News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The only time I find GO is actually time competetive is express trains on LSW in rush hour, and that's with traffic on the QEW being completely screwed right now because of the Credit River bridge replacement and Dixie Rd interchange project.

If you are looking strictly for the fastest travel time, its usually going to be driving outside of a few niche situations.

You're just going to ignore my statistic where 44% of people feel unsafe? Not one person on this website lives in the real world.
If you don't address peoples concerns you're going to wonder why transit usage is dropping, and hand wave away every single problem I've brought up (line closures for years, routes that don't show on tracking apps, nearly half of riders feeling unsafe) etc

Do these people feel unsafe because of the countless media stories "claiming" that the TTC is unsafe yet actual statistics would demonstrate that it is not unsafe.

It's like anyone of the opinion that Toronto is "unsafe" yet the crime statistics would demonstrate otherwise.
They have fixated on media headlines of a few incidents and drawn a baseless conclusion.

People that get their "opinions" from media headlines should be taken with a grain of salt.

Do these people feel unsafe because of the countless media stories "claiming" that the TTC is unsafe yet actual statistics would demonstrate that it is not unsafe.

It's like anyone of the opinion that Toronto is "unsafe" yet the crime statistics would demonstrate otherwise.
They have fixated on media headlines of a few incidents and drawn a baseless conclusion.

People that get their "opinions" from media headlines should be taken with a grain of salt.
So this problem is two fold. I stopped reporting incidents that happened to me as clearly nothing is going to be done, and a lot of people are in the same boat. If you have zero faith in the authorities this happens a lot, it’s why crime in low income neighborhoods isn’t reported and things look safer than they are.

The second part is I haven’t gone on ONE SINGLE TRIP this year without hearing someone screaming either at a passenger or just the general vicinity. Then you add in the multiple daily service suspensions and people don’t want to put up with either being uncomfortable or late then packed into a shuttle bus or the first train that resumes running.

So this problem is two fold. I stopped reporting incidents that happened to me as clearly nothing is going to be done, and a lot of people are in the same boat. If you have zero faith in the authorities this happens a lot, it’s why crime in low income neighborhoods isn’t reported and things look safer than they are.

The second part is I haven’t gone on ONE SINGLE TRIP this year without hearing someone screaming either at a passenger or just the general vicinity. Then you add in the multiple daily service suspensions and people don’t want to put up with either being uncomfortable or late then packed into a shuttle bus or the first train that resumes running.
That's all opinion and not data to support the TTC being unsafe.
Someone screaming or yelling at the boogeyman is not an incident of crime.

I have been commuting on the TTC multiple days per week for over a year post Covid and do not feel unsafe.

In my opinion, service suspensions, crowded trains are less stressful/frustrating than driving and being stuck in unexpected traffic jams (or regular traffic jams).

That's all opinion and not data to support the TTC being unsafe.
Someone screaming or yelling at the boogeyman is not an incident of crime.

I have been commuting on the TTC multiple days per week for over a year post Covid and do not feel unsafe.

In my opinion, service suspensions, crowded trains are less stressful/frustrating than driving and being stuck in unexpected traffic jams (or regular traffic jams).
Other posers here have agreed driving is generally more consistent (but this is something we can maybe explore more?)

But I've given data that almost half of people fell unsafe, and pointed out that crime figures are likely artificially low.
Now it's a game of what statistic would satisfy the condition of there is a problem?

Transit absolutely does have a problem of people feeling it is unsafe, but that doesn't mean it is, it could be a media fabrication. The TTC was the subject of what almost felt like a smear campaign earlier this year with how much negative attention individual incidents were being reported on. My mother would probably answer a survey that she would feel unsafe on transit. She is retired, lives in the suburbs with a car, maybe rides the ttc once a month to go downtown, and has never personally had a bad experience. But she watches CP24, the 24-hour violent crime network, so she thinks Line 1 is Afghanistan and Line 2 is Iraq.

And to be honest turbanplanner, I can't tell you your experiences didn't happen or that your feelings of being unsafe are wrong, but your experiences just don't track with mine.

I have ridden the TTC every day for years as a young, physically unimposing person. I rode downtown, I rode in the suburbs, I rode the subway, and I rode the bus through "bad" neighborhoods. I rode during peak and off-peak times, and often during the middle of the night (I go to a lot of concerts). I have never, not once in my years of riding the TTC, ever felt unsafe. Have I encountered unstable people? Sure. But I was always taught that just because someone has an addiction or mental illness doesn't mean they are a danger to me. In fact, such people are often more a danger to themselves than others.

So this description of your rides being wild adventures full of danger leads me to believe that you probably just have misplaced sense of whether you are actually in danger. For example, you mention unstable people screaming at other passengers. I would just put my ear buds in and ignore that, you make it sound like some dangerous ordeal.

Transit absolutely does have a problem of people feeling it is unsafe, but that doesn't mean it is, it could be a media fabrication. The TTC was the subject of what almost felt like a smear campaign earlier this year with how much negative attention individual incidents were being reported on. My mother would probably answer a survey that she would feel unsafe on transit. She is retired, lives in the suburbs with a car, maybe rides the ttc once a month to go downtown, and has never personally had a bad experience. But she watches CP24, the 24-hour violent crime network, so she thinks Line 1 is Afghanistan and Line 2 is Iraq.

And to be honest turbanplanner, I can't tell you your experiences didn't happen or that your feelings of being unsafe are wrong, but your experiences just don't track with mine.

