News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

IIRC correctly yes. It was years ago but I recall reading something about each additional lane added beyond 3 increases lane jumping and thus increases odds of collisions above the additional capacity of the added lane. Though I could be mis remembering.
That does sound about right.
Anecdotally I am more comfortable driving in a 3x3 collector/express system than a full 6 lane system. Just the thought of being stuck in the middle lanes in the event of an emergency is crazy.
Probably 4x4 is the limit to what most people are comfortable in driving in.

Anecdotally I am more comfortable driving in a 3x3 collector/express system than a full 6 lane system. Just the thought of being stuck in the middle lanes in the event of an emergency is crazy.

Probably 4x4 is the limit to what most people are comfortable in driving in.
In my experience, it's more to do with the traffic volume.

For example, I feel comfortable on the 407 five lane segments even in pre COVID rush. Because the volume isn't overwhelming like the 401, I don't feel boxed in. Having five lanes instead of three never bothered me.

On the other hand, driving in rush weekend cottage traffic returning to Toronto on the 400 is harrowing despite the three lanes--130 km/h bumper to bumper in the top lane is not for the faint of heart. Again, it's the volume making the drive stressful.

NEWS RELEASE

Ontario Releases 2021 Ontario Highways Program​

View Current and Planned Highway Projects and Investments Across the Province
July 21, 2021
Ministry of Transportation
TORONTO — The Ontario government has released the 2021 Ontario Highways Program, an online resource that provides information on highway investments and projects that are planned and underway. Delivering on its commitments, the province is improving transportation infrastructure and creating thousands of good paying jobs for Ontarians.

“This valuable information allows people to see highway projects that are being built or planned in their communities and across the province,” said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. “It also helps the construction industry by providing a multi-year outlook of planned projects to help them better prepare for the future.”

Ontario has allocated approximately $2.6 billion in funding for 2021-22 to expand and repair provincial highways and bridges, which will also spur economic growth. In fact, it is estimated that every $100 million invested in Ontario’s highway infrastructure will create $70 million of real provincial GDP in addition to direct and indirect economic benefits to highway users in 2021.

The Ontario Highways Program includes data on over 580 expansion and rehabilitation projects that have committed construction funding and are either underway or currently planned. All expansion projects with construction funding are identified, while rehabilitation projects are focused on a four-year period (2021-2024).

“Our government understands the importance of reliable, accessible transportation for the movement of essential goods and services in our northern communities,” said Greg Rickford, Minister of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry. “A strong transportation system makes a strong economy. Today’s announcement is great news for the people and businesses who live in the North.”

The 2021 program is viewable to everyone on the Ontario Highways Program website. Beginning this year, the published program will include more detailed project information, such as the engineering status, value range, and where known, delivery model. The program will also be updated twice per year.

Quick Facts​

• Ontario is investing more than $21 billion over the next 10 years to expand and repair highways and bridges.
  • The Ministry of Transportation delivers the Northern Highways Program jointly with the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry to plan and prioritize new construction and repair projects in Northern Ontario.

Additional Resources​

NEWS RELEASE

Ontario Releases 2021 Ontario Highways Program​

View Current and Planned Highway Projects and Investments Across the Province
July 21, 2021
Ministry of Transportation
TORONTO — The Ontario government has released the 2021 Ontario Highways Program, an online resource that provides information on highway investments and projects that are planned and underway. Delivering on its commitments, the province is improving transportation infrastructure and creating thousands of good paying jobs for Ontarians.

“This valuable information allows people to see highway projects that are being built or planned in their communities and across the province,” said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. “It also helps the construction industry by providing a multi-year outlook of planned projects to help them better prepare for the future.”

Ontario has allocated approximately $2.6 billion in funding for 2021-22 to expand and repair provincial highways and bridges, which will also spur economic growth. In fact, it is estimated that every $100 million invested in Ontario’s highway infrastructure will create $70 million of real provincial GDP in addition to direct and indirect economic benefits to highway users in 2021.

The Ontario Highways Program includes data on over 580 expansion and rehabilitation projects that have committed construction funding and are either underway or currently planned. All expansion projects with construction funding are identified, while rehabilitation projects are focused on a four-year period (2021-2024).

“Our government understands the importance of reliable, accessible transportation for the movement of essential goods and services in our northern communities,” said Greg Rickford, Minister of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry. “A strong transportation system makes a strong economy. Today’s announcement is great news for the people and businesses who live in the North.”

The 2021 program is viewable to everyone on the Ontario Highways Program website. Beginning this year, the published program will include more detailed project information, such as the engineering status, value range, and where known, delivery model. The program will also be updated twice per year.

