News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I was on the 406 highway on the weekend and that highway is a divided highway from the QEW in St. Catharines to the north part of the city of Welland. Then the highway is a non divided highway through the rest of the city of Welland as well as to its southern terminus at East Main St. It looks like the non-divided part of that highway is getting some work and soon it will be all divided and grade seperated. They are constructing some overpasses or planning to and soon the whole highway will be a divided highway that has no intersection and instead have over or under passes like the northern stretch of this highway. I hope they continue extending this highway south and then east to Fort Erie so that this highway could take a lot of load off the QEW. The Peace Bridge in Fort Erie is planning to be replaced and expanded so that trucks and commerce move better between the two countries and the 406 could help ease some of this future increase in traffic.

On top of this, I'd like to see the 403 extended to meet with the 402. This would create a desperately needed freeway in north London, and would take stress off the 401 between the 402 and 403.
If I remember, the plan originally was that the Highway 8 expressway would be extended past Stratford, past St. Marys, and go around north London ... and I think that included an east-side highway for London. London killed that for some reason decades ago ...

That highway map from Wikipedia looks like fantasy! There's always this odd fantasy element to the 400-series highway article on Wikipedia ...and when you challenge them on something, they refer to an obscure, out-of-date, article with the musings of some ex-official, which has no basis in current provincial policy - and yet they say that's encyclopædic. It's all rather odd ...

I think the ultimate plan is to connect Highway 404 with Highway 11, creating an alternative around Lake Simcoe and ultimately taking stress of the 400.

This (old) map from Wikipedia shows proposed 400-Series Highways. As you can see, Highway 427 would indeed curve and meet the 400.

Main article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/400-series_highways

On top of this, I'd like to see the 403 extended to meet with the 402. This would create a desperately needed freeway in north London, and would take stress off the 401 between the 402 and 403.

I agree with nfitz, some of the proposed alignments on that map are downright bizarre.

Regarding the whole Lake Simcoe issue, what I'd ideally like to see is the 404 continue up around the east side of the lake, and connect with Highway 11 (which would gradually have it's at-grade sections upgraded, even though it's nearly all twinned now), making the 404 the main highway up to North Bay (and ending at the 11/17 junction). The connection between 404 and 11 would occur north of Orillia, in order to bypass much of the harder-to-upgrade 4 lane section between Orillia and Gravenhurst. I'm thinking connect in somewhere near Severn Bridge.

And I'd like to see the 427 continue north and connect with the 400 somewhere between Highways 9 and 89. But rather than stopping at the 400, I'd like to see it actually terminate at the 404, providing a good connection between the 3 N-S highways.

And while we're on the topic of highway upgrades, I drove to North Bay from Ottawa this weekend, and it looks like the extension of the 417 (which is basically just a twinning of the existing Highway 17) is almost done between the edge of the City of Ottawa and just passed Arnprior. They're doing the decking on the 2nd bridge over the Madawaska now, and a few more overpasses need to be finished. Projected finish time based on the signs is Fall 2012, which looks pretty reasonable right now.

They also have a 2nd roadbed roughed in for a few KMs beyond the end of the current twinning, so they may be starting a 2nd phase once this phase is done. Haven't read anything about it though. There's a lot of traffic between Arnprior and Renfrew, so if any section of 17 is going to be upgraded next, it'll be that section.

They also have a 2nd roadbed roughed in for a few KMs beyond the end of the current twinning, so they may be starting a 2nd phase once this phase is done. Haven't read anything about it though. There's a lot of traffic between Arnprior and Renfrew, so if any section of 17 is going to be upgraded next, it'll be that section.

I can picture the primary goal for all of this being Petawawa--sort of like a Fort McMurray or a Whistler circumstance. (Esp. under military-friendly leadership like Harper's)

I can picture the primary goal for all of this being Petawawa--sort of like a Fort McMurray or a Whistler circumstance. (Esp. under military-friendly leadership like Harper's)

That would be a pretty substantial extension though. Petawawa is at least an hour from Renfrew (which is about 15-20 mins from Arnprior).

But yes, I can see that happening eventually. One of the main reasons why I-81 was put north of Watertown was because of Fort Drum.

Also, traffic levels gradually step down from Arnprior to Petawawa, with west of Petawawa being an almost empty highway most of the day (which makes for a very nice drive, but it doesn't bode well for a 4 lane expressway anytime soon). Any expansion west of Petawawa would be for safety and simply for the goal to have as much of the Trans-Canada 4 lanes as possible. Much like the widening of Highway 2 through most of New Brunswick. The traffic volumes didn't really justify it, but it was a good safety upgrade and a good make-work project.

Last edited:
Why the hell is that irrelevant Yankee stuff being posted here? This is an Ontario highways discussion thread.

The speed limit on Ontario highways does not go above 100 km/h. The Texas highway is being planned for 136.8 km/h (85 mph). There have been discussions to increase the Ontario speed limits above 100 km/h.

If only this was reality:

lawh.png

Or this

C25b_ex1.gif

Especially for rural sections

Does anybody know where I can find information in regards to the progress of Highway 404 extension.

If only this was reality:

C25b_ex1.gif

The trouble we have is the fixed speed limits we have. The speed limits should be posted according to conditions in the area. Snow: 80; Traffic: 90; Clear: 130. Having the speed posted at 100 at all times is dangerous.

The speed limit on Ontario highways does not go above 100 km/h. The Texas highway is being planned for 136.8 km/h (85 mph). There have been discussions to increase the Ontario speed limits above 100 km/h.

I don't think it will get passed- not only for safety reasons but for enviromental- most vehicle- including heavy truck operate most efficiently (use the least fuel) at just below 100K. The new hybrids are different then most cars though they get the worse fuel consumtion at highway speeds compared to city driving! Hybrids are better for staying in the city then taking out on the highways- opposite of strictly internal combustion engines which get better fuel efficiency on highways (as long as they aren't speeding) compared to stop and go city driving.

So with the US and Canada considering laws on fleet fuel efficiency regulation I hope they don't raise the speed limits-as well as for the important reason of safety.

So it looks like a new border crossing linking Highway 401 with the US has been approved.
Indeed. Looks like Harper has solved the problem with Michigan not wanting to spend much money by paying for the entire project with our taxes, including all the US approach roads.

Oh well, I've been to Detroit, and I'm aware that foreign aid is a good thing, despite the cost.

Indeed. Looks like Harper has solved the problem with Michigan not wanting to spend much money by paying for the entire project with our taxes, including all the US approach roads.

Oh well, I've been to Detroit, and I'm aware that foreign aid is a good thing, despite the cost.

Canada could annex the lands around the highways and bridges it builds on the US side.

Back