News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Don't count on it.

Most drivers, and people in general, view the East Gardiner as more of just a connector between where the Gardiner REALLY starts and the DVP. Convincing some to tear the eastern section may be difficult but the western section would probably be impossible. The western section is a far, far more important downtown access freeway than is the eastern.

Why is the western section more important? Is it because there are more people living in the west end then there are in the east end?

Why is the western section more important? Is it because there are more people living in the west end then there are in the east end?
Because there is much, much, much more traffic on the Western Gardiner. Most of those travelling downtown using the DVP, get off at Richmond/Adelaide. Most of those travelling from the west, don't get off after Jarvis.

It's only the short piece that is grossly underused, and ironically the piece that is 8 lanes wide rather than 6, that they are proposing to eliminate.

It will be interesting to see how councilors not just in North York and Scarborough react to this, but also those in Durham, Markham, Richmond Hill, Aurora, Newmarket and beyond as well. Heck, you might even get some blowback from Vaughan, as I could see some drivers take the 407 to the 404 to get downtown, as to avoid the poorly built 400 to 401 west junction.

If the removal is done along with improving public transportation along the DVP corridor, I'll happily push down the lever to set off the dynamite. The reality is though that transportation routes into and through downtown are beyond capacity, and removing the Gardiner will only stress what little infrastructure we have even further.

It will be interesting to see how councilors not just in North York and Scarborough react to this, but also those in Durham, Markham, Richmond Hill, Aurora, Newmarket and beyond as well. Heck, you might even get some blowback from Vaughan, as I could see some drivers take the 407 to the 404 to get downtown, as to avoid the poorly built 400 to 401 west junction.
Why would it effect most of them. Wouldn't most get off at Bloor or Richmond/Adelaide?

Who gives a damn what non-Torontonians think? I don't see any cities coughing up any money to fix the Gardiner.

I do agree, however, that an 8 lane road is ludicrous and should be 6 lanes at most.

Can someone bring up the idea of ripping out the Allen now...

I would be all up for it.

Replace it with a 2-3 lane road on either side of the TTC tracts, and reap all the benefits of all that newly available space adjacent to a subway line and not far from the downtown core.

Who gives a damn what non-Torontonians think? I don't see any cities coughing up any money to fix the Gardiner.

I do agree, however, that an 8 lane road is ludicrous and should be 6 lanes at most.

Since the province downloaded the QEW west of the 427, so that it became Toronto's problem along with the rest of the Gardiner, non-Torontoians shouldn't have a say. Unless they upload the Gardiner & Don Valley up to the province.

Since the province downloaded the QEW west of the 427, so that it became Toronto's problem along with the rest of the Gardiner, non-Torontoians shouldn't have a say. Unless they upload the Gardiner & Don Valley up to the province.

If the removal is done along with improving public transportation along the DVP corridor, I'll happily push down the lever to set off the dynamite. The reality is though that transportation routes into and through downtown are beyond capacity, and removing the Gardiner will only stress what little infrastructure we have even further.

I think Electrify is answering the question here. It seems like a hugely popular notion to upload the Gardiner and DVP to the Province since it will gain much political support from the Boroughs (Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke) and also from the 905. I could easily see a Provincial Party make this promise since it has the potential for huge electoral gains, while only sacrificing a small handful of downtown seats.

I would be all up for it.

Replace it with a 2-3 lane road on either side of the TTC tracts, and reap all the benefits of all that newly available space adjacent to a subway line and not far from the downtown core.

Isn't that what the Allen is? If you replace one 3 lane road with another, how does it create newly available space?

What if the Allen and Gardiner projects are linked? By that I mean, the profit generated from reconfiguring the Allen and selling off the land can go into the funds for burying the Gardiner. Money from Gardiner land sale + Allen land sale + tolls makes for a pretty interesting formula.

Why would it effect most of them. Wouldn't most get off at Bloor or Richmond/Adelaide?

When I had a car, on the rare occasion where I would drive downtown, I usually got off at the Yonge/Bay/York exit. The only reason why I would get off at Richmond is if my destination was in the central-east part of downtown (ie: Eaton's Centre). Even the GO buses which travel the DVP into the city use these ramps rather than Richmond and Adelaide.

And while I admittedly didn't mention it, Burloak is right that I think the Gardiner and DVP should be uploaded to the province. While they are admittedly useful to those in the inner suburbs, they are just as important if not more so to those in the 905.

Back