News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Quote: "Damn Central Parkway used to be part of Bloor Street? Imagine that! Hurontario & Bloor!"

That is why you often see/hear references to "Bloor St. E" in Missy. There was once a (stubby) Bloor St. W.

The reason for the Bloor/Central Pkwy. oddity is because a ring road was planned to run around MCC (My uncle designed this!), but only the SE quadrant was built. Maybe Missy should redesign this intersection as well so the traffic flows E-W rather than E-N, and rename the 2 legs of Cen. Pkwy. Bloor and Kennedy respectively.

I was there too. I like the plan with one caveat: the Dundas St. loop going through Westwood should be no more than four lanes not the planned six lanes plus left turn lane. This is far too wide to create an urban environment. I also liked the proposal made by one of the residents that the bike lane should have a physical separtion with vehicle traffic like a lawn strip. Otherwise, I was surprised that the reactions seemed to be evenly divided. Usually at these events, only the complainers speak up (the 80 year old guy is one of the usual suspects). I simply cannot understand the complaints about traffic. Maybe if I was commuting from Mississauga through Toronto, I could understand the concerns. Are the residents of Queen St W., Danforth and Bloor West lobbying for highway interpasses to move traffic along? Of course not. What Coun. Milczyn said was interesting: the city's land in the west district is valued at about $100 million, the sale of some of which will suffice to pay the estimated $35 million cost. I say, let's get on with this.

I like this
A resident from Kipling and Bloor, and member of the ratepayers assoc. was concerned that a big planned community here might end up a disaster like Jamestown or Jane and Finch.
Er...yeah. Get with the program. These days, NIMBYs are better off sounding the alarm about insular high-rise schlock-condotopia (cf. the Motel Strip...or even local cases like the Essex). The Jamestown & Jane-Finch spectres are not only sooo yesteryear, but borderline racist as well. (Besides, if they're so concerned about incipient Jamestown/Jane-Finch-itis in the neighbourhood, then implode those grubby 70s rental tower blocks on Mabelle...)

Thanks for posting JoeyC - looks like the awful cinderblock police station will be in the way of a street. Adios!

borgos:

I like the plan with one caveat: the Dundas St. loop going through Westwood should be no more than four lanes not the planned six lanes plus left turn lane. This is far too wide to create an urban environment.

Completely agree with that assessment. The proposed intersections for Bloor and Dundas with Kipling looks way too wide. The rationale for such a treatment for Bloor is particularly puzzling, since the roadway is 2 lanes each way at both ends. I don't see how having wide roadway segments with clear bottlenecks everywhere will help to ease traffic at all.

As it is proposed now, this treatment will not improve the area much, other than make it fit for some Absolute like projects in the area.

AoD

imageshack.us]
6pts8pc.png
img156.imageshack.us/img1...c.png[/IMG[/url]][/url]
Arrrgh! The plan was modified so that Dundas no longer runs continuous and traffic has make a turn to stay on Dundas. the original plan showed Dundas with through movement all the way through the loop. Why did they change that? It sucks.

Why didn't the picture STILL not show up? I shrank it to below the 1MB file size limit.

Transportfan:

The hosting service probably doesn't allow you to just post it. In any event, given how large the pic is, it is probably not good form to drain someone's bandwidth anyways.

AoD

I agree, Transportfan.

You shouldn't have to turn to STAY on Dundas. I don't like how Dundas suddenly turns into Bloor Street now. Bloor and Kipling should be continuous, as they are in this plan, and I like how they form a traditional intersection. However, if Dundas is going to loop, it should be continuous.

Wouldn't a large round-about be a simple and less expensive solution?

I liked the Dundas Loop as originally planned, not this new idea where you have to turn left onto Dunbloor to stay on Dundas. Turning to stay on Dundas makes no sense.

I strongly encourage you to provide your comments to the planners. Follow the above link, the e-mail address is at the bottom.

Regarding the issue of having to turn left on Dundas to proceed south, I think the reason is that there are a number of properties which will continue to line the stump of old Dundas just east of Kipling. You will have to have traffic lights to access those properties. I assume that they will be timed so that they will mostly be on left turn signal so that in effect, it will operate as a continuous roadway.

I think they could reconfigure the intersection of Dunbloor, Dundas, and the Dundas stump so that the stump was the base of the "T" rather than Dunbloor by doing expropriation of the parking lot southeast of the intersection. The alignment of Dunbloor following its current ROW exactly suggests that the layout had "do not expropriate anything north of Bloor" as a criteria and that the change in design from the initial loop was to separate the intersections and allow greater space for turn lanes.

Back