I have ridden the TTC every day for years as a young, physically unimposing person. I rode downtown, I rode in the suburbs, I rode the subway, and I rode the bus through "bad" neighborhoods. I rode during peak and off-peak times, and often during the middle of the night (I go to a lot of concerts). I have never, not once in my years of riding the TTC, ever felt unsafe. Have I encountered unstable people? Sure. But I was always taught that just because someone has an addiction or mental illness doesn't mean they are a danger to me. In fact, such people are often more a danger to themselves than others.

So this description of your rides being wild adventures full of danger leads me to believe that you probably just have misplaced sense of whether you are actually in danger. For example, you mention unstable people screaming at other passengers. I would just put my ear buds in and ignore that, you make it sound like some dangerous ordeal.
Maybe I have worse luck than you? How many times have you seen people playing on the tracks in person?

Difference in perception of safety could be because of difference in areas of commute. I never had a safety concern with TTC in suburbs - buses or subway. But in Downtown, it's totally different. You would often hear people screaming and yelling on streetcars and subway or streets in general. Commuting from North York to Downtown feels like commuting from Canada to Syria.

The new Highway 7 between Guelph and Kitchener seems to be chugging along.
Good to hear. Hopefully we can see the start of the Grand River Bridges and HWY 6/Woodlawn Road Interchange projects in the next couple of years. This highway is going to be even more urgently needed than it already is, with the recent provincially-mandated urban boundary expansion out toward the airport.

I took a look through the WSP September 2023 Design and Construction Report, here are some more images:
HWY7-1.png
HWY7-2.png
HWY7-3.png
HWY7-4.png

Feeling unsafe on the TTC is a serious issue that can't be washed away with statistics as much as we may want to do so. In a car people feel in control, when there is something concerning outside the car they can lock the doors, and they can control their environment completely (sound, smell, cleanliness, temperature, and the person sitting next to them). The fact that it is actually safe next to the loud racist person with Tourettes, downwind from the person that smells of urine or feces, or stuck going nowhere because there are investigations in stations, people on the tracks, or people pushing alarms is pretty irrelevant in the review that people will give the TTC. What matters is how common or uncommon these events are, and how much they are things people have experienced vs things they have only heard about.

This isn't the right thread for this discussion so probably this response and the posts on the same topic should be moved to the right place.

Stumbled across a major project currently in planning for HWY 61 in Thunder Bay. Based on the history on the MTO project site, the first PIC for this project was slated to happen in 2017, but was put on ice until around 2021. The second PIC just occurred just over a week ago on October 5, 2023 and shows that MTO is planning for an upgrade of HWY 61 to a freeway standard from Thunder Bay International Airport (Princess Street) to Chippewa Street. This follows another MTO study that was concluded in 2017 for a full grade separation of the Thunder Bay Expressway. The website is gone now but fortunately for us, there are still documents available in the Wayback Machine that I was able to find again. Combined, these projects result in approximately 17km of continuous new freeway planned in Thunder Bay.

I am suspecting that the HWY 61 project got started back up again due to the Critical Minerals/EV push in Northern Ontario. The Thunder Bay Expressway study did finish up and a full TESR report was produced, so in theory, there wouldn’t be many obstacles to starting that portion of the project in the near future, aside from political priorities and funding.

HWY 61 Documents:
HWY61-PIC2023.png
HWY61-TPA1.png
HWY61-TPA2.png
HWY61-TPA3.png
HWY61-TPA4.png
HWY61-TPA5.png
HWY61-TPP1.png
HWY61-TPP2.png

Thunder Bay Expressway Documents:

TBEXPWY-PIC2016.png

TBEXPWY-PICSumm.png

TBEXPWY-TPP1.png

TBEXPWY-TPP2.png

TBEXPWY-TPP3.png

Last edited:
Stumbled across a major project currently in planning for HWY 61 in Thunder Bay. Based on the history on the MTO project site, the first PIC for this project was slated to happen in 2017, but was put on ice until around 2021. The second PIC just occurred just over a week ago on October 5, 2023 and shows that MTO is planning for an upgrade of HWY 61 to a freeway standard from Thunder Bay International Airport (Princess Street) to Chippewa Street. This follows another MTO study that was concluded in 2017 for a full grade separation of the Thunder Bay Expressway. The website is gone now but fortunately for us, there are still documents available in the Wayback Machine that I was able to find again. Combined, these projects result in approximately 17km of continuous new freeway planned in Thunder Bay.

I am suspecting that the HWY 61 project got started back up again due to the Critical Minerals/EV push in Northern Ontario. The Thunder Bay Expressway study did finish up and a full TESR report was produced, so in theory, there wouldn’t be many obstacles to starting that portion of the project in the near future, aside from political priorities and funding.

HWY 61 Documents:
View attachment 513217View attachment 513218View attachment 513219View attachment 513220View attachment 513221View attachment 513222View attachment 513223View attachment 513224

Thunder Bay Expressway Documents:

View attachment 513240
View attachment 513241
View attachment 513242
View attachment 513243
View attachment 513244
I'm not sure how much recent mineral exploration activity plays into this but you could be right. The Hwy 61 approach into the city has always been a bit convoluted, and the "Expressway" has always struck me as a very much non-express expressway. Kinda like the Hwy 17 Sudbury bypass(es). The one element that is sorely needed is an improved interchange at Hwy 102 which carries much of the E-W transport traffic.

Back