Quick Facts​

• Ontario is investing more than $21 billion over the next 10 years to expand and repair highways and bridges.
  • The Ministry of Transportation delivers the Northern Highways Program jointly with the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry to plan and prioritize new construction and repair projects in Northern Ontario.

Additional Resources​

Something I don't see any indication of on the program page is whether highways designated in the Provincial bicycle route plan are actually getting those lanes during rehab projects. I only looked at a couple of the projects but couldn't see any info.

.. interesting most of highway 69 state design upcoming even though the design was finished years ago. And only one section has a start date: Highway 522 to Britt will start in 23/24. It makes me wonder if the province is moving to junk the 400-standard design for the remaining sections and going with a 11/17 "standard" instead, and/or rerouting the highway around the reserves.

I believe
.. interesting most of highway 69 state design upcoming even though the design was finished years ago. And only one section has a start date: Highway 522 to Britt will start in 23/24. It makes me wonder if the province is moving to junk the 400-standard design for the remaining sections and going with a 11/17 "standard" instead, and/or rerouting the highway around the reserves.
The timelines are for construction start - the "engineering status" is the project's status as of today I believe.

So basically that means that the next parts of the Highway 69 twinning will be starting in 2023-2024. There are also two segments starting in that time frame, the 522 to Britt portion and an extension of the 400 northwards.

On another note, the Highway 400 widening program seems to be advancing quite quickly considering it's recent announcement, which is good. The widening from King Road to Highway 9 starts next year and then Langstaff to Major Mack starts in "2023-2024".

Last edited:
I wonder why all the work going on the QEW/403 interchange in Oakville isn't included in this program. Such a massive project, yet so little information out there.

I wonder why all the work going on the QEW/403 interchange in Oakville isn't included in this program. Such a massive project, yet so little information out there.
The project is basically done is why, I believe it is supposed to be wrapping up by October from what I recall... it's mostly just bridge replacements and rehabilitations. I am happily awaiting the removal of the temporary 403 off ramp Eastbound, that is causing a ton of traffic issues.

The project is basically done is why, I believe it is supposed to be wrapping up by October from what I recall... it's mostly just bridge replacements and rehabilitations. I am happily awaiting the removal of the temporary 403 off ramp Eastbound, that is causing a ton of traffic issues.
Really? Sure seems to be a whole lot of work to do still. I thought they were going to build a whole new ramp for drivers who wanted to go eastbound on the QEW from the 403? They haven't even begun to widen the 403 between the QEW and 407 from its existing 4 lanes to 6. QEW doesn't seem appropriately widened to accommodate the HOV extension to Winston Churchill.

Really? Sure seems to be a whole lot of work to do still. I thought they were going to build a whole new ramp for drivers who wanted to go eastbound on the QEW from the 403? They haven't even begun to widen the 403 between the QEW and 407 from its existing 4 lanes to 6. QEW doesn't seem appropriately widened to accommodate the HOV extension to Winston Churchill.
none of that work is occurring right now. It's just a rehabilitation program right now which protects for that work in the future. They are moslty just replacing the QEW/Ford Drive bridge (already done) and QEW/403 bridge (almost done), along with resurfacing and replacing the central barrier with a modern concrete Ontario Tall Wall.

I believe there will be some widening of the QEW across the 403 underpass to accommodate future HOVs, but it will be blocked off with Jersey Barriers much like the future HOVs were at King Road for years.

MTO completed the EA for the full widening and new flyovers a few years ago to prepare for this work as they wanted to protect for those projects in the future, but didn't intend on constructing it immediately. It's the same thing with the Freeman interchange in Burlington, MTO just completed the EA for that recently as there are a few bridge replacements happening in the area over the next few years and they want to make sure the new bridge structures can accommodate any widening in the future.

Just to revive this forum-

Is there any evidence to suggest that the collector/express systems on the 427/401 would be better than lets just say, a 6x6 configuration?
Collector systems allow for the easier construction of bridges since you can place 3 sets of piers in the freeway ROW instead of 1 set. This may not sound like a big deal, but when it comes to construction staging, and construction, you need far less specialized equipment to move the large bridge girders.

Ontario needs to update its traffic bylaws and change how traffic lights should work as well road speed. More important, drivers being more courtesy. Both cars and 5 ton trucks were weaving in and out of traffic on the 401 and crossing 4 lanes to get to the collectors today. Then, been that way for decades,

Other than Quebec, the east coast province roads have 110 km speed limit and drivers are very courtesy to pedestrians. Very rare I was pass doing 110-120 on the highway

As we waited for an opening in traffic to cross a road in St John that had no crossing point, cars in both direction stop and wave us across the road. This happen a number of times in other cities we visited while I was photographing to the point I wave to the cars to keep on going. Will never see this much in Ontario.

