News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm not a fan of cheap Trump jokes, but that quote from Doug that insert highlighted above sounds straight out of a "bigly" speech ?

Look, this is a highway thread, we don't care about the nitpicking of an "Ontario Line" name that connects Ontario Science Centre and Ontario Place.

Where were the QEW/Gardiner and 401 announcements?!?!

^ coming I imagine.

I know that MTO was planning on adding HOVs to the QEW in the relatively near term through Mississauga - perhaps they will be extended onto the Gardiner?

The 401 may just be a widening through Mississauga and Milton like long planned.

Who knows though, maybe they will surprise us and widen the 401 at its pinch point through Etobicoke.

Any details?
2019 Budget.png

I find it odd the for the 401 between Tilbury-London being 6 lanes when it been reported its only 4 lane west of 402 thats has been rebuilt. My last trip that way only saw 2 new westbound lanes only. You can put 6 lanes in easy and was surprised it being only 4, when west of Tilbury is 6.

A lot of sections of the 401 between Tilbury and London have recently been reconstructed as well. The drainage seems to be properly designed for a 4-lane grass median highway.

Filling in the median on these rebuilt stretches may cause a lot of headaches when it comes to the slope of the highway. That inner lane might be on quite an angle or else the entire roadway would need to be rebuilt.

Bad planning here. The rebuild projects should have just made it 6 lanes and we would not have these headaches.

Is the twinning of 11/17 being built to 400-series specs (minus the at-grade intersections)? Is the section of 11 between Gravenhurst and North Bay the template for future northern highway widenings?

Is the twinning of 11/17 being built to 400-series specs (minus the at-grade intersections)? Is the section of 11 between Gravenhurst and North Bay the template for future northern highway widenings?
Much of the new stuff (built from scratch in past 25 years) had a 140 km/h design speed. It is truly the Cadillac of highways. Apparently the parts that were built ~40 years ago, which allowed turn from and into the median, was quite expensive to upgrade to freeway. They were still force to leave a couple of these left turns in place.
Highway 69 conversion to 400, which is mostly new alignment, is maybe more the new norm.

Depends a lot on the location.

MTO's long term plans around Sudbury and North Bay are for full 400 series standards, while further north at Kenora and Thunder Bay it's being built to an even lower standard than 11, with almost no interchanges, mostly just an extra carriageway and improved grades and alignment.

Thanks to both of you for the explanation. I know that the 69 twinning is being built to full 400-series standards because it's intended to be part of Hwy 400. I just wasn't sure where along the spectrum the other projects were going to lie. And yes, going with 400-series standards around Sudbury and North Bay makes sense, given that it's the urban sections that need that freeway configuration most. Eventually it will just become a matter of stitching those various freeway segments together.

Back