News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This would logically suggest a similar level of transit investment in Mississauga and Brampton as has taken place in Toronto.

That is achievable.

You have 2 GO lines, one already moderately frequent (pre-pandemic); and the Hurontario LRT en route.

Without engaging in wild fantasy........

An extension of Line 2 to Sherway Gardens/Dixie; a Hurontario LRT to DT Brampton or beyond; an LRT/BRT for Lakeshore; and an Eglinton West LRT, running into Mississauga along with a Queen St BRT/LRT in Hamilton are quite realistic
over a 30 year timeframe.

That is achievable.

You have 2 GO lines, one already moderately frequent (pre-pandemic); and the Hurontario LRT en route.

Without engaging in wild fantasy........

An extension of Line 2 to Sherway Gardens/Dixie; a Hurontario LRT to DT Brampton or beyond; an LRT/BRT for Lakeshore; and an Eglinton West LRT, running into Mississauga along with a Queen St BRT/LRT in Hamilton are quite realistic
over a 30 year timeframe.
That is not even a tenth of the investment in transit Toronto has received. I mean, it's fine to say Mississauga and Brampton should be as dense as Toronto, but that comes with infrastructure requirements.

We have the pros and cons of this proposal, but we forget what plans Caledon, York, Brampton and Halton has in mind.

Halton Hills
based on what I know is they oppose this highway because it cuts through lands(prime farmland) they have plans to develop.

Brampton
I think we know what Brampton wants.

Caledon
Based on what I have seen, it looks like land south of Old School Road is destined for development.

York
From what I have seen is they wanted the alignment of the highway changed so it wouldn't cut through most of the land they plan to develop.

Source https://www.vaughan.ca/news/Pages/City-Council-takes-position-on-GTA-West-Corridor-Highway.aspx

Personally I dont believe for one second these governments actually oppose this project, it's all politically motivated to gain votes.

Last edited:
I have mentioned it here before, but has the issue of land use really been brought up in the political debate about this proposal. Supporting infill as opposed to greenfield development is great but I think the numbers involved really need to be brought up.

I've included the quote below by innsertnamehere because I share in their thought that the way the current land use system is setup will create problems. There are a large number of people and jobs coming to the remaining lands in Brampton that this highway will cut through or be near to. Most of these lands are already in very advanced planning stages.

I am sure others can bring up better reports than the two I will link here, but for the sake of the discussion I think it is important to understand what the plan for growth in this area looks like. If we look at these documents in conjunction with the latest Growth Plan numbers. Peel is expected to reach a residential population of 2,280,000 by 2051, so approximately an additional 900,000 more than today. If all that growth gets pulled out of the designated agricultural lands, how big of an area and what levels of density are needed to accommodate that? If we are going to go that route then lets get started on a plan to combat NIMBYism in low density neighbourhoods, because I have a feeling without including them those type of numbers only achievable if every retail plaza in Peel gets turned into 80+ storey towers.

Aside from that, the intensification analysis also has some interesting points about feasibility for different households. Page 14 of the PDF notes that the household characteristics of Brampton show that 48.5% of homes have 4 or more people living in them. It even makes the point that this potentially represents a constraint for achieving the current planned housing mix because of the difficulty accommodating large households in apartments. That opens a whole other can of worms with regards to affordable square footage and maintenance fees in condos.

Regardless of my ranting above, I get the opposition to the highway. I grew up in the rural areas this proposal is slated to go. I appreciate and have enjoyed the natural environment that would be impacted and support its environmental conservation. I have already watched so much of it get eaten up by sprawl. But I also understand the immigration numbers Canada is chasing and that the population projections we are pushing for are what is driving all this. I don't have the solution, but I think opposing this highway needs to account for these factors in a more clear manner so I can understand what the path forward looks like without it. The path with the highway looks gloomy, but the cynic in me worries that if we oppose it, we will just end up with the same endless sprawl only with the addition of even worse traffic.

Region of Peel - Growth Management Fact Sheet

PEEL 2041 MCR Draft – INTENSIFICATION ANALYSIS Strategic Market Demand Assessment
In 2018 Ryerson did a study of Mississauga and found that they can add over 400 thousand people in the city and not even encroach on the yellow belt while only using at medium density development.

You can download the study here, unfortunately, it is the only way I've found to view it.

If anyone doesn't have time to look at the report, here's a link to a news article.

