News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Currently a solid green arrow indicates priority - left turn signal as an example.
What is required in your situation would be a flashing yellow right arrow (although not in MTO's handbook) - proceed with caution when clear.
Yes, your solution sounds clearer.

I think that is something like the 'Michigan left'' signal (although I don't know how it applies to pedestrians). A green arrow means an unobstructed/priority let turn; a flashing yellow arrow means oncoming traffic. A solid arrow is the transition to red.

We need to keep in mind that the Ontario Traffic Council might write the handbooks, but any change in legislation/regulations regarding traffic light operation, colour, aspect, etc. needs to come from government.

They’re known as FYA phases – a Michigan Left is of course something much different.

I noticed over the last year they extended the red light after the advanced green, I'm guessing this was to reduce the chance of cars going forward while someone is turning left?

There's like a 5+ second gap added between light changes, and I've just noticed more cars turning illegally with the added time...

Reactions: PL1
I noticed over the last year they extended the red light after the advanced green, I'm guessing this was to reduce the chance of cars going forward while someone is turning left?

There's like a 5+ second gap added between light changes, and I've just noticed more cars turning illegally with the added time...
I feel like any time they extend the yellow or red phase this happens.

What does everyone think the most important thing to add for signals is? European style transit signals for LRTs?
1. European-style two-dimensional red clearance time calculations (this is an Ontario Traffic Manual issue, there's no conflict with the HTA)

2. Flexible phase control structures to eliminate irrelevant restrictions on phase combinations (this is actually not a regulatory issue, just an electrical compatibility issue between EU controllers and NA cabinets)

3. Lane-based signal alignment (currently impractical due to OTM's 5.0m minimum lateral separation)
Capture.JPG

4. More signal indications (diagonal white bar for transit turns; red arrows for left/right turn signals; flashing yellow arrow for permissive turns in one direction - this is an HTA reg. 626 issue)

5. Near-side only signals (this is an HTA reg.626 issue). Most other places in North America already permit near-side only signals, it's just Ontario who insists that the primary signal heads need to be more than halfway through the intersection.

Last edited:
I like the idea of near-side signals being legalized. They can be used here, but only as supplements to far-side signals. I think near-side signals lead to much better driver behaviour... less overshooting of the stop line and encroaching on the crosswalk.
1724865740200.png

Supplementary near side signals do exist in some capacity in Ontario already. For some reason when they rebuilt Highway 7 some intersections got one singular near-side signal. I see them mostly in Ontaio for intersections that might have poor light visibility (ei: trucks, sharp turns), but they are certainly rare and definitly not meant to be the primary signals.

Back