News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Benjamin Moore Paints opened up at the NE corner of Danforth and Langford. Not necessarily the most active use in terms of street frontage but this unit had been vacant since I moved to the area 4.5 years ago so it's nice to see something there (and it's my favourite paint brand in case I need anything). Previously the unit was a Starbucks but that relocated to the other end of the block at Dewhurst and ultimately closed last year. That unit is still vacant.

On the other side of Dewhurst a former TD Bank branch will be a second location for Little Dribblers, a basketball program and facility for children.

The Star with an article on Wong's Ice Cream along Gerrard/East Chinatown, which closed towards the end of December 2021:

During the pandemic, Wong kept fusing East Asian and Southeast Asian flavours into ice cream, and his fervent base of supporters kept him busy. But as his lease comes to an end, Wong has decided it’s time to close up shop permanently.

“If I was in my 30s, I’d keep going. But I miss the hospitality, it’s not the same,” said Wong.

Wong’s influence is palpable. It wasn’t long ago when flavours like ‘ube’ or ‘Vietnamese iced coffee’ were not common. Maybe in Richmond Hill or Markham as a weekly special, but certainly not within city limits. Wong changed all that.

After collaborating on an ice cream stand at the Hamilton Farmers’ Market, he decided to open a shop.

“I come from a family of restaurant owners. My dad owned and worked in restaurants for many years in Scarborough. I never wanted to follow that. I was a designer in my previous life,” said Wong.

“East Chinatown is a bit of a relic, but when I opened in 2017, things were happening,” said Wong. The same year, a boutique chocolate shop opened down the street, a Texas barbecue restaurant, a wine bar, a cheese shop.

That movement has continued as more new wave food places have continued to open on Gerrard Street. The rest of the city also started to follow Wong’s philosophy with ice cream.

“Since the beginning I have just made flavours that I personally like. Flavours that you don’t ever see at most ice cream shops,” said Wong. For one of his first and most popular flavours, Wong used the iconic White Rabbit candy, mixed with vanilla. It was so popular, ice cream shops in Los Angeles adopted the idea. “I’m happy if that is my legacy.”

We are spoiled now as dozens of ice cream shops across the city follow in Wong’s foot steps. Ice cream flavoured like Hong Kong milk tea or mango sticky rice is becoming more common.

“I’ve listened to many stories over the past few weeks about how people have felt seen by these flavours, that it has made them appreciate their own culture in a way,” said Wong.

BlogTO also with a piece:

Last edited:
The old Tim Hortons @ 481 Danforth @ Logan is being gutted, there is a City of Toronto building permit to convert it to a Rehab Clinic. El Charo Mexican Restaurant is moving from Broadview Ave into the old Brass Taps @ 493 Danforth next month and the old Relish Resto-Bar @ 511 Danforth is being converted to a Dental Clinic.

The old Tim Hortons @ 481 Danforth @ Logan is being gutted, there is a City of Toronto building permit to convert it to a Rehab Clinic. El Charo Mexican Restaurant is moving from Broadview Ave into the old Brass Taps @ 493 Danforth next month and the old Relish Resto-Bar @ 511 Danforth is being converted to a Dental Clinic.

Poor Relish. They did really well closer to my neck-of-the-woods, east of Woodbine............then moved to take advantage of that success......then the pandemic hit.

Plan for an additional floor above the building where Greenwood Smokehouse is located, along Danforth just east of Pape:

673 DANFORTH AVE
Ward 14: Toronto-Danforth

To alter the existing two-storey mixed-use building by constructing: a rear second-storey addition; a new third-storey addition; a new front and rear rooftop patio; and new rear stairs leading to the second and third levels. The additions will provide a total of four one-bedroom dwelling units. Furthermore, there will be zero parking spaces and zero bicycle parking.

gren.JPG

Live music venue, Hugh's Room, are planning to make a comeback and open at 296 Broadview Ave (one block south of Gerrard East). They were previously located in the Dundas West/Roncy area for nearly 20 years but closed in 2020:

bro.JPG

Last edited:
A dumpster in front of 722 Gerrard St East, which is on the north side of the street and a bit west of Howland Rd, on the eastern edge of the East Chinatown core.

The property looks to be in need of some TLC for a while now

View attachment 395996View attachment 395997

No permits pulled at this address

MiMi's pho is moving next door. Apparently, their owner refused to renovate anything so they have now rented the house next door instead. I think they've been at their current location for 28 years.

1651020886826.png

But permits were pulled at this one!

Few tidbits:
- Former New York Cafe and sort-of Big Munch Grill (check their Google reviews, eeks) now has a sign up for the "New Yorker". Also some real estate listings are up for the restaurant so... *shrugs*
Snazzy new sign for "The Broadview Diner (est. 2022)" is now up at this location (Broadview/Danforth SE corner).

Snazzy new sign for "The Broadview Diner (est. 2022)" is now up at this location (Broadview/Danforth SE corner).
I peeked in the window and the walls look similar to The Donlands Diner with images of Hollywood stars from the golden era. I wonder if the diner on Donlands is moving there or did the owner purchase a second location...

Back