News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Mark Grimes (represents Humber Bay and a streetcar suburb) voted for the hybrid. Cesar Palacio (St Clair Ave) voted for the hybrid. Carmichael Greb (emphasis on CAR) from Young & Eg voted for the hybrid. The previous terrible councillor Karen Stintz would have also voted for the hybrid. Tory got his strongest electoral support in this area even after shitting on Eglinton Connects. Meanwhile there were a few suburban councillors who did voted for the boulevard today. I wish I could say more condos was enough to fight suburban ideology, but it's not that simple.

Here's the vote map.

View attachment 48330

Carmichael Greb's ward touches Yonge and Eglinton. Most of the ward is very suburban. But you are right, this is not a clear suburban divide.

If it weren't for strategic voting Chow would have won.

Chow would've been terribly partisan and showed herself to be absolutely clueless about transit during the election.

I don't agree with DDA either. Plenty of people voted for Tory, like myself, and are against the hybrid option.

Actually it is. Without the property tax base of all of Toronto, downtowners would never have enough revenue to fund their pet projects.

You're not serious are you? Suburbs are inherently inefficient compare to urban area. Just look at Toronto's residential tax rate compared to the rest of the GTA, it's half of places like Oshawa and Pickering. That's because the downtown core is supplementing the suburbs.

Olivia Chow blew it. Instead of mobilizing the progressive base, she tried to present herself as a business-friendly centrist; for months, she said she was the only alternative to Ford and dismissed Tory. Then after tanking in the polls in August, she swung desperately to the left in order to hang onto the base she never excited and repeatedly said Tory and Ford were "exactly the same." Usually you mobilize your base first, then tack a bit to the center at election time; Olivia did the opposite.

Hopefully that was the last Laschinger-run campaign. Funny how he ran Tory's disastrous provincial campaign for the PCs in 2007 as well!

Olivia Chow blew it. Instead of mobilizing the progressive base, she tried to present herself as a business-friendly centrist; for months, she said she was the only alternative to Ford and dismissed Tory. Then after tanking in the polls in August, she swung desperately to the left in order to hang onto the base she never excited and repeatedly said Tory and Ford were "exactly the same." Usually you mobilize your base first, then tack a bit to the center at election time; Olivia did the opposite.

Hopefully that was the last Laschinger-run campaign. Funny how he ran Tory's disastrous provincial campaign for the PCs in 2007 as well!

Olivia lost because of her lacklustre performance at the debates and her inability to express herself smoothly. She did not come across as a strong leader; instead, she lofted platitudes about mothers waiting for buses and other folksy-type horseshit. Her heart wasn't in it, and it showed. I like Olivia, but Tory knows how to talk the talk and he knows how to play the politician's role. In the end, this made voters more comfortable, especially after years of suffering such a bumbling areshole as Ford.

Olivia lost because of her lacklustre performance at the debates and her inability to express herself smoothly. She did not come across as a strong leader; instead, she lofted platitudes about mothers waiting for buses and other folksy-type horseshit. Her heart wasn't in it, and it showed. I like Olivia, but Tory knows how to talk the talk and he knows how to play the politician's role. In the end, this made voters more comfortable, especially after years of suffering such a bumbling areshole as Ford.

Yep I made 'mother with strollers on busses' a drinking game. It was like she had a specific case of tourettes where she involuntarily kept repeating this, like Ford and his subways.

And I 'd agree, I don't think her heart was in it. It felt like she was coaxed into running by her advisors and the Star.

This is a really sad day for Toronto.

The pro fake hybrid posters on here - like Tory himself - never listen to any rebuttal arguments and advance a bevy of tedious lies and half truths to justify themselves.

Not only will this cost more in total terms, the law suit against the city will cost tens of millions and the loss of land value and property tax revenue is in the hundreds of millions. I don't care which way anyone wants to spin it, this is going to cost tens of millions every year for 50 years minimum. That can and would have gone to fund other priorities. Tory is asking the TTC to cut its budget when we all know it needs more.

As to this argument that the downtown somehow gets more from the suburbs, it is sheer lunacy. Anyone telling themselves that is simply wrong, wrong, wrong. Not only does the downtown core provide 40% of the revenue of the city, it is where the majority of new development is happening. It is where the majority of the revitalization of the city is happening. And investment there provides returns - which are then funnelled to the suburbs. Sheppard Subway. Subway to Vaughn. Scarborough subway. Finch, Sheppard LRT. Eglinton Line. The only things that have happened in the last 50 years have been in the suburbs. Sure downtown is getting new streetcars (a decade late), but the downtown TTC subsidizes the suburban TTC with its profitable routs. And I don't even get services provided in the suburbs, like snow clearing of my sidewalks or leaf collection.

Anyway, I'm bummed out on Toronto today, and Tory has made me very angry.

The boulevard is not so bad but it has to be from the DVP to Dufferin. Why not push for that versus a boulevard stump? And let's be willing to pay for it and stop the 'we can't afford it' bitching

Last edited:
Carmichael Greb's ward touches Yonge and Eglinton. Most of the ward is very suburban. But you are right, this is not a clear suburban divide.

Actually, this is a much better map.

There is a very clear urban suburban divide, and those of us who insisted that:

a) Toronto desperately needs to de-amalgamate and the whole Tory + Micallef 'One Toronto' non-sense is baseless utopia

and

b) John Tory is more damaging than even Doug Ford would have been

Have ultimately been proved correct.

Thanks to Toronto's politically incompetent progressives, we can now say we not only have become globally notorious for removing bike lanes against planners' advice, but also for spending billions of dollars building subways to nowhere against planners' advice, and re-building elevated highways in our downtown core against planners' advice!

Toronto desperately needs to de-amalgamate and the whole Tory + Micallef 'One Toronto' non-sense is baseless utopia

"One Toronto" was a lie from the day he stacked his executive with suburban loyalists.

“Scarborough deserves a subway just like everybody else. When I’m at the end of the line, and its finally my turn to get my share of the pie, not even an equal share of the pie, just a little bit of the pie, it’s very upsetting for Scarborough residents and politicians to hear politicians from downtown Toronto being very selfish, very self-centered, saying ‘nothing for Scarborough, everything for our people."

- Glen De Baeremaeker, asking for a 4th station on the Scarb subway

b) John Tory is more damaging than even Doug Ford would have been

This is exactly right. Everyone who thought Tory would be the saviour from Ford, doesn't realize that a) Ford would have a much harder time passing things through council than Tory could, b) it is (and was) known that Tory has, for the most part, the same beliefs and values that the Fords do, but is a much better liar, and most importantly c) Due to the strength of incumbency, we've pretty much given Tory as much time in office as he wants

Bravo!

Back