News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Now it all makes sense. The reason our central waterfront is underdeveloped and underused is because we're all too lazy to walk there. But wait a minute, go down to the Beaches in the summer and you'll find throngs of people from all over the city walking up and down Queen Street and the boardwalk. How come?

Could it have something to do with the fact that there is no concrete monstrosity looming nearby?

This may come as a shock, but if you walk down to the Harbourfont in the summer, you will find throngs of people from all over the city walking up and down Queen's Quay and the Waterfront Trail.

But let's not pretend these neighbourhoods are remotely equal and that the Expressway is a deciding factor. Harbourfront isn't a beach... it's a harbour.

With all this talk about barriers, I think what some people fail to consider (although Prometheus hinted at this several posts above) is not only the physical space that the Gardiner occupies, but the strips of land flanking it. Due to its function as a limited-acces expressway, surrounding structures are built by necessity to turn their backs to it. The result is a serious disruption to the cohesion of the urban fabric or whatever you want to call it, since there is no built-in capacity for land-uses that would draw people ALONG the route, except, of course, for the ultimate destination of the waterfront. This is especially a concern given the area between the rail berm and the Gardiner (immediately south of the core) is not that large, with only one street (Bremner) bisecting it. This produces an area hemmed in by these "dead-zone" margins surrounding the rail berm and the Gardiner, in turn limiting its potential.

Compare this to University Ave, for example (though not the best example, because of the prevalence of institutional uses along that stretch), where buildings face the boulevard and form a cohesive landscape.

You've nailed it Spoonman.
icon14.gif
. Elevated expressways almost always result in industrial uses popping around and under them and other buildings turning their backs on the corridor.

This is happening with the Gardiner and all the new condos popping up along the central portion. It's too late for that section I fear, but Jarvis to the DVP can still be saved.

The amount of land that's going to be reclaimed along the water and even just on the Gardiner/DVP interchange is enormous. The property taxes that will be generated along that route will more than pay for this project and continue doing so for generations to come.

Ed,

Quite true - however they could very well have gone for a rebuild of the expressway instead, and keep in mind they tore it down in the face of reports suggesting utter traffic chaos. I can't imagine anyone expending that much of their political capital in Toronto (yet - given our governance structure).

AoD

A different point of comparison (with earthquake damage thrown in the picture as well) is Seattle's neverending saga re what to do with the Alaskan Way viaduct...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Way_Viaduct

To me, there's something about the Gardiner that's like the World Trade Center, i.e. an all-too-conspicuous urban "villain" that came, over the years, to earn its own creative-beholding cachet--yet still, in the end, those who're ferociously opposed to the Gardiner's removal wind up being akin to those wingnuts who insisted that the Twin Towers be reconstructed more or less in kind.

Besides, a lot of those creative opportunities for infill, usage, etc offered by the under-Gardiner are probably better off applied someplace like the Richmond-Adelaide ramps...

The Embarcadero's dismantlement revealed a gorgeous building. This building was relegated to industrial use in the space left between it and the the elevated expressway.

I'm talking about the Ferry Building.

Today, the Ferry building has become a San Francisco icon that is generally buzzing with activity at its door.

Before
embarcadero_freeway-xlarge.jpg

During Demolition
468px-San_Francisco-Embarcadero_Freeway_demolition.jpg

After
picture1lh0.png
torch_embarcadaro_early.jpg

Any questions?

To me, there's something about the Gardiner that's like the World Trade Center, i.e. an all-too-conspicuous urban "villain" that came, over the years, to earn its own creative-beholding cachet--yet still, in the end, those who're ferociously opposed to the Gardiner's removal wind up being akin to those wingnuts who insisted that the Twin Towers be reconstructed more or less in kind.

Being likened to wingnuts is pretty harsh, but I guess you needed to throw that in there to vent. But you don't have to! You can have a little cry on my shoulder anytime you want! :)

Besides, a lot of those creative opportunities for infill, usage, etc offered by the under-Gardiner are probably better off applied someplace like the Richmond-Adelaide ramps...

Oddly, those low-flying ramps actually cut off a whole neighbourhood - but they're not getting torn down - they're getting widened! :)

Any questions?

Just one:

What do you think we'll find behind our elevated highway?

Oh right, the rail berm.

The comparison is tough. I think you should really be comparing that highway coming down to the part of the Gardiner that came down. That's how they handled it (beautifully) and Lake Shore between the DVP and Woodbine is how we did it (echh).

San Fran still has an elevated highway running through it though - allowing the same kind of movement (albeit with more traffic) that the remaining bits of the Gardiner do.

