News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Will Front Street ever be connected to the Gardiner?

• Yes

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Unsure/Apathetic

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
Not sure what happened to that money in the bank but I would imagine the city will have to fund any new plan on their own.

I believe a chunk went to things like the Union Station second platform work which was far higher than expected (double?).

It should be noted that only the original estimate for the Front Street project was intended to be funded. The revised estimates created after the EA and some engineering were not funded and the federal government was not interested in increasing their funding for that component.

It's also my understanding that the Georgetown rebuild, which is partially federally funded, conflicts directly with the front street extension plans.

I'm pleased to see this thread revived. :)

Once the DRL is built and the GO corridor electrified, and the Queensway Streetcar ROW is connected to the Waterfront by whatever means, I would really love to see a structure like the Waterfront Viaduct constructed over the rail corridor between Strachan and Bathurst. Building an elevated structure such as this would still allow the rail corridor to be decked over and allow Stanley Park to be extended to the Garrison Common.

See a Google Map Here

I believe a chunk went to things like the Union Station second platform work which was far higher than expected (double?).

It should be noted that only the original estimate for the Front Street project was intended to be funded. The revised estimates created after the EA and some engineering were not funded and the federal government was not interested in increasing their funding for that component.

It's also my understanding that the Georgetown rebuild, which is partially federally funded, conflicts directly with the front street extension plans.

Like everything....there are two sides to the discussion. When the Mayor/Premier/Prime Minister of the day announced the projects to be funded as part of the Olympic bid this project had a cost associated with it. It was the position of the feds that the new Mayor was against the project and he and his supporters guided the EA and engineering work to the most expensive options possible with the result being a project that no one felt was worth the money.

I guess we will never know but it is a bit frustrating that after fighting the project that some saw as being a duel solution (ie. giving easier access to the highway in and out of the city and providing an alternative east west route for the residents in the area) that would have been funded by all 3 levels of government.....the area residents are now pressing for a solution that only meets their needs and will fall totally on the municipal bill.

Back