News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

One more from today.

PXL_20220305_215207800.jpg

I guess some dock wall demolition as well.

PXL_20220305_215316726.jpg

A NOIP, LOL (notice of intended procurement) is posted on the City's website for Owner's Engineering services for the next stage of the Gardiner's rehab, the York Street to Grand Magazine section.

1668550471558.png

good to see it going forward.

Does anyone know if the city still plans on implementing the interchange works and minor widenings in key locations that was approved about a decade ago for the West Gardiner? It would be good to fix a few of the safety issues with the existing configuration.

The ones planned in this 2011 report:

Oh boy let's not start another Scarborough RT style infrastructure debacle, let's just get on with rehabilitating the damn thing, before this thing literally collapses and crumbles. Unlike the RT, we cant keep the Gardiner held together by duct tape.

TL : DR:

The City has already built part of the Hybrid option by rebuilding the Gardiner between Jarvis and Cherry - changing to the remove option would require the demolition of this newly rebuilt section, throwing about $350 million down a hole.

Additionally, an EA amendment would be required which would delay the project by years.

These two combined would basically negate the entirety of the original savings that the remove option represented, and indeed may result in the remove option being *more* expensive.

Oh boy let's not start another Scarborough RT style infrastructure debacle, let's just get on with rehabilitating the damn thing, before this thing literally collapses and crumbles. Unlike the RT, we cant keep the Gardiner held together by duct tape.

I've got a different option. Just close it. All of it; lock every gate.

Tell the province, you want it open, you pay for it, and you pay for all the money we already wasted on it too.

That is within the City's Authority, and does not require an EA. Its the same premise as a weekend maintenance closure or temporary lane restriction; its just indefinite.

I expect the province will be along with some new cash forthwith.

I've got a different option. Just close it. All of it; lock every gate.

Tell the province, you want it open, you pay for it, and you pay for all the money we already wasted on it too.

That is within the City's Authority, and does not require an EA. Its the same premise as a weekend maintenance closure or temporary lane restriction; its just indefinite.

I expect the province will be along with some new cash forthwith.
Maybe not today.

Maybe after all the GO Train expansion, SmartTrack stations, and after Lines 5 & 6 opens for service. Then close the Gardiner and Don Valley as a money saving (and upload to the province as a gift).

Maybe not today.

Maybe after all the GO Train expansion, SmartTrack stations, and after Lines 5 & 6 opens for service. Then close the Gardiner and Don Valley as a money saving (and upload to the province as a gift).

Uhhh; Walter.......... you do get that the point of this discussion was the need to find money for The City, NOW; in this budget; not in 2033, right?

Also, while I am entirely serious, the point of the above exercise is not that the Gardiner will be permanently closed right now (much as I might approve); its that the province would find it unacceptable and insist it be re-opened and would either upload it; or give the City some cash to incent the City to reopen it.

Back