News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I've noticed they're doing more work to the right side of the existing ramp from 401 East to 410 North. But the beginning part of the part of the lane that will split off to the 403 West (South) is part of this contract. I just wish they were building the whole ramp at this point.

I notice sections of the 401 near the airport are still using the old trust light standard. Is the MOT eventually planning on replacing them with the high mass poles like the rest of the 400 series highway?

I notice sections of the 401 near the airport are still using the old trust light standard. Is the MOT eventually planning on replacing them with the high mass poles like the rest of the 400 series highway?

Every major rebuild for urban highways in Ontario seems to be moving towards high mast lighting, so it's simply a matter of time.

I was blown away when I first saw the high mast lighting on the stretch of the 417 between Ottawa and Kanata at night... it's an incredibly bright line traversing a few kms of otherwise black forest.

Usually yes, but this stretch is near the airport. High mast lighting might not mix with it which is why it may still have conventional lighting.
-Fun fact: The last M-C Freeway sign on the entire 401 is located on this stretch. It can be seen westbound on the median dividing the collector and express lanes near Dixie Road.

Here is a video of my run on June 30rd eastbound from Mavis to 410. Turn your sound down or off, otherwise you will hear the real outside sound.

I thought I shot the westbound run, but I don't see it.

From what I saw, this baby is 99% complete and could/should be open come August.

2 Light Mast missing, a couple small spots in the barriers to be pour, curb lane to be pave for the eastbound lanes with the westbound receiving the first coat,. Otherwise I don't see any big items needing work.

In the 2nd video shot off the Hurontario overpass, not sure what the markings are on the road. I try shooting both sides as one shoot, but the zoom and trying getting across from the west side kill part of the video.

Hard to say if the section by the airport will see the tall mast due to height.

http://youtu.be/enZeO6QymnU
http://youtu.be/A4UddcDJOIc

, not sure what the markings are on the road.

The markings are likely where the lane-paining will occur. They either grind out this area or put some sort of primer in this area so the paint will stick better to the surface. You can even see Westboud where the lanes will merge back into the regular highway system.

The second vid really lets you see a great perspective from the overpass! Thanks!

I hope this means they will start the second phase of this project next year!!

The markings are likely where the lane-paining will occur. They either grind out this area or put some sort of primer in this area so the paint will stick better to the surface. You can even see Westboud where the lanes will merge back into the regular highway system.

The second vid really lets you see a great perspective from the overpass! Thanks!

I hope this means they will start the second phase of this project next year!!

That was my thought also, but these photo show some thing different.

West Side of Hurontario; Odd they would not run the lanes straight to connect to the existing since they will do the local lanes first before the express. Also, a nice bend. Maybe they need that bend to make the connection??
9197055774_69d9662614_b.jpg

9197057460_42a484f9ae_b.jpg

East Side
9197053388_0e3d284252_b.jpg

9194258791_e4446a7078_b.jpg

9197046732_ce5f3039d0_b.jpg

Very nice pics drum, thanks for those! Yea, the bend is quite odd and I was thinking about that too. Notice how if you were travelling EB, the bend is actually quite sharp considering the speed at which one would be travelling too! But note the cement barriers near the end of the phase, they also seem to expand outward at the same rate of the bend itself. I wonder why they would be doing this at all?! It's not like the bridge ahead has any middle support columns and if they were going to need barriers there for the next construction phase you would think they would just put in the moveable barriers? Very puzzling until the project is complete I guess!

My guess is that they want to do a soft-open of 2 Express lanes while they are building the connection from the old section to the new Express. Once the connection is finished, they'll open the 3rd express lane, and smooth out the split/merge.

Also, take a look at the spacing of those concrete sections. This baby is HOV-ready.

I find it sort of silly that they built a new McLaughlin Rd. bridge to fit the wider 401 but the project doesn't even reach it.

They also redid the Mississauga Rd bridge which is even further down.

I believe the Creditview Rd bridge still needs to be replaced and the Second Line W bridge still needs to be taken down (unfortunately) before they go that far west though.

The Mavis Road overpass was built with easy expansion in mind, but I don't think it was designed for the HOV lanes that are no planned for this stretch. (They require a full shoulder and buffer strip.)

Great pics/video by the way!

anyone else find that last set of pics by Drum hypnotically captivating? Not sure what it is about them but they draw you in and find myself in a trance like state looking at them.

Excellent pics....almost look like artist renderings....I am no photographer/artiste but there must be something in the lighting or something that gives them that effect.

I find it sort of silly that they built a new McLaughlin Rd. bridge to fit the wider 401 but the project doesn't even reach it.

Yes, but the next phase absolutely will (Next year?...)! They sort of did all those bridges 'around' the same time so maybe it was cheaper to contract the builders to do all of them, but weird they did not do the Creditview bridge at the same time. Maybe this bridge will have a different design since Creditview is not a major artery like the others.

Also, did anyone see what happened over the weekend? Why did they shut down 2 lanes on either side of this stretch from Friday 10 pm - Sat 10 am?

They also redid the Mississauga Rd bridge which is even further down.

I believe the Creditview Rd bridge still needs to be replaced and the Second Line W bridge still needs to be taken down (unfortunately) before they go that far west though.

I'm hoping that a replacement pedestrian/cyclist bridge is built here. It's a long way around to Mavis or Creditview to cross the 401. It's sad sometimes that non-vehicular traffic is an afterthought especially as six-lane parclos are nasty places to cross as a pedestrian or a cyclist.

Back