News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think you're thinking of the lot at Playter, not Ellerbeck (the lots at Ellerbeck are now occupied by LCBO and Shoppers respectively). I understand (I believe that it was posted earlier on this thread) that Toronto Parking Authority acquired the site for a parking lot. Disappointing, but the BIAs have long clamored for more parking, and it appears as though Fragedakis may have helped coordinate this.

As for why there are not more midrise proposals between Pape and Broadview, there are likely a few reasons. Before it was acquired by the Big Carrot and renovated into Carrot Common, the former car dealership site at Danforth and Jackman was subject to a highrise proposal in the early 80s (don't recall the proposed height) which IIRC was defeated at the OMB. While that defeat was sufficiently long ago that it doesn't act as much of a precedent today, especially in relation to more modest midrise proposals, it apparently acted as a brake on property assembly along the west Danforth for quite some time. So the whole stretch is largely still characterized today by a lot of smaller landholdings, all of which have gone up tremendously in value, making property acquisition a costly and difficult exercise. We are only now starting to see midrise proposals further east along the Danforth, where land acquisition and rezonings are undoubtedly difficult, but presumably easier than along the more expensive western Danforth bounded by two wealthier/more entitled neighbourhoods.

ETA: Not a lot of detail here, and turns out the proposal might not have gotten all the way to the OMB:

"As land values along the Danforth boomed during the 1980s, Tridel took out an option on the Danforth-Jackman property in about 1985 and planned to build a high-rise building, but was forced to cancel the project due to strong neighbourhood opposition."

It's worth noting that the landowner on the SW corner of Logan and Danforth reportedly long tried to interest his neighbours in a redevelopment. Demetra's restaurant next door even sat vacant for years while these negotiations went on. He could never make a deal, and finally went ahead with the skinny four-storey building that now sits on his property alone.

Assuming that's true, it's pretty emblematic of the difficulties involved in property assembly along the Danforth.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that the landowner on the SW corner of Logan and Danforth long reportedly tried to interest his neighbours in a redevelopment. Demetra's restaurant next door even sat vacant for years while these negotiations went on.

Good God, yea, that restaurant was vacant for at least 15 years. With all the furniture and bar equipment left intact.

I'm wondering why there is no low rise condo proposals for the strip from Pape to Broadview? One empty lot in particular stands out at Ellerbeck? There are 3 subway stops and two major bus routes, it's very close to downtown and has quick access to highways. What do you think the reason is?
Don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've heard that the lots along the Danforth are too shallow to build much density with the angular plane restrictions and such, and I guess the economics can't justify low-rise.

I always thought there was an eight-storey height restriction. Or am I wrong?
Also, I am pretty sure that, the other day, I noticed some sort of new fencing at the NE Playter/Danforth corner.
In any case, seems to me that the best places for midrises, at least on the western portion of the Danforth, are along Broadview and Pape, as per the Keesmaat plan. I imagine the land prices are cheaper, there are plenty of one-two storey buildings that nobody would mourn if they were knocked down, and the transit is pretty darn good.

Don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've heard that the lots along the Danforth are too shallow to build much density with the angular plane restrictions and such, and I guess the economics can't justify low-rise.

Yes and no. Some stretches have shallower lots, but others do not. For example, the lots on the south side of Danforth, on the west side of Bowden, are deeper than the lots on the east side of Bowden. But there are lots on the west Danforth that are likely sufficiently deep for midrise. For example, 1030 Danforth on the east Danforth (site of a current midrise proposal) is not quite as deep as some of the lots on the west Danforth.

But, generally speaking, there are other places in the city with deeper lots than the Danforth.

Last edited:
I always thought there was an eight-storey height restriction. Or am I wrong?

The current zoning has a 16m limit on the west Danforth, dropping to 14m around Langford and eastward. The 16m would translate to roughly 5 residential storeys, give or take. But, of course, zoning is meant to be amended.

The midrise guidelines might effectively result in an 8-storey or so limit, but again, those are guidelines, regardless of how much Planning wants to adhere to them.

Also, I am pretty sure that, the other day, I noticed some sort of new fencing at the NE Playter/Danforth corner.
In any case, seems to me that the best places for midrises, at least on the western portion of the Danforth, are along Broadview and Pape, as per the Keesmaat plan. I imagine the land prices are cheaper, there are plenty of one-two storey buildings that nobody would mourn if they were knocked down, and the transit is pretty darn good.

Agreed.

The remaining space of the former Friendly Greek restaurant on Danforth is being filled by:

"T & A Toronto Asian"

I can only hope that the proprietors aren't aware of the more common association with those two letters. Because otherwise it sounds like a specialty strip club.

I had visitors over this past weekend, and they all said the same thing when they saw it. "T&A? They know what that means, right?"

I posted earlier that I overheard (eavesdropped) on a conversation among some of the local business owners, where they said the tenant was overpaying for the space. That, combined with this name, suggests that (s)he is in over his/her head, and Ex-Montreal Girl's prediction that they will soon be gone will come true.

Noticed this morning that Sully's Sandwich Kitchen on Gerrard has paper over the windows. Hope it's just some renovations, but the place has likely gone belly-up (it opened roughly a year ago, late Nov/early Dec 2014). Too bad - great sandwiches.

Not surprisingly, The Forth appears to now be an event space/banquet hall. No longer a restaurant. (Would actually make a decent spot for a wedding reception)

Walked by T&A last night around 8 pm. Other places on the strip were packed (other than Pizza Libretto which was closed due to a water main break on Carlaw which cut their water), but T&A was empty. Three staff members standing behind the counter staring at the empty tables.

Walked by T&A last night around 8 pm. Other places on the strip were packed (other than Pizza Libretto which was closed due to a water main break on Carlaw which cut their water), but T&A was empty. Three staff members standing behind the counter staring at the empty tables.

I picked up one of their menus. Pricey sushi offerings and an even pricier all you can eat option ($29 for weekend!) with not a lot of premium-type items to justify the price (e.g. tatakis, specialty seafood rolls like you get from Fushimi on Church St). With Sushi Friends just down the street offering pretty much the same menu but at a much lower price-point ($21 for all you can eat on weekends), this new place won't last that long... unless they lower their prices.

Noticed this morning that Sully's Sandwich Kitchen on Gerrard has paper over the windows. Hope it's just some renovations, but the place has likely gone belly-up (it opened roughly a year ago, late Nov/early Dec 2014). Too bad - great sandwiches.

Happy to say I was likely wrong here. Walked by today and there is a sign in the window saying it is closed for renovations. Supposedly until today, according to the sign. We'll see if it does reopen. Hope so - great sandwiches.

Back