I like the horizontal traffic lights with various colour arrows. More clear and better seen than our ones. Saw them a few decades ago in Miami as well on our trip.

The eastbound lane to the QEW for Dixie Rd close until May 2022 now as traffic been shift to the rebuilt centre lane bridge will the old south bridge is remove to rebuild it. More new retaining wall built for the off ramp to Evens.

Need a 3rd lane on the 401 from end to end as it was a bitch going eastbound on Friday from Quebec to Toronto as well being slow going. Westbound was a lot better until you hit truckers trying to pass someone that you were 10 plus under the speed limit. Then the standard Sunday driver who love driving in the passing lane only.

Traffic a lot worse than before COVID-19 these days in Ontario.

Ontario needs to update its traffic bylaws and change how traffic lights should work as well road speed. More important, drivers being more courtesy. Both cars and 5 ton trucks were weaving in and out of traffic on the 401 and crossing 4 lanes to get to the collectors today. Then, been that way for decades,

Other than Quebec, the east coast province roads have 110 km speed limit and drivers are very courtesy to pedestrians. Very rare I was pass doing 110-120 on the highway

As we waited for an opening in traffic to cross a road in St John that had no crossing point, cars in both direction stop and wave us across the road. This happen a number of times in other cities we visited while I was photographing to the point I wave to the cars to keep on going. Will never see this much in Ontario.

I like the horizontal traffic lights with various colour arrows. More clear and better seen than our ones. Saw them a few decades ago in Miami as well on our trip.

The eastbound lane to the QEW for Dixie Rd close until May 2022 now as traffic been shift to the rebuilt centre lane bridge will the old south bridge is remove to rebuild it. More new retaining wall built for the off ramp to Evens.

Need a 3rd lane on the 401 from end to end as it was a bitch going eastbound on Friday from Quebec to Toronto as well being slow going. Westbound was a lot better until you hit truckers trying to pass someone that you were 10 plus under the speed limit. Then the standard Sunday driver who love driving in the passing lane only.

Traffic a lot worse than before COVID-19 these days in Ontario.

I've always held the position that the reason speeding is such a major problem in this city (and in this province in general), is because our speed limits are set so far below the design speed of the highways and roads. People tend to drive at speeds they're comfortable with, so when you're on a relatively empty highway designed for 140km/h, while the posted speed is only 100, you're naturally going to want to keep increasing your speed to see how far you can get away with, and this has let us to today where unless you're driving 20 over the speed limit, you're doing it wrong. This in turn leads to a lot of dangerous situations as the people that are going 120 interact with people driving at the posted speed limits, which results in people switching lanes more often which helps perpetuate congestion, and can easily lead to more accidents. I went over to Huron County yesterday, and something I noticed there is that all of the longer distance county roads there (specifically County Road 3) are posted at 90km/h, and in general it seems like the speed limits are posted at much higher numbers than elsewhere in the province, and unlike in Toronto, at no point did I ever get the urge to speed or break the limits. If the road is set at 70km/h, that's pretty much the safe speed to drive and going over to 80 or 85 was kind of risky, and it also seemed like everyone else around pretty much followed suit.

I've always held the position that the reason speeding is such a major problem in this city (and in this province in general), is because our speed limits are set so far below the design speed of the highways and roads. People tend to drive at speeds they're comfortable with, so when you're on a relatively empty highway designed for 140km/h, while the posted speed is only 100, you're naturally going to want to keep increasing your speed to see how far you can get away with, and this has let us to today where unless you're driving 20 over the speed limit, you're doing it wrong. This in turn leads to a lot of dangerous situations as the people that are going 120 interact with people driving at the posted speed limits, which results in people switching lanes more often which helps perpetuate congestion, and can easily lead to more accidents. I went over to Huron County yesterday, and something I noticed there is that all of the longer distance county roads there (specifically County Road 3) are posted at 90km/h, and in general it seems like the speed limits are posted at much higher numbers than elsewhere in the province, and unlike in Toronto, at no point did I ever get the urge to speed or break the limits. If the road is set at 70km/h, that's pretty much the safe speed to drive and going over to 80 or 85 was kind of risky, and it also seemed like everyone else around pretty much followed suit.

A few counties in Southwestern Ontario post 90 km/h on their roads, not just Huron. Elgin and Chatham-Kent come to mind. This served to increase the speed limit on some downloaded provincial highways.

A few counties in Southwestern Ontario post 90 km/h on their roads, not just Huron. Elgin and Chatham-Kent come to mind. This served to increase the speed limit on some downloaded provincial highways.
Ah ok, glad to know.

Back