News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Getting the 404 to link up with Highway 11 north of Lake Simcoe could really help alleviate traffic on the non-freeway sections of 11 between Hwy 400 and the most northern part of Lake Simcoe.

A pipe dream at this point- that is far off.

Something about cutting the environmental protections and as mentioned in the article above about expropriations fast tracking sounds like a good way to end up endlessly in court over these decisions. Especially, when it comes to free and informed consent with Indigenous people's; I foresee that forgoing these may actually end up with more time spend in courthouses unnecessarily in the name of 'fast tracking' and doing something. While I think the Bradford Bypass would be a good addition to connect the 400 and 404; as long as its the farthest connector piece allowed. I feel like we end up in these back and forth of Government 1 cuts regulations and then something bad happens; government 2 adds the protections back plus more which slows everything down again. Rinse and repeat.

'Free and informed consent' is not the legal benchmark in Canada, it is a UN position that Canada has not signed on to. Our benchmark is a 'duty of meaningful consultation'. What that exactly means was not clarified by the SCOC but it is interpreted by many as a veto. As recently occurred our west with Transmountain, the courts recently ruled that the government met that benchmark. Of course, those on the losing side aren't happy.

Well that list of EA exemptions is interesting. Since MTO has stopped publishing it's 5 year highways program under the PCs, it offers a glimse into what road works are planned in the next while.

The proposed legislation states that all the projects would have to be constructed within 10 years of the legislation passing for the exemption to still apply, so presumably MTO is gearing up to build them all.

Projects previously funded that are listed, so not surprised to see them:

- 401 Widening Tilbury to London;
- Highway 3 Widening Essex to Leamington;
- Highway 6 Morriston Bypass, 401/6 through running widening, and new interchange on the Hanlon Expressway to replace the existing County road 34 and Maltby Road intersections on the Hanlon Expressway;
- New highway 7 from Kitchener to Guelph;
- Credit River Bridge replacement;
- 417 extension to Renfrew;
- Highway 400 extension to Sudbury, including upgrading the approach to Highway 17;
- Highway 11/17 Twinning from Kenora to the Manitoba Border;
- Leslie Street interchange reconstruction on the 401 (this is already well under construction, not sure why an exception is needed); and
- Credit River bridge replacement on the QEW.

New projects that haven't been confirmed for funding, which make them interesting:

- Westchester Bourne and Dorchester Road interchange replacements on the 401 outside of London;
- New interchanges on the Hanlon Expressway between Laird Road and Wellington Street in Guelph;
- Widening of the 401 from Townline Road in Cambridge to the Halton Region Boundary (I don't believe MTO has completed the EA for the widening from the Halton Region boundary to Highway 25, so I imagine they'll do that shortly before constructing it, not requiring a TESR exception);
- New interchange at Highway 6 and Highway 5 in Waterdown;
- Widening of Highway 35/7 around Lindsay;
- Operational improvements to Highway 7 from Peterborough to Perth, including new passing lanes, intersection improvements, and 4 laning around Perth;
- New interchange at County Road 30 and the 401 in Brighton;
- Highway 400 widening from Highway 9 to Highway 11 (note that the stretch between King Road and Highway 9 still isn't formally funded, however all but 2km is currently under construction, so I imagine an exception for the 2km remaining wasn't required); and
- a new interchange on Highway 11 south of Huntsville at South Mary Lake Road (currently at grade).

.. highway 69 is interesting. They still dont have agreements with the first nations (there are 3 of them) and one of them said in March it's been over a year since they last talked with the Province. The sticking point is compensation - both future and past as the province never paid them for putting the highway through there reserves originally.. Most of the remaining 70km left (after French River is done) is twinning.

Well that list of EA exemptions is interesting. Since MTO has stopped publishing it's 5 year highways program under the PCs, it offers a glimse into what road works are planned in the next while.

The proposed legislation states that all the projects would have to be constructed within 10 years of the legislation passing for the exemption to still apply, so presumably MTO is gearing up to build them all.

- Highway 6 Morriston Bypass, 401/6 through running widening, and new interchange on the Hanlon Expressway to replace the existing County road 34 and Maltby Road intersections on the Hanlon Expressway;
- Highway 400 extension to Sudbury, including upgrading the approach to Highway 17;
- Leslie Street interchange reconstruction on the 401 (this is already well under construction, not sure why an exception is needed); and

New projects that haven't been confirmed for funding, which make them interesting:

- Westchester Bourne and Dorchester Road interchange replacements on the 401 outside of London;
- New interchanges on the Hanlon Expressway between Laird Road and Wellington Street in Guelph;
- Widening of the 401 from Townline Road in Cambridge to the Halton Region Boundary (I don't believe MTO has completed the EA for the widening from the Halton Region boundary to Highway 25, so I imagine they'll do that shortly before constructing it, not requiring a TESR exception);
- Operational improvements to Highway 7 from Peterborough to Perth, including new passing lanes, intersection improvements, and 4 laning around Perth;
- Highway 400 widening from Highway 9 to Highway 11 (note that the stretch between King Road and Highway 9 still isn't formally funded, however all but 2km is currently under construction, so I imagine an exception for the 2km remaining wasn't required); and
- a new interchange on Highway 11 south of Huntsville at South Mary Lake Road (currently at grade).

