8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

buildings

Member Bio
Reaction score
Made the mistake of going down 111st from 63ave to 23ave. very frustrating stretch; the traffic light sequences are very long and then add LRT in the mix and it makes for very slow going. What are some other stretches of road you tend to avoid if possible?

I was in Vancouver a month ago, and it was horrible on the weekend let alone rush hour. I'd take Edmonton's worst over Vancouver's average anyday. We are paying for our excess road capacity either with taxes or poor roads though.

Made the mistake of going down 111st from 63ave to 23ave. very frustrating stretch; the traffic light sequences are very long and then add LRT in the mix and it makes for very slow going. What are some other stretches of road you tend to avoid if possible?
The ones that say “Road Closed.”

If bringing visitors into the downtown from the south, avoid the low level bridge and the road that goes up to the Hotel Mac. I was shocked to see and feel the condition of both. They don't put the best face forward.

If bringing visitors into the downtown from the south, I try to avoid the hairpin turn from Sask Drive to Queen Elizabeth Park Road. I'd love to show the iconic Walterdale Bridge to them if it wasn't for that hairpin.

I also try to avoid the signaled traffic circle at Groat Road and 118 Ave - whoever came up with that idea should be shot. Only reason for using that intersection is stop at the Sherbrooke Liquor store.

Believe it or not, I vaguely remember the transportation guy’s name, John Schnabeglar or some such last name spelled something like that. It was back in the 70s. He was responsible for a number of questionable road network decisions back in the day, which I now can’t recall.

If bringing visitors into the downtown from the south, avoid the low level bridge and the road that goes up to the Hotel Mac. I was shocked to see and feel the condition of both. They don't put the best face forward.
If you have to take this road and it's available, the middle lane is in way better condition than the outside lanes!

Whitemud turning into 628 toward HWY 60. It's an absolute embarrassment of a wagon trail

I also try to avoid the signaled traffic circle at Groat Road and 118 Ave - whoever came up with that idea should be shot. Only reason for using that intersection is stop at the Sherbrooke Liquor store.
I avoid that like the plage.

I've got nothing in particular against the hairpin, though. Surprisingly enough, that thing flows relatively well, even during rush hour.

Back