News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is it just me, or does it seem excessive to build the 418 interchanges with 401 and 407 with complete access?

I guess it's good for redundancy.

I'd assume the 401 EB to 407 EB via 418 would be very lightly used. The 35/115 is close and is diagonal... more direct? It's also free... Same thing going the opposite way - 407 WB to 401 WB would get light use.

Full connectivity for 412 is warranted because it is more centrally located.

Is it just me, or does it seem excessive to build the 418 interchanges with 401 and 407 with complete access?

I guess it's good for redundancy.

I'd assume the 401 EB to 407 EB via 418 would be very lightly used. The 35/115 is close and is diagonal... more direct? It's also free... Same thing going the opposite way - 407 WB to 401 WB would get light use.

Full connectivity for 412 is warranted because it is more centrally located.

I suspect it's for the people getting off at Highway 2 and Taunton more than the 401-418-407-115 crowd. Doing that pattern on the 412 makes sense, but I agree on the 418 you're better off just staying on the 401 and getting off at 115.

I'm still confused why the Highway 407 East and Highway 115 interchange isn't a bit more north to accommodate a 4-way interchange between 407E-115-35.

I'm still confused why the Highway 407 East and Highway 115 interchange isn't a bit more north to accommodate a 4-way interchange between 407E-115-35.
I believe it was environmental concerns. The original idea was to directly connect 407 with the 115 at Enterprise Hill to make one continuous highway, but the EA process determined that the constructed route was the better environmental route.

Google maps still hasnt updated the new 407 extension, it takes them longer than I thought it would.

Also, has anyone seen video of people driving the extension? I dont have time this week but would love to see it finished

Google Maps got rid of their crowdsourced editor for suggestions, and has since become horrible.

They still havent added the Line 1 extension.

Google Maps got rid of their crowdsourced editor for suggestions, and has since become horrible.

They still havent added the Line 1 extension.
your sure about that?

upload_2018-7-31_13-16-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-31_13-16-38.png
    upload_2018-7-31_13-16-38.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,443
That's just for transit directions, it's not in the Transit Overlay View. However, Google Maps do show the stations with departure times, so idk what's stopping the last step to add a line to the overlay.
upload_2018-7-31_14-49-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-31_14-49-20.png
    upload_2018-7-31_14-49-20.png
    710.2 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:
That's just for transit directions, it's not in the Transit Overlay View. However, Google Maps do show the stations with departure times, so idk what's stopping the last step to add a line to the overlay.

I have reported this numerous times but Google is too dumb to add the yellow line. Amazing.

New report on tolls on the 407.

Interestingly, it includes AADT counts for the highway.

407 East has it's highest AADT between Lake Ridge and Brock, unsurprisingly. Surprisingly, it is only about 27,000 AADT. This is very, very low for a 6 lane highway, and is about equivalent to the emptiest parts of the 401 towards Montreal and Windsor.

The 412 is actually busier than I expected, at about 12,000 AADT. This is right at the level that typically "justifies" upgrading an existing 2 lane provincial highway in some form. Which is interesting, as my experience with the highway has always made if feel much emptier than that.

The 418, unsurprisingly, is shockingly empty. I imagine the 407 towards Highway 35 is similar - with an AADT in the 3,000 range.

The report also states that the project is not expected to be self funding - and that even with toll revenues, total project costs exceed expected revenues. Unsurprising given the low AADTs.

New report on tolls on the 407.

Interestingly, it includes AADT counts for the highway.

407 East has it's highest AADT between Lake Ridge and Brock, unsurprisingly. Surprisingly, it is only about 27,000 AADT. This is very, very low for a 6 lane highway, and is about equivalent to the emptiest parts of the 401 towards Montreal and Windsor.

The 412 is actually busier than I expected, at about 12,000 AADT. This is right at the level that typically "justifies" upgrading an existing 2 lane provincial highway in some form. Which is interesting, as my experience with the highway has always made if feel much emptier than that.

The 418, unsurprisingly, is shockingly empty. I imagine the 407 towards Highway 35 is similar - with an AADT in the 3,000 range.

The report also states that the project is not expected to be self funding - and that even with toll revenues, total project costs exceed expected revenues. Unsurprising given the low AADTs.
I was looking for that a while back, thanks!

On the other hand, I really want to know the reason behind these low AADTs. Has it got something to do with COVID, or is it something to do with the regular demand? Can't be bothered to find documents, was the highway supposed to be self-sustaining?

The traffic using 407E, 412 & 418 didn't magically appear out of nowhere. I'd expect the bulk of it came from 401 traffic it parallels, reducing it's usage a bit and thus pushing back widening projects for a few years.

I'd like to know what the 401 traffic was between the 412 and 35/115 before and after the entire 407E project was completed.

As time ticks on and the area continues to grow, these toll highways should see their volumes increase a bit, & lower traffic overall than normal due to the pandemic has reduced the need for toll highways since the free alternatives are operating better.

I was looking for that a while back, thanks!

On the other hand, I really want to know the reason behind these low AADTs. Has it got something to do with COVID, or is it something to do with the regular demand? Can't be bothered to find documents, was the highway supposed to be self-sustaining?

I suspect that Covid had a significant impact. Consider the reduced traffic levels due to WFH and work stoppages drastically cutting the number commutes down, but also as money becomes tight due to layoffs and reduced work hours people are making conscious decisions to avoid extra expenditures such as toll roads.

412 and 418 highways are toll free as of today. I think that was a good call so drivers can access the local interchanges from the 401. They have the capacity to handle this additional traffic for sure... may as well induce that demand :p

412 and 418 are kinda in the middle of nowhere in Durham. Nothing really next to them. I really don't think they will be used much except to go up to the 407 where people will pay a toll. Maybe the province is hoping to trick people into going up to the 407 and having to pay! Fooled you!

Back