News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love if the Gardiner could be buried, especially the idea that was floated a while back to build under the lake, but thinking of the Big Dig makes me think otherwise.

However, their city is now transformed.

Im guessing the Gardiner will simply remain until it reaches its last possible day of service before it needs to be reconstructed. Most articles or reports I've read seem to give it another 10, maybe 15 years of service before this point. When that point in time arrives, I think burying the Gardiner will be the method of choice, if the Gardiner remains at all.

Until then, it does no harm to the city. It really has not stopped development on the waterfront side of it. If there is a candidate for pro-active reconstruction and rehabilitation then the rail line still offers the most potential at the momment for really enhancing the downtown area.

I’m all for burying the Gardiner, an I realize implementing an idea like mine could end up being just as costly as digging it down. It was just an idea that came to mind while reading the posts. What if it looked good? Would we be having this discussion? If they’re going to tear it down then they had better burry it, because without it as a cross-town alternative connection traffic could become a nightmare.

AlvinofDiaspar; Cute really wasn’t the look I was going for, and I should remove half of the columns.

Archivistower; the lighting, I was going to put in the actual columns

SD2; I know it’s not practical, though with the right materials it could have low yearly maintenance.

I should really finish my city hall model but I have the attention span of a two year old.

Whistler:

If they’re going to tear it down then they had better burry it, because without it as a cross-town alternative connection traffic could become a nightmare.

Not really, considering cross-town traffic isn't a major function of the Gardiner right now.

BTW, Bruce Mau proposed something similiar (canopy + raising the roadway) for the Gardiner in the Waterfront issue of Toronto Life a few years ago.

AoD

Raising it? Now that's crazy talk. I have another idea, I'll maybe spend a half hour or so on it later. Hopefully this one will be original :)

Well, seeing as were throwing around flashy ideas now, not sure if this has been posted here before, but some dude did a mockup of a replacement using "a cable-stayed viaduct that combines an expressway for private vehicles, lanes for a light rail transit system, and panoramic lanes for pedestrians and bicycle use. All of this running above the existing lake shore railway lines, in a unique waterfront transportation corridor."

Crossing_Bathurst-449x274.jpg

Bremner-365x274.jpg

www.toviaduct.com/index.html

Setting aside that the Gardiner is a barrier to the waterfront and that it it ugly,

I was just wondering if there is another North American city that has as nice of a city view entering the heart of a city as Toronto does?

(I'd still rather see it gone though).

EDIT: Does this fall into a 39XD (39 times discussed) thought? ;)

GregW:

It's also the 39th time we've had a thread on that proposal ;)

What an atrocious idea, considering it convinently ignored the placement of offramps, Union Station, etc.

AoD

Crossing_Bathurst-449x274.jpg

Cool! I miss the SkyTrain after my trip to Vancouver last August. I can't wait to ride the westward extension through Abbotsford, Kelowna, Calgary and Thunder Bay. A cheap way of getting to the left coast.

Until then, it does no harm to the city. It really has not stopped development on the waterfront side of it. If there is a candidate for pro-active reconstruction and rehabilitation then the rail line still offers the most potential at the momment for really enhancing the downtown area.

Hasn't it?

I'd say the millions upon millions poured in each year just to keep it up is pretty harmful...

That's a nice find GregWTravels. It just goes to show that part of the reason why it acts like a barrier is due to its aesthetics alone.

We should all be happy at least that our highway isn't as bad as Bufallo's Skyway.
Observatn%20Deck%203.JPG

skyway5645.jpg

I was just wondering if there is another North American city that has as nice of a city view entering the heart of a city as Toronto does?

I do love coming over the small hill just past the 427 and cruising that portion from the 427 to Park Lawn road. Late in the day with the sun behind you, reflecting off the Royal Bank's gold exterior, "Where the Streets Have No Name" playing on the CD player.

Sweet....

New York

We should all be happy at least that our highway isn't as bad as Bufallo's Skyway.

Actually, I don't see a big difference between the Skyway and the surrounding mess and what we have with the Gardiner... those photos look very... familiar.

-New York

^ Yeah, on one of the bridges, or my favourite, from the Flushing Line.

The GO Georgetown and Milton Lines/VIA North Corridor has a pretty damned great view of the skyline from about Bloor Station down to about King Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back