News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Pride is 10 days long. Rob is away for 3 days at the cottage. That's 7 days he has to pop into a Pride event for half an hour and leave in order to save face and not look like he doesn't care about the community. But he couldn't even walk out to the flag pole at city hall from his office when they raised the flag in the annual ceremony. He's DELIBERATELY shunning pride. Part of the job of being mayor is attending the cities biggest festivals. Pride week brings millions into the city. I'm atheist, but if i was mayor, i would have no problems attending grand openings of churches, temples, mosques, or any other" holy" building where people go to communicate with the invisible man in the sky. Its all part of the job being mayor!!

Pride is 10 days long. Rob is away for 3 days at the cottage. That's 7 days he has to pop into a Pride event for half an hour and leave in order to save face and not look like he doesn't care about the community. But he couldn't even walk out to the flag pole at city hall from his office when they raised the flag in the annual ceremony. He's DELIBERATELY shunning pride. Part of the job of being mayor is attending the cities biggest festivals. Pride week brings millions into the city. I'm atheist, but if i was mayor, i would have no problems attending grand openings of churches, temples, mosques, or any other" holy" building where people go to communicate with the invisible man in the sky. Its all part of the