An auto journalist in favour of highway construction? Gasp!!!

I'd read the article and write an analysis but since you never got around to responding to my question a few weeks ago I have to assume your not interested in actual debate. So moving on...

Yeah, I don't trust an auto journalist's objectivity on highway proposals

For the same reason we shouldn't trust urbanists when they list off their oppositions to highway construction I suppose.

Front Page of The Star has an article implying inappropriate relationships/conflict of interests in the province's apparent backing of 413.

It includes info on lobbying, land deals and MZO's none of which looks particularly good on the government.

Article: https://www.thestar.com/news/invest...nce-behind-the-push-to-build-highway-413.html

For those that need a non-paywalled link, see below:

This seems like a complete contradiction. You claim the property the highway 413 goes through is "wealthy white mega estates", which means that rich people would live and use the highway. But then you claim "many of the primary users [of the highway] would be less wealthy people" because they had to live in houses outside the city, presumeably in Vaughan, King, Brampton, Caledon etc, which is near the highway. So could you clarify is it going to be rich people living near and using the highway or less wealthy people?
Wealthy white mega estates are not who I meant would be the primary users. They are the ones with vested interests to not have a highway built over their large countryside estates. The less wealthy I was speaking of are people who are being priced out and pushed to even further away communities. Milton. Erin. Fergus. Guelph. Acton. Georgetown. Orangeville. Etc

This highway has been looked at for over 20 years. If people thought there might have been a need back then, surely that need will have grown by now as our GTA population has risen.

Front Page of The Star has an article implying inappropriate relationships/conflict of interests in the province's apparent backing of 413.

It includes info on lobbying, land deals and MZO's none of which looks particularly good on the government.

Article: https://www.thestar.com/news/invest...nce-behind-the-push-to-build-highway-413.html

So, basically, the lands all around here are already in the hands of developers. Things will get built. A highway would be a good selling point for them, but I doubt lack of a highway is going to stop them. The question is, do we want a new transportation corridor to help move these people, or are we going to cram them into the overflowing, inadequate network of roads we already have?

So, basically, the lands all around here are already in the hands of developers. Things will get built.
The developers are land-banking, hoping that taxpayers will subsidize them to the tune of 10 billion dollars.

If they’re so confident in the value of this land, and in the logic of their investments they can start building now. No one is stopping them.

The developers are land-banking, hoping that taxpayers will subsidize them to the tune of 10 billion dollars.

If they’re so confident in the value of this land, and in the logic of their investments they can start building now. No one is stopping them.
Many of them are. Plans have been submitted for full build out of Brampton, shovels in the ground in most plots. Development in Caledon is underway. Look at Google Maps.

Side thought, truck traffic on Mayfield and on Highway 50 is getting to dangerous levels for passenger car drivers and this highway would help with that too.

Another side thought, I wish we had a proper ring road. Like Edmonton, and many US cities. The article that Northern light linked to above mentions that the 413 is considered a missing link in a route that was planned to Fort Erie. Wish we had something more continuous than the jumble of multiple highways on the route that you'd have to transfer over.

Well then, we will have to live with our poor choices. I see no reason to throw 10 billion down a hole for more sprawl. It’s time we realize that building car-oriented SFH is a bad idea.

EDIT: the arguments I’m hearing boil down to “the housing is being built anyways, so let’s build a highway to make life easier for everyone.” Every so often an argument around industry comes up - but that’s a red herring because most of the land is going straight to SFH. These arguments ignore induced demand, and ignore the question of whether this is the right way to build at all.

My take: we’ve known for decades that this is a bad way to grow, but we keep doing it. It’s tolerable and profitable because we sink billions into road infrastructure subsidizing these poor choices. Building more roads expands the urban boundary and subsidizes more sprawl. So I say: stop now. If people want the sprawl they can live with it without a societal subsidy.

Last edited:

It's too bad the Star doesn't give the same level of scrutiny to del Duca.

The owners of the lands in Vaughan west of the 400 have donated extensively to his election results, and those of the Liberals. There is a lot of speculation in party that the reason the Liberals pulled their support for the GTA West project was that the land owners in Vaughan could make more money by developing all of the land west of the 400 without having to allocate any of it to the province for a highway.

I'm no fan of Ford, but don't for a second think his BS smells any worse than that of the Liberals.

Back