News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I find that Don Mills is a more than suitable alternative to the DVP, but that is a special case, and not necessarily during peak hours. Off peak when the DVP has backed up from north of the 404, I usually find it faster to simply exit at Sheppard or Finch and take Don Mills all the way down to where it connects to the DVP again.

I find that Don Mills is a more than suitable alternative to the DVP, but that is a special case, and not necessarily during peak hours. Off peak when the DVP has backed up from north of the 404, I usually find it faster to simply exit at Sheppard or Finch and take Don Mills all the way down to where it connects to the DVP again.

This will be my route when the tolls on the DVP get implemented :cool:

I heard about an interesting study by TomTom this morning on the radio. They
[*]T one finding that really piqued my curiosity was that avoiding highways and using secondary roads or shortcuts actually adds more time to your trip.
That's not my experience at all. I drive from Cabbagetown to Markham Road and 14th Ave. every workday. My usual route was DVP to 401 east up McCowan to Middlefield, all the way to 14th Ave.

Now that the Gardiner is wrecked, the morning northbound DVP is jammed at Don Mills. So, I skip it, and take Dundas to Kingston Rd, and then up Birchmount to Danforth, which becomes McCowan, and then up to 14th Ave. This detour can save me sometimes 30 mins, and at least 15 mins I estimate each day.

The way home is still fine, McCowan to 401, down DVP, no prob once past Winford...

I heard about an interesting study by TomTom this morning on the radio. They analyzed traffic congestion in terms of increase in delay as compared to off-peak hours. The worst congested cities in Canada were ranked as follows:

• Vancouver – 35 per cent; 87-hour delay per year
  • Toronto – 27 per cent; 83-hour delay per year
  • Ottawa – 26 per cent; 81-hour delay per year
  • Montreal – 26 per cent; 78-hour delay per year
  • Calgary – 22 per cent; 71-hour delay per year
  • Quebec – 22 per cent; 81-hour delay per year
  • Edmonton – 20 per cent; 57-hour delay per year

Link: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/vancou...dlock-in-canada-traffic-study-finds-1.1850311

The one finding that really piqued my curiosity was that avoiding highways and using secondary roads or shortcuts actually adds more time to your trip. In heavy traffic jams, I've experimented with either (1) staying on the slowly moving highway or (2) hopping off the next exit and taking local roads. I've always found that primarily due to traffic lights, the local roads really didn't seem to be faster than driving slowly on the highway. Interesting that the TomTom study now quantifies this as true.

Woo hoo, we're not the worst in Canada!

I had to drive Mississauga to Toronto (near Yonge & 401) at 4:00pm. Google maps told me it would take an hour either on the 401 or on normal roads like Eglinton due to traffic on the highway. I decided to just take the normal streets since it would be more scenic or interesting (comparatively). I think I find driving on normal streets less soul-crushing than being in a sea of traffic on the 401 in general.

Woo hoo, we're not the worst in Canada!

I had to drive Mississauga to Toronto (near Yonge & 401) at 4:00pm. Google maps told me it would take an hour either on the 401 or on normal roads like Eglinton due to traffic on the highway. I decided to just take the normal streets since it would be more scenic or interesting (comparatively). I think I find driving on normal streets less soul-crushing than being in a sea of traffic on the 401 in general.

That's just the thing isn't it; being trapped in 16 lanes solid of automobiles isn't the most pleasant way to start your day.

I think the value of taking side streets and alternate routes is quite variable based both on the route and on factors harder to quantify. If I'm driving from Brock Road to Brock Street, as I often do, taking Bayly over the 401 at rush hour can take roughly the same time, but crawling on the 401 beats out the traffic lights on Bayly, if only marginally. And when there's not much to look at along most of the way, that difference is pretty null. But to get from Pickering to North York, a meandering morning back-route of Finch/Beare/Plug Hat/Meadowvale/Sheppard can save me a mess of trying to get through the Port Union / Kingston area and also keep me feeling less stressed thanks to beautiful Rouge Park scenery.

So yeah, your mileage may vary, no pun intended.

Now that the Gardiner is wrecked, the morning northbound DVP is jammed at Don Mills.

I think most of the time, detouring from your usual direct route will add more time to your commute but in certain cases, like construction work on the Gardiner redirecting the flow of traffic, it's an exception. Just curious if there wasn't Gardiner construction, would the Kingston Rd-Danforth-McCowan route still be faster?

But to get from Pickering to North York, a meandering morning back-route of Finch/Beare/Plug Hat/Meadowvale/Sheppard can save me a mess of trying to get through the Port Union / Kingston area and also keep me feeling less stressed thanks to beautiful Rouge Park scenery.

That is definitely a great route out of western Pickering and into eastern Scarborough. I've done the Finch-Beare-Plug Hat-Old Finch morning drive many times and it's a very relaxing drive...until you hit the Morningside railroad crossing. :eek:

That's just the thing isn't it; being trapped in 16 lanes solid of automobiles isn't the most pleasant way to start your day.

I think the reason I've had a positive experience overall driving in the city is that I can fortunately avoid that situation :)

While being on the 401 in traffic is a nightmare, there are also many beautiful driving experiences in the city, many are fun to drive and/or scenic. Like driving the gardiner through the forest of skyscrapers downtown for example (at a time of day with no traffic).

Generally I find driving on weekends or after 6pm on weekdays is a good experience.

While being on the 401 in traffic is a nightmare, there are also many beautiful driving experiences in the city, many are fun to drive and/or scenic.
My favourite driving, or riding is outside of the city. Here's my approx route from last weekend's three day run on the motorcycle http://tinyurl.com/nl7z6of Hardly a traffic light to be seen, and zero traffic once north of the 407. I'm on auto pilot when commuting in the car, but truly alive on the bike when in the twisties on the open road.

My favourite driving, or riding is outside of the city. Here's my approx route from last weekend's three day run on the motorcycle http://tinyurl.com/nl7z6of Hardly a traffic light to be seen, and zero traffic once north of the 407. I'm on auto pilot when commuting in the car, but truly alive on the bike when in the twisties on the open road.

Oh nice. Yeah such beautiful scenery and fun winding hilly roads in cottage country.

Oh nice. Yeah such beautiful scenery and fun winding hilly roads in cottage country.
It was a great trip. Here's my bike at the cabin. My trusty 1960s Triumph 500 took me over 1,300 kms without issue.

WP_20140530_16_59_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20140530_17_00_30_Pro.jpg

Do you remember when you first got your driver's license? The excitement and feeling of go-anywhere independence? Then we got older, and stuck in traffic, behind traffic lights where a roundabout would do fine, buried in frustration. Well, get out of the city, ride (or drive, rent a convertible!) into cottage country and beyond and return to that first feeling of driving excitement. It's traffic that kills our souls.

Attachments

• WP_20140530_16_59_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140530_16_59_48_Pro.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 399
  • WP_20140530_17_00_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140530_17_00_30_Pro.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

Back