News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The widening a political thing regarding safety.
The median wall is about safety - and the government had no problem building a median wall where there used to be a narrow ditch in all those sections between Newcastle and Kingston, and between Brockville and Cornwall without going from 4 to 6 lanes. Later on they revisited some of those sections between Newcastle and Cobourg, widening the highway and retaining the relatively new wall. Here's an example, if you compare the 2009 and 2018 Google Streetview!

Didn't think it was busy enough for that.
I guess you don't drive that section much?? I have driven that section since my 20's and its been a bitch many times when truck traffic is heavy. Even car traffic is a bitch. It was nice when they replace the 3 lanes of asphalt to concrete to deal with the truck groves. The people in the area have wanted 3 lanes with barrier over a decade or 2.

I guess you don't drive that section much?? I have driven that section since my 20's and its been a bitch many times when truck traffic is heavy. Even car traffic is a bitch. It was nice when they replace the 3 lanes of asphalt to concrete to deal with the truck groves. The people in the area have wanted 3 lanes with barrier over a decade or 2.

Plus the fact that you have to keep 2 lanes open at all times (given the amount of traffic + number of trucks). I believe the 401 near Newcastle had 1 lane for the construction period.

During construction you will first have to build the outside shoulder, the inside lane & barrier plus re-grade. So the 3 lanes will be 90%+ complete even if you constructed 2. No point deferring the residual 10% of work

Plus the fact that you have to keep 2 lanes open at all times (given the amount of traffic + number of trucks). I believe the 401 near Newcastle had 1 lane for the construction period.

During construction you will first have to build the outside shoulder, the inside lane & barrier plus re-grade. So the 3 lanes will be 90%+ complete even if you constructed 2. No point deferring the residual 10% of work
They only had one lane in each direction doing the bridge work and the 2 westbound lanes last year, west of 402

Most likely not, unless some big money is put into it. We may see the sections in and between Belleville and Trenton done by 2030ish, but that's about it.
Coming back from Montreal a couple of times this past month, I was amazed the there are still only 3 lanes in each direction. This started at kilometer 479.
Then traffic joined from Cobourg and Port Hope. Then from 35/115. Then from Bowmanville, Oshawa and Whitby. Finally, the exit to Salem Road at km 405 - still the 3 lanes are just ending.
I realize there is a fair bit of construction going on to widen here - but its surprising they let it get to this state. (although maybe the people in northwest Mississauga - Winston Churchill/401 - could say the same thing).

I don't know what their thresholds are but, anecdotally, I think it qualifies, especially given the large percentage of commercial vehicles. A major concern is the dangerous, narrow v-ditch median that covers much of the corridor.

I really wish they would make the entire section between Toronto and Montreal 3 lane too. Gets quite packed with trucks on the 2 lane parts and then when one truck tries to overtake another and take 10 minutes doing so its a real pain.

Coming back from Montreal a couple of times this past month, I was amazed the there are still only 3 lanes in each direction. This started at kilometer 479.
Then traffic joined from Cobourg and Port Hope. Then from 35/115. Then from Bowmanville, Oshawa and Whitby. Finally, the exit to Salem Road at km 405 - still the 3 lanes are just ending.
I realize there is a fair bit of construction going on to widen here - but its surprising they let it get to this state. (although maybe the people in northwest Mississauga - Winston Churchill/401 - could say the same thing).
Yeah. Mavis road and exits further to the west look too busy to have just a 6 lane road. Widening to 12-lane express collector from 6 lane shows how late they are in widening that stretch.

May 25
Someone was asking about 427 expansion and I finally got my photos up to the end of May on line to show what I saw on our way home from the air. Was really over cast and no idea where we were when I shot these and taken sometime to figure where it was.
48246719407_619b9816a9_b.jpg

48246629531_6798383d93_b.jpg

Random question: would a roundabout be able to safely and efficiently handle Toronto's 4-6 lane arterial traffic? If, for example, a 3 lane roundabout was to replace a major suburban intersection.

Yes, but entry would likely have to be signalized. Large volume roundabouts exist in Europe but are typically marked by short cycle signals at entry points to create gaps that allow large volumes of vehicles to enter from each direction at once.

They would probably be worth installing at intersections that have high turning volumes. The best part of roundabouts is that every direction of travel has equal capacity - while a traditional intersection has very limited left turning capacity especially.

An intersection like Carlaw and Lakeshore comes to mind. Tons and tons of left turning volume in the evening rush coming off the Gardiner, and lots of space to install it.

Yes, but entry would likely have to be signalized. Large volume roundabouts exist in Europe but are typically marked by short cycle signals at entry points to create gaps that allow large volumes of vehicles to enter from each direction at once.

They would probably be worth installing at intersections that have high turning volumes. The best part of roundabouts is that every direction of travel has equal capacity - while a traditional intersection has very limited left turning capacity especially.

An intersection like Carlaw and Lakeshore comes to mind. Tons and tons of left turning volume in the evening rush coming off the Gardiner, and lots of space to install it.
That would need a lot of space but would make them much safer for vehicles. Collisions would be less serious but they would need protected bike lanes.

May 25
Someone was asking about 427 expansion and I finally got my photos up to the end of May on line to show what I saw on our way home from the air. Was really over cast and no idea where we were when I shot these and taken sometime to figure where it was.

There is an official flyover video now from the builders:
Paving has started on some sections and some of the new bridges are complete.

From here: http://427expansion.ca/about-link-427/videos/

Back