News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Good news for Westbound drivers around Hurontario; they have shifted the barriers around and the left hand lane does not cut out anymore! So if you want to stay in the left lane, it is no longer an issue!

Bad news if u want to stay in the right hand lane, the right hand lane cuts out as a result of the left hand lane not cutting out. you win some you loose some.

It is quite nice and clean on the north side, unfortunately they still have the other side to remove yet. I can't believe the progress they have made on the express lanes though. Every day I see the paving job moving farther and farther on the WB side and they have flattened a large section on the EB side now, soon to be paved. I wonder if they will have some lanes open before the winter shutdown? I mean, they obviously won't have it completed, but it would be nice to have some more open lanes during the winter.

As well, it seems like they did not put a cement footing down for the express lanes. I can't imagine why they wouldn't, but I am no engineer. Maybe they only put the cement on the outer collector lanes for support?

im no engineer either, but maybe it has somethnig to do with the express lanes were always there, so they can re-pave them the same as before, as for the collector, those are net-new lanes, which required zoning, permits engineering, designing, maybe thats why they need concretepad.

Picture 11 very clearly shows how far the Phase I contract ran.

Pic 11 clearly shows where the contract ends. Additional contracts (I think 2 more phases) will extend the collector-express system to Winston Churchill.

Longer term plans could see a HOV/collector system past the 407 toward Milton, but there isn't much detail beyond initial studies.

I like how you can see the skid marks in pic 9 showing how many people didn't realize that if you keep going up the collectors, there's another transfer not too far away.

Is it any better now that they've got it signed and up to 2 lanes on the transfer? When I last went through on a weekday, it was only one lane open with minimal signage.

So I guess the final answer to the question I have had; will they put a cement footing down for the express lanes, has been answered. Today I noticed on the paved section, WB, leading to Hurontario, they have put the cement footing down on top of the pavement. I would suppose they will be doing this for the entire section.

So I guess the final answer to the question I have had; will they put a cement footing down for the express lanes, has been answered. Today I noticed on the paved section, WB, leading to Hurontario, they have put the cement footing down on top of the pavement. I would suppose they will be doing this for the entire section.

Thats weird, no? why not just put cement then ashfault

Thats weird, no? why not just put cement then ashfault

I think there might be some sort of new standard for paving. I noticed on Dixie just south of the 401 the other day that there is an asphalt base, thick concrete centre and then asphalt top. Basically they're making a pavement oreo! Could be that they are doing something similar on the 401 project. The final top coating of asphalt would eliminate all the markings on the road during construction(that you currently can see) as well as give the benefits of asphalt (smooth quiet ride, easier/cheaper repaving etc.) while still having the durable concrete core.

I think there might be some sort of new standard for paving. I noticed on Dixie just south of the 401 the other day that there is an asphalt base, thick concrete centre and then asphalt top. Basically they're making a pavement oreo! Could be that they are doing something similar on the 401 project. The final top coating of asphalt would eliminate all the markings on the road during construction(that you currently can see) as well as give the benefits of asphalt (smooth quiet ride, easier/cheaper repaving etc.) while still having the durable concrete core.

I'd imagine the road lasts long having the Ashphalt under the concrete block the water, and then because teh Concrete doesn't seep up there is probably less water leaking up to the surface asphalt, and thus the road last longer. A lot of places in teh states and even the 407 use concrete for their highways because they last long and I imagine would be easier to just replace on concrete slab rather than having to re-pave a whole section or do a shitty patch job that makes the road un-even and bumby

Finally got a chance to take a look and do some photo shooting today.

Real odd that the south existing footing of the Hurontario bridge is still in place when there nothing stopping them from removing it now.

The westbound express lane will be 100% pour this week, leaving the on ramp lanes from the collector to be pour for it.

This leaves the centre retaining barrier to be pour.

The eastbound express lane is getting the waterproof membrane before the base crush stone can be pour. After that, the base asphalt and then the concrete road slab. Don't expect to this work until spring 2013 unless they want to take a chance with the weather. Then the barrier wall has to be pour.

The new northbound lanes are open to westbound 401 traffic.

This leaves rebuilding the off westbound intersection and the northbound lanes to be done. Looks like they are getting ready to start building the centre medium to the south.

By summer 2013, things should be completed for this phase and then wait for the next 2 phases.

As I passed through the area today, I noticed they are now in the process of removing the old Hurontario bridge support on the south side!

As I passed through the area today, I noticed they are now in the process of removing the old Hurontario bridge support on the south side!

It's about bloody time lol.

I just wish this whole thing was done already. But alas, not till next year (for the current phase).

Back