News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Highway 109 lasted only a few years. There's no need for it. I'm not going to rally for "Historic Highway 50" signs on Albion Road either.

Yeah exactly. I'm thinking main highways that served as important links between major cities, and were either bypassed by 400-series highways (Highway 2 to Highway 401), or highways that have been downloaded because their inter-city prominence has been reduced (Highway 5). Those types of highways were cruicial to the development of Ontario, and their existence/importance even pre-dates the numbering of highways in the 20s. Maybe even put up plaques or something at a few major intersections along the way, just telling a quick story of the importance of that highway.

427 extension to Major Mackenzie open by 2020 and HOT lanes from 409 to just north of Rutherford open by 2021

A couple weeks ago advance tree clearing began on lands adjacent to the 401 between Second Line and the Credit River. This week the construction contract for the widening of the 401 between McLaughlin and the Credit River was awarded to Dufferin Construction at 75 million dollars. Expect contract mobilization come April.

https://www.raqs.merx.com/public/bulletin/contractView.jsf?id=33898201

Did you know that as of May 2015, Paris France has no STOP (AKA ARRÉT for those in Québec) signs in the entire city. See link.

W. K. Lis, the Canadian French for "STOP" as in the stop sign is "ARRÊT" with a circumflex, not an acute accent.

Did you know that as of May 2015, Paris France has no STOP (AKA ARRÉT for those in Québec) signs in the entire city. See link.
I had a hard time finding Stop signs in Rome back in 2012 as well other places including Paris. A real eye opener.

A lot of places have no turning lanes as well.

I had a hard time finding Stop signs in Rome back in 2012 as well other places including Paris. A real eye opener.

A lot of places have no turning lanes as well.

I had a hard time finding street names, or highway numbers when I rented a car in Italy.

Street names are often on the sides of buildings.

And the highway numbers are rarely posted. They mostly have signs pointed to which towns a highway will take you to.

Nice to see this committed to. Interesting that the 401 will be widened to 5 lanes through this section. Since it will also be widened to 5 lanes through Cambridge, and the terrain is relatively friendly between Cambridge and Highway 6, I wonder what the chances of the rest of that section being widened in short order. Would require new overpasses at Puslinch Rds 32 and 35, the rest would be pretty straightforward widening.

ooh, been waiting for that one for a while now. I knew that project would get announced funding soon, good to see it finally on the docket.
Construction to begin in 2019. Gosh, I think they were less than that away from starting construction when I was driving it every day back in the early 1990s.

"He purchased an $800,000 home in the area in 2015 with no knowledge of the impending bypass. According to the maps released by the government, Wayne believes the highway could be within a hundred feet of his home."
Good grief, they've been talking about this for decades, and the current plans have been floating around for years, including the EA. And someone is complaining they didn't know about this? Surely, even if one was unaware, wouldn't one drive down Highway 6, look at the bottleneck, look at the map where Highway 6 goes, and wonder how they are going to connect it? I'm always shocked at the lack of due diligence some people have, when spending that kind of money.

It would be good if the Gordie Howe Bridge were cable-stayed (and not get damaged like Ontario's only existing cable-stayed bridge open to general traffic).

The first problem with Nipigon was that it was the wrong bridge for the location. Look at the 1974 bridge in this photo** - a plain old steel girder bridge with spans between 50 and 80m. That is the correct bridge for this location.

** - at the south is the 1885 CPR bridge (with much shorter spans), the 1974 highway bridge in the middle, and the new bridge to the north. The 1974 bridge will be demolished and the cable stay bridge completed to the south. I guess land acquisition costs are so high they couldn't move the cable stay bridge another 15 m north!
Nipigon-Bridge.jpg

There was one built for 417 at Arnprior over the Madawaska River that had 90 and 130m spans.

maxresdefault.jpg

Look at the adjacent bridge for the Gordie Howe and you have the Ambassador Bridge - with main span of 560m. This is the span range where cable stay makes sense.

Last edited:
Nice to see this committed to. Interesting that the 401 will be widened to 5 lanes through this section. Since it will also be widened to 5 lanes through Cambridge, and the terrain is relatively friendly between Cambridge and Highway 6, I wonder what the chances of the rest of that section being widened in short order. Would require new overpasses at Puslinch Rds 32 and 35, the rest would be pretty straightforward widening.

"The bypass will start near Freelton, where the four-lane Highway 6 turns into two lanes, said Puslinch Mayor Dennis Lever. It will continue west around Morriston until it reaches a roundabout northwest of the village."

A roundabout on New Hwy 6? Or is this the old Hwy 6 that is now a local road. A roundabout with this much traffic would be a disaster (in Europe they would signalize a high-volume roundabout).

Back