News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Likely announcing construction start for the bridge over Yonge St.

Mr. Here has it correct: (from the gov't presser)

1649167455159.png

Link: https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/...-contract-to-build-bridge-for-bradford-bypass

My guess is that it'll be 419. Highway 19 is the nearest, lowest number local east-west highway in the area that doesn't already share it's number with a 400-series highway.

My guess is that it'll be 419. Highway 19 is the nearest, lowest number local east-west highway in the area that doesn't already share it's number with a 400-series highway.
I'm not sure I follow. King's Highway 19 runs between Ingersoll and Tillsonburg, and York Regional Rd. 19 is a fair bit south of where I understand the by-pass is going to be routed. Besides, although it has been common to number a 400-series upgrade after its 2-lane predecessor, it's not hard and fast; see Hwy 409 and 418.

I'm not sure I follow. King's Highway 19 runs between Ingersoll and Tillsonburg, and York Regional Rd. 19 is a fair bit south of where I understand the by-pass is going to be routed. Besides, although it has been common to number a 400-series upgrade after its 2-lane predecessor, it's not hard and fast; see Hwy 409 and 418.
I get that there's no clear rule to how the 400-series highways are named, but the way I see it, the province generally gravitates towards lower numbers instead of higher ones. The lowest numbers that haven't really been allocated yet are 414 and 419 (408 for Mid-Peninsula Corridor, 411 likely for upgraded HWY 11, 413 for GTA West, and 415 likely for upgraded HWY 115), favouring 419 since there is RR 19 nearby. I would consider either of these two numbers much more likely than a 488/489 designation.

I get that there's no clear rule to how the 400-series highways are named, but the way I see it, the province generally gravitates towards lower numbers instead of higher ones. The lowest numbers that haven't really been allocated yet are 414 and 419 (408 for Mid-Peninsula Corridor, 411 likely for upgraded HWY 11, 413 for GTA West, and 415 likely for upgraded HWY 115), favouring 419 since there is RR 19 nearby. I would consider either of these two numbers much more likely than a 488/489 designation.
Agreed on all counts except 115 to 415. I know it's not likely, but I would think MTO is reserving that for any type of upgrade along the Hwy 15 corridor.

I would imagine they would go with 428, since it somewhat parallels the former Hwy 28 corridor. The existing Provincial Hwy 28 could even be co-signed with Hwy 7 for the brief stretch between the current 115/7 and 28/7 intersections to provide continuity. It's also debatable if 115 is a N-S highway or an E-W highway. I would argue it could be considered as either, depending on where people go after reaching Hwy 7.

Agreed on all counts except 115 to 415. I know it's not likely, but I would think MTO is reserving that for any type of upgrade along the Hwy 15 corridor.

I would imagine they would go with 428, since it somewhat parallels the former Hwy 28 corridor. The existing Provincial Hwy 28 could even be co-signed with Hwy 7 for the brief stretch between the current 115/7 and 28/7 intersections to provide continuity. It's also debatable if 115 is a N-S highway or an E-W highway. I would argue it could be considered as either, depending on where people go after reaching Hwy 7.
I also like 428 as a potential designation, that makes a lot of sense too.

The MTO does maintain 400-series-sized permit control zones along Highway 15 from Kingston to HWY 7, so it's definitely a possibility. Interestingly enough, regarding HWY 115, there is also an MTO permit-controlled alignment (where there is currently no highway) that loops north around Peterborough to just south of Lakefield. There are also 400-series-sized permit control zones along HWY 35 to Lindsay, so there is potential that 115 and 35 could be renumbered if either of these projects were to happen in the future.

I also like 428 as a potential designation, that makes a lot of sense too.

The MTO does maintain 400-series-sized permit control zones along Highway 15 from Kingston to HWY 7, so it's definitely a possibility. Interestingly enough, regarding HWY 115, there is also an MTO permit-controlled alignment (where there is currently no highway) that loops north around Peterborough to just south of Lakefield. There are also 400-series-sized permit control zones along HWY 35 to Lindsay, so there is potential that 115 and 35 could be renumbered if either of these projects were to happen in the future.
Very interesting! I always figured that if the 400-series standard was carried further east, that it would cross Hwy 7 at the current 7/115 intersection, and then veer eastward, running parallel to but north of the existing Hwy 7. I wonder what the rationale is for going around Peterborough on the west and north sides. Maybe just as a ring highway? It could also be used to carry Hwy 7 around the north side of Peterborough, instead of going down, over, and back up.

With regards to numbering, I figured once the 35/115 RIRO was upgraded to 400-series standards, that the whole 115 would be signed as 428, and 35 would just end at their current merge point. I can't think of any locations in Ontario where a King's Highway meets a 400-series highway, and both designations are carried to their junction with another 400-series highway. It would be like if Hwy 27 continued along Hwy 427 to the QEW, instead of ending at their junction point. The only concurrencies I can think of that would come close would be like Hwy 6 at the 401 and 403, but in both cases it continues both north and south of those concurrencies.

The assigned cardinal direction for a highway, or portion of a highway, is whatever the MTO says it is. For example, Hwy 17 is N-S from SSM to White River but E-W just about everywhere else.

The assigned cardinal direction for a highway, or portion of a highway, is whatever the MTO says it is. For example, Hwy 17 is N-S from SSM to White River but E-W just about everywhere else.
Yup, agreed. I'm just saying that by and large Ontario's highway numbering system doesn't follow any sort of discernible pattern (it sort of did at one point, but over time that's gotten lost), so it's really tough to tell what MTO actually intended the highway to be. At least in the US you can generally tell just by looking at a highway's number where it runs N-S or E-W.

The 400-series highways are generally pretty good at having E-W being odd and N-S being even, but then you get oddballs like the 402 and 427.

Yup, agreed. I'm just saying that by and large Ontario's highway numbering system doesn't follow any sort of discernible pattern (it sort of did at one point, but over time that's gotten lost), so it's really tough to tell what MTO actually intended the highway to be. At least in the US you can generally tell just by looking at a highway's number where it runs N-S or E-W.

The 400-series highways are generally pretty good at having E-W being odd and N-S being even, but then you get oddballs like the 402 and 427.
True for the federal Interstate Highway System. I'm not convinced Ontario had any particular system or pattern and, at the state level, or provincial level in other provinces, I'm not sure they have much of a system or pattern either.

Back