News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The plus side with this option is that we could piggyback on the project and bury the tracks. And proposing a Gardiner replacement would also undoubtedly attract federal and provincial funding.

I'm guessing you mean bury the DRL tracks? I'd love this solution. Toll the DVP and Gardiner and use a few of the other proposed taxes to fund all infrastructure - subways, roads, LRT's, streetcars. It's got a huge price tag, but this would be something that everyone could support. We get the DRL, Gardiner tunnel, a redone Lakeshore blvd with possible LRT there as well - but considering QQ streetcar is near by, may not be needed - so throw in bike lanes.

It's the only way to make it palatable to the entire city. No matter which way you commute, it's addressed in this proposal.

As to getting fed funding, love them or hate them, Harper and Ford are fishing buddies. If Ford comes out with this proposal, Harper would probably buy in - his election is about 12 months after Ford's possible re-election, and Harper wants more voters in the GTA. Didn't Harper give Montreal a billion dollars for the bridge there a year or two ago? Yes, we'll need much more than 1 billion for the project, but Harper set precedent by doing this for Montreal.

If Chow proposes it, Harper would probably be non-committal until closer to his next election.

In the end, it's probably a pipe dream, the cost would be huge. Off the top of my head, I'd bet it's at least 15 billion.

junior:

Don't count on the feds - the buddy thing didn't translate into any money for Rob Ford for Sheppard when he could have used it. On the other hand, the EA might recommend demolition and limited rebuild (say, a 2 lane version just for the through traffic), and Ottawa can demonstrate that love for the suburbs then.

AoD

Last edited:
keithz:

That is if anyone bites that Gardiner bait - frankly I'd rather focus all the attention on the transit funding fight instead. We will go through the EA, it doesn't mean we have to tear down anything, much less decide to tear down anything two years from now.

AoD

You can't help what becomes an issue. If they propose tearing down the Gardiner in the same year as tolling highways and adding parking charges, how do you think that's going to go?

If you have a billion dollars, it'd be better to donate it for helping to build a subway line where it is needed.

BTW, do NOT use oversized, much less bolding and colouring it at the same time.

AoD

If you have a billion dollars, it'd be better to donate it for helping to build a subway line where it is needed.

BTW, do NOT use oversized, much less bolding and colouring it at the same time.

AoD

How much of the $55 million when you win the 6/49 this Saturday, would you donate?

Interesting markings spotted today:

Jgzl8Lf.jpg

[h=3]The Environmental Assessment[/h] The proposed study area for the EA is shown on the map below. Key components of an EA include consultation with government agencies, Aboriginal communities and interested persons; consideration and evaluation of alternatives; and the management of potential environmental effects. Conducting an EA promotes good environmental planning before decisions are made about a proposal.

[h=3]Get Involved[/h] Your input into this important project is critical. The Project Team will be hosting a number of public forums, live webcasts, workshops and online opportunities for interested persons to participate in the EA planning process. We invite you to the first public forum where you can learn more about the project, the alternatives being considered and what other jurisdictions have done with elevated waterfront expressways. You will also be able to ask questions and speak directly with members of the project team, offer input and submit comments.

[h=3]Public Meeting Details[/h] Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013
Time: 6:00p.m. – 8:30p.m.
(open house will begin at 6:00p.m. followed by presentations at 6:30p.m.)
Location: Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Room 701, South Building, 222 Bremner Boulevard

Please register for the event at: http://gardinerconsultation.eventbrite.com
If you can’t attend the meeting in person, you can participate and watch the meeting online. Please join us at www.gardinereast.ca where you can learn about the project and contribute your insights, ideas, and views. For more information or to be added to the project mailing list, contact info@gardinereast.ca , or call (416) 479-0662.

The DVP closure between Bloor and Gardiner due to flooding a few days ago proves why closing the Gardiner is a terrible idea. During this closure, there was a massive amount of traffic which diverted to alternate routes like Broadview, O'Connor, Bayview, Parliament, Mount Pleasant/Jarvis, Yonge, Avenue, Bathurst etc. Even around the Yonge/Eglinton area the traffic was far worse than normal on Yonge & Mount Pleasant during the closure. If you close the Gardiner between Jarvis and DVP as the David Miller administration proposed you will have a similar effect, it will cause severe traffic congestion on alternate routes all over the city.

The DVP closure between Bloor and Gardiner due to flooding a few days ago proves why closing the Gardiner is a terrible idea. During this closure, there was a massive amount of traffic which diverted to alternate routes like Broadview, O'Connor, Bayview, Parliament, Mount Pleasant/Jarvis, Yonge, Avenue, Bathurst etc. Even around the Yonge/Eglinton area the traffic was far worse than normal on Yonge & Mount Pleasant during the closure. If you close the Gardiner between Jarvis and DVP as the David Miller administration proposed you will have a similar effect, it will cause severe traffic congestion on alternate routes all over the city.

I wonder if that's necessarily the case. An unexpected one-off event isn't enough to make people change their travel behaviour. For example, I drive to work downtown and didn't know the DVP was closed until I was in a traffic jam. However, if I knew traffic was going to be that bad every day then I'd change my mode of travel and take the TTC. I suspect that if the Gardiner were taken down people would adapt and a lot would switch to the TTC or GO Transit.

[h=3][h=3]Get Involved[/h] Your input into this important project is critical. The Project Team will be hosting a number of public forums, live webcasts, workshops and online opportunities for interested persons to participate in the EA planning process. We invite you to the first public forum where you can learn more about the project, the alternatives being considered and what other jurisdictions have done with elevated waterfront expressways. You will also be able to ask questions and speak directly with members of the project team, offer input and submit comments.

[h=3]Public Meeting Details[/h] Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013
Time: 6:00p.m. – 8:30p.m.
(open house will begin at 6:00p.m. followed by presentations at 6:30p.m.)
Location: Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Room 701, South Building, 222 Bremner Boulevard

Please register for the event at: http://gardinerconsultation.eventbrite.com
If you can’t attend the meeting in person, you can participate and watch the meeting online. Please join us at www.gardinereast.ca where you can learn about the project and contribute your insights, ideas, and views. For more information or to be added to the project mailing list, contact info@gardinereast.ca , or call (416) 479-0662.

I always thougth there was promise to building a new Gardiner above the railway (http://www.toviaduct.com/Home.html) I wonder is the answer will be that it is beyond the scope of this EA, which only considers the eastern Gardiner. It looks like the scope of the EA is made small enough so that instead of trying to solve the whole problem with the best solution, they are just working on it piecemeal.

Council has already decided to repair the western section of the Gardiner. There has never been any "promise" to build a new Gardiner above the railway, and if it by chance make it to an EA, it would have been shot down with a big fat no for technical and non-technical reasons.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back