunters (Souvlaki & Pizza) in the old Home Hardware space just east of Pape..the new Home Hardware is still in development a couple doors down

If it's another outpost of the Cabbagetown Absolute bakery, you're in for a treat. Lovely place, lovely people, super rotis for $2.

That will be nice. The BlogTO article, and accompanying comments, make it seem as though it's an unpretentious place with terrific food. We used to have SweetTooth across the street (where Crema Coffee is now), which under its first owner was so very very pretty, but everything was mediocre taste-wise. It will be good to have the opposite.

Absolute Bakery is amazing, and the Danforth is in for a treat if this location is anywhere near is good as the original.

Energia Athletics on Danforth (east of Broadview) will be moving to Pape Ave (north of Danforth)

Back