Funnily enough, if they'd built the Embarcadero the same way our Gardiner was built (the two directions running on the same high deck) they wouldn't have lost that ferry terminal they later found. They'd have seen it right through!

Another thought: I think they should get rid of the Richmond and Adelaide overpasses, and Eastern Ave. diversion. Have an exit to Lake Shore from the DVP instead. Then re-align the street-grid to the way it used to be. Then either keep the Gardiner or re-build an elevated expressway over the rail berm connecting the DVP to the Gardiner at Parliament.

In my mind, it's definitely a no-brainer. Some of the common arguments against ripping out the Gardiner that seem to be repeated here and elsewhere endlessly:

1. Will lead to traffic chaos. For many reasons, I think this is doubtful and the proposal needs to be compared not with an airy drive on the Gardiner through the core (and it's been shown time and time again through through traffic is not the Gardiner's main purpose) - but with a long crawl down Jarvis to actually get to the Gardiner in the first place, plus driving on the Gardiner. Not to mention that study after study has shown that building roads creates traffic, and getting rid of roads gets rid of traffic. After every demolition, some of the traffic simply disappears.

And for those who whine about going from one side of downtown to the other, what about driving from the 401 down to the central city? Do we need to bring back the Spadina Expressway to make that easier for you? Ought the Gardiner have been extended through the Beach to tie into the 401 as originally planned. Two years after the Gardiner is gone, we'll have forgotten about it entirely and will be better off for it.

2. The Gardiner isn't the problem, Lakeshore is. As if the experience of crossing under the Lakeshore isn't completely influenced by the fact that it is a no man's land under the Gardiner. As if the Lakeshore isn't already a traffic funnel just like the Gardiner. As if the crossing the Lakeshore isn't really a matter of crossing the Gardiner anyways, since one of the main problems with the Lakeshore are the ramps from and to the Gardiner, that make crossing the Lakeshore a much more difficult experience. No pedestrians here, cross to the other side, crossing lanes on your bike into traffic because you are trying to get to the shore - it's all a hassle, and has more to do with the ramps than the Lakeshore itself. I don't especially like crossing University Avenue - too much traffic - but it's a whole lot better than crossing the Lakeshore under the Gardiner.

This talk also seems to act as if the Gardiner is six lanes suspended far above our heads - airy, I believe it's been called. This ignores the huge, long, on and off ramps that expand it's width considerably. And as has been argued here, because no building facing the Gardiner has anything interesting at ground level (why would it?) the barrier problem extends well beyond the freeway itself.

3. The Gardiner isn't the problem, the Railway is. I think this is a valid point, because the railway does create a barrier, but it's not an either/or scenario. They both act as barriers to some extent. However, I would argue that demonstratably the railway is less of a barrier because it has many more routes over and under it than the Gardiner does, is less threatening to move around (because with the Gardiner you have tons of traffic trying to get on or off that interferes with your movement - the railway has no such problem). Just the fact that the PATH system has so effortlessly spanned the railway in many places shows that it's not as severe an obstacle as the Gardiner. Besides, the Gardiner is far uglier.

Also, the railway represents the future of travel in the city, while the Gardiner represents it's past. For all the pissing about bad planning in Toronto how many places are ready to tear down expressways at this particular moment when a car culture is becoming unaffordable and unsustainable? The Gardiner is much less essential to the health and future of the city than the railway is, and to my mind ripping part of it down shows a lot of foresight on the part of the city, at this particular moment in time.

As for the repeated claims that ripping down the Gardiner will expose the railway berm, look at one of the photos that have been posted or buy a map. Simply removing the one curved offramp that borders Queens Quay would do a great deal for the city - no rail berms exposed there.

4. I think a secondary argument is that undoing the Gardiner frees up a lot of city owned land for development. The economic impact of that could be astonishing.

I think it's a shame they are not doing it further to the west as well, but I have faith that once the continuity of the expressway is interrupted, further demolitions will occur.

The PATH doesn't span the railway at all. Maybe parts of Union Station do, but PATH itself? Not so much.

Not to mention that study after study has shown that building roads creates traffic, and getting rid of roads gets rid of traffic. After every demolition, some of the traffic simply disappears.

Of course building roads introduces more traffic. Because it also encourages development along its length. And of course after a demolition some of the traffic is going to 'disappear', they're going to find other routes out of necessity. It doesn't mean that it disappears without a trace, or without effect elsewhere.