Thanks for the list. Do you have a link where you found this by chance? I haven't been able to find one.

The 401 median is being rebuilt in east London and east of the city. Driving this on Canada Day weekend, I saw new central supports casted as part of this work for a new span of the 401/Westchester Bourne interchange. I'm sure the one for Dorchester Road will be done soon.

This would leave the Highway 4 cloverleaf as one of the last original 401 bridges to remain. It probably won't be replaced until the Tilbury-London widening progresses this far west so it will should stick around for a while later.

So would the widening in Cambridge, Guelph and Milton mean that the entire 6-lane span of the 401 from Highway 8 to 410 will be expanded right? I can't wait to drive that long-ass HOV lane to whiz by everything, but I guess I may have to wait another decade.

Oh and all these interchanges in Guelph - does this mean the Hanlon Expressway will be a full freeway? Guess it will recieve more traffic once the Kitchener-Guelph Highway 7 freeway completes.

The list is here:

The Highway 4 cloverleaf is listed as well, I just didn't list it as a separate line item from the 401 widening through that area. I imagine it'll get ripped out fairly quickly as by the sounds of it the province wants to move on the widening of the entire 401 stretch relatively quickly given the scale of the project.

The 401 widening from Milton to Cambridge isn't explicitly listed, as the entire stretch doesn't have an EA completed yet. but I imagine it's coming, yes. The parts not yet fully funded aren't super congested yet though so I'm not sure if it imminent or not. Given that the EA hasn't even been completed I'm guessing it's a while off yet.

Highway 6 will be a full freeway from Wellington St to Freelton by the looks of it, but will still have at grade intersections through the north end of Guelph.

Personally I'm most eager for the 400 widening. I'm hopeful that's sooner rather than later - HOVs should help immensely which cottage bound traffic, which is when I typically use it.

.. highway 69 is interesting. They still dont have agreements with the first nations (there are 3 of them) and one of them said in March it's been over a year since they last talked with the Province. The sticking point is compensation - both future and past as the province never paid them for putting the highway through there reserves originally.. Most of the remaining 70km left (after French River is done) is twinning.

Recall the approx. 7km stretch of remaining 2-lane bottleneck through Wahta FN when the 400 was widened several years ago that was in place for years. When it becomes a land claim issue it is tripartite (FN-Prov-Fed) and proceeds at land claim speed.

My understanding was that they rerouted the highway around the shawanaga First Nation reserve, didn’t they? That just leaves Magnetawan and Henley Inlet.

No .. they cant reroute without it a huge fight. The only spot to reroute (from the PIC's 15 years ago) would put it through Shawanaga tradtional hunting lands, which is attached to the reserve however not part of it. The fact they are twinning through Shawanaga and Magnetawan suggests they are planning for a couple Wahta style gaps. Henley remains the most likely to sign soon, I thought there was something about them wanting to purchase highway 69 because of the windmill farm they are building on the reserve, also the liberals started building that leg by rerouting the CN line to make room for an interchange with 522. Ford came in and stopped it.. all that is left is to build the new track:

1594471374921.png

Yeah 404 extending towards where 48 and 12 meet would be fine I think.

Or they need to expand the 400 through barrie.

There is wayyyy to much traffic funneling through Barrie to go North.

Honestly id be happy with a provincial highway style road along the gta west corridor ( a la hwy 9 or 115/35) rather than a full 400 series highway. East west travel across the central/north part of york region is a hige pain.

An alternative 400 series rouring id suggest is from just north of barrie (around the 400/11 split, and running roughly south west through orangeville and the kitchener/waterloo/guelph triangle. I can see this routing being beneficial to trucking companies bringing goods to/from central/northern ontario and south western Ontario while bypassing the gta

How about widening Hwy 85 in Kitchener between Lancaster and Regional Rd. 15 and Hwy 7/8 between Fischer-Hallman and Trussler. As well as the 410 between Queen and Mayfield?

Honestly id be happy with a provincial highway style road along the gta west corridor ( a la hwy 9 or 115/35) rather than a full 400 series highway. East west travel across the central/north part of york region is a hige pain.

An alternative 400 series rouring id suggest is from just north of barrie (around the 400/11 split, and running roughly south west through orangeville and the kitchener/waterloo/guelph triangle. I can see this routing being beneficial to trucking companies bringing goods to/from central/northern ontario and south western Ontario while bypassing the gta

I think the term you're looking for is "in/out expressway"

Back