News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

You could make the 401 express lanes tolled, similar to the Lyndon B Johnson Expressway / I-635 in Dallas. They call it Texpress :p

http://www.texpresslanes.com/

I635_TX_cl_23-5_east_EB_t_Nov15_24x16.jpg

Source:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/TX/I/635/index.html

------

At the very least the leftmost express lane of the 401 could be cannibalized to create a HOV or HOT lane. To make it to proper standards however (with full left shoulder and stripped right buffer) some work is needed but that's not really nessacary. All you need is a rather large bucket of paint, some signs and, if you want to charge single drivers, toll cameras.

The point is tolling it or anything makes no sense as there no alternatives.
Unpopular opinion here, but the only way to get Ontarians to accept road tolls is to make it so that there's no choice or alternatives; therefore, it is required to pay a toll in order to get from point A to point B in a sensible way.

There are alternatives. Perhaps not popular or quick, but when the 401 is closed or backed up, you can get off and go around. I used to live in Northern Ontario. When the highway was closed, it meant a multi-hour detour into Quebec.

Is there any merit for a Highway 401 Transitway? I know the ROW for extra bus lanes do not exist, but will the existence of one help highway capacity and whether or not will have high ridership?

Is there any merit for a Highway 401 Transitway? I know the ROW for extra bus lanes do not exist, but will the existence of one help highway capacity and whether or not will have high ridership?

ROW for extra bus lanes do exist. The 401 has large shoulders along its entire stretch. A bus bypass system like what’s implemented on the DVP will work very well.

In fact a Yorkdale, Oriole GO, Don Mills, STC rocket bus using these lane may just be what we need.

Last edited:
ROW for extra bus lanes do exist. The 401 has large shoulders along its entire stretch. A bus bypass system like what’s implemented on the DVP will work very well.

In fact a Yorkdale, Oriole GO, Don Mills, STC rocket bus using these lane may just be what we need.
But buses using the shoulder are not immune to lane changing and off ramp traffic.

The point is tolling it or anything makes no sense as there no alternatives.

But there is an alternative. If you only toll the express lanes, you have the option of either paying to take the express lanes, or stick with the free lanes and sit in the collectors.

I think a good stretch for a route along the 401 would be from STC to the Pickering GO Station, there appears to be room along the south side, and could have useful stations at Centennial College and UTSC, and rush hour traffic along that stretch can be crippling.

I have long favoured a GO ROW along the 401. There is space in many places to do this (for buses or rail) without compromising car lanes or expropriation.

That said, I think its important to note than in the long-term, dedicating a 16-lane plus space to auto-travel is cost in-efficient and poor planning, even if car/transport becomes materially less polluting.

A re-think on layout that maximizes both goods and people movement would be welcome. I would invite freight rail into the corridor as well w/the advisory that its not well suited to intermodal in most locations for obvious reasons. But for throughput, much could be accomplished.

I think the 401 can be tolled like in the US for express lanes.

My point was that expanding the 401 in lanes is not a bad idea as it is the only real highway through southern Ontario.

I think the 401 can be tolled like in the US for express lanes.

My point was that expanding the 401 in lanes is not a bad idea as it is the only real highway through southern Ontario.
One can argue that Highway 400 is the other main highway in Southern Ontario. The only shortfall is that it doesn’t actually enter Downtown Toronto.

Back