And for those who whine about going from one side of downtown to the other, what about driving from the 401 down to the central city? Do we need to bring back the Spadina Expressway to make that easier for you? Ought the Gardiner have been extended through the Beach to tie into the 401 as originally planned. Two years after the Gardiner is gone, we'll have forgotten about it entirely and will be better off for it.

I haven't seen anyone requesting additional highways. Just the retention of the very few we have.

2. The Gardiner isn't the problem, Lakeshore is. As if the experience of crossing under the Lakeshore isn't completely influenced by the fact that it is a no man's land under the Gardiner. As if the Lakeshore isn't already a traffic funnel just like the Gardiner. As if the crossing the Lakeshore isn't really a matter of crossing the Gardiner anyways, since one of the main problems with the Lakeshore are the ramps from and to the Gardiner, that make crossing the Lakeshore a much more difficult experience. No pedestrians here, cross to the other side, crossing lanes on your bike into traffic because you are trying to get to the shore - it's all a hassle, and has more to do with the ramps than the Lakeshore itself. I don't especially like crossing University Avenue - too much traffic - but it's a whole lot better than crossing the Lakeshore under the Gardiner.

That can be dealt with while still keeping the Gardiner above. ZERO effort has been made in the past, and rather than make even a modicum of effort, it's deemed easier to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get rid of it. The Gardiner isn't going along its entire length - we're going to have to address the issue of getting pedestrians under it, even if we tear down the Jarvis to Parliament section.

This talk also seems to act as if the Gardiner is six lanes suspended far above our heads - airy, I believe it's been called. This ignores the huge, long, on and off ramps that expand it's width considerably. And as has been argued here, because no building facing the Gardiner has anything interesting at ground level (why would it?) the barrier problem extends well beyond the freeway itself.

The ramps are often cited as a problem, but there's so few of them that I just can't see it - and it's only one side that they pose a problem - on the north side they're against the rail berm. In fact, east of Jarvis there's only one ramp.

3. The Gardiner isn't the problem, the Railway is. I think this is a valid point, because the railway does create a barrier, but it's not an either/or scenario. They both act as barriers to some extent. However, I would argue that demonstratably the railway is less of a barrier because it has many more routes over and under it than the Gardiner does,

That's very false. You can only cross the rail berm where there's a hole punched through. The only holes, really, are ones created for streets - which all intersect with Lake Shore under the Gardiner. In truth, more streets have intersections with Lake Shore under the Gardiner than cross the rail berm.

...is less threatening to move around (because with the Gardiner you have tons of traffic trying to get on or off that interferes with your movement - the railway has no such problem). Just the fact that the PATH system has so effortlessly spanned the railway in many places shows that it's not as severe an obstacle as the Gardiner. Besides, the Gardiner is far uglier.

I think you've confused the two. The tunnels going under the rail berm are horrendous. The one on Cherry Street smells of cat piss and the supports are all rusted out. The other ones are tremendously dark and dank. The Gardiner in the same areas is a little rough, but is in far better shape - and is so much farther away from the pedestrian or cyclist.

Also, the railway represents the future of travel in the city, while the Gardiner represents it's past. For all the pissing about bad planning in Toronto how many places are ready to tear down expressways at this particular moment when a car culture is becoming unaffordable and unsustainable? The Gardiner is much less essential to the health and future of the city than the railway is, and to my mind ripping part of it down shows a lot of foresight on the part of the city, at this particular moment in time.

The rails are important to our future, for sure. But so are roadways and retaining car infrastructure. Cars are in a rough spot with environmental issues right now - but they're not going away in the long run. We'll probably slowly become more like the Europeans; our cars will be valued more (we won't think of them in the same disposable way North Americans tend to) but they'll still be around - and travel by car will remain important.

4. I think a secondary argument is that undoing the Gardiner frees up a lot of city owned land for development. The economic impact of that could be astonishing.

This area already has so much space for development I think the corporation responsible is scared stiff. I'm not sure they really need more land before they've done a thing with what they've got.

What do you think we'll find behind our elevated highway?

Oh right, the rail berm.
Well to be fair, the piece proposed for removal is the one piece that isn't adjacent to the railway. If the it was simply realigned (and narrowed to only 3-lanes in each direction) alongside the berm, that may be a good solution.

I suppose whatever really. I don't have the time to fight and you've made up your mind. I've made up mine, and the Gardiner can go and will go.

I will correct one point - It doesn't mean that it [traffic] disappears without a trace, or without effect elsewhere. Yes. It does. Been shown time and time again.

PARTIALLY TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!!....

ReaganBerlinWall.jpg

...I MEAN BARRIER. :D

Back