News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Gas taxes and vehicle levies are the fairest way........the more you drive, the more you pay.

Tolls on all gta highways is the fairest way.... gas taxes just reward people who can afford Tesla's (which are already getting money back from the government for buying a luxury ev). On the other hand if you want people to buy ev's then increase the gas tax. At the very least id buy a hybrid for my next car if not a Tesla.

Tolls cause traffic congestion on every road except the road that gets tolled, as we can see with Highway 407/Highway 7. If the Gardiner gets tolled and Lake Shore does not, expect hour-long traffic jams on Lake Shore in rush hour.

Though if the Gardiner and DVP did get tolled, it might give council a strong incentive to stop allowing either highway to be closed for special events, and to do construction at night instead of shutting down the highway for an entire weekend. Closing the Gardiner and DVP unnecessarily if the highways were tolled would deprive the city of toll revenue.

They could only charge tolls on the exits for Gardiner and Don Valley, and if the motor vehicles exit downtown: Jameson, Spadina, Bay/York, Jarvis, Lake Shore East/Don Roadway, Richmond/Adelaide, Queen, Dundas, Bloor/Bayview. If they stay on the Gardiner and Don Valley, past downtown, no tolls, making it a true by-pass.

There is one option that would be expensive to implement but become a cash-cow and Torontonians would love it.........
toll every entry into the city {except the 400s} but no tolls inside city itself. Charge everyone $50 a year to get a "MetroCARpass" and they can travel free on all roads and hence, except for the $50/years, the only people paying the tolls will be non-416 travellers. They could also toll non-416 travellers on the DVP, Gardiner, and Allen so it would be effectively impossible to get downtown fast without paying the toll.

Don't you think tolling 905ers will kill visits to the city? I don't think there should be tolls on existing highways, only new ones. That's where I see an opportunity with tunneled expressways, especially if the tolls help pay for transit.

Don't you think tolling 905ers will kill visits to the city? I don't think there should be tolls on existing highways, only new ones. That's where I see an opportunity with tunneled expressways, especially if the tolls help pay for transit.
Why? Existing highways have yearly escalating maintenance costs.

Also, lol at you still going on and on about your unfeasible tunneled expressways.

Visits are increasingly going to be by transit anyways.

AoD

How absurd. On the one hand you support keeping the elevated eyesore Gardiner in place and oppose all form of underground expressway, yet you like to pretend that somehow Toronto is Paris and people will flock to our relatively unattractive city by transit that doesn't exist or pay tolls on highways that we already pay for through exorbitant taxes. Better yet, don't have any highways at all, not even underground ones, because everyone will wait for transit that won't be built for 50 years. The naivete is incredible. Okay, now I really see the reasons why we're not getting anywhere with transit, moving people, beautifying the core, and making Toronto more liveable.

How absurd. On the one hand you support keeping the elevated eyesore Gardiner in place and oppose all form of underground expressway, yet you like to pretend that somehow Toronto is Paris and people will flock to our relatively unattractive city by transit that doesn't exist or pay tolls on highways that we already pay for through exorbitant taxes. Better yet, don't have any highways at all, not even underground ones, because everyone will wait for transit that won't be built for 50 years. The naivete is incredible. Okay, now I really see the reasons why we're not getting anywhere with transit, moving people, beautifying the core, and making Toronto more liveable.
Makes tons of assumptions and says everyone except you is naive. Typical Euphoria post.

I really wish people would refering to the gardier as an eye soar. It's getting ridiculous. The gardner is a vital part of Toronto's transportation Infrastructure and should stay or be replaced with something that can handle the same amount of traffic. Taking it down is not a magic wand thath will make the traffic diaper on it and we can add all of the public transit we want until we are blue in the face it still isn't going to affect the traffic on the gardner. The Mayor, City council and Waterfront Toronto are living in a dream world if they think they can take down even once section of the gardner and not cause all kinds of traffic problems elsewhere in the city.

The only soloution that would work to get rid of everyone dismiss as to examine would be to barry it. The Big DFig in Boston Was expensive because they add six other projects on to it in addition to the original one.

It comes back to combining tunneling of the DRL with construction of an underground toll expressway for the core from Strachan and the Gardiner to the DVP. That way you relieve surface traffic along King and other streets and provide a funding tool for the capital costs of tunneling the DRL. You can still keep the free elevated Gardiner that people on here seem to love. I'd like to see the same consideration for tunneling the Allen Expressway from Eglinton to the Gardiner as a toll route and combining it with construction of the western leg of the DRL. If this happened, you could eventually have ROW's for the streetcars on King, Queen, College, etc. without impacting auto traffic flows. The City of Toronto has approved a lot of wonderful sounding transit plans, but apart from its funding commitment for the Scarborough subway and Finch LRT, there is no funding tool for the DRL. What's more, Phase One plans for the DRL are weak, with no stations west of University.

It comes back to combining tunneling of the DRL with construction of an underground toll expressway for the core from Strachan and the Gardiner to the DVP. That way you relieve surface traffic along King and other streets and provide a funding tool for the capital costs of tunneling the DRL. You can still keep the free elevated Gardiner that people on here seem to love. I'd like to see the same consideration for tunneling the Allen Expressway from Eglinton to the Gardiner as a toll route and combining it with construction of the western leg of the DRL. If this happened, you could eventually have ROW's for the streetcars on King, Queen, College, etc. without impacting auto traffic flows. The City of Toronto has approved a lot of wonderful sounding transit plans, but apart from its funding commitment for the Scarborough subway and Finch LRT, there is no funding tool for the DRL. What's more, Phase One plans for the DRL are weak, with no stations west of University.

Unlike!

Not going to happen, the underground (toll or no-toll) expressway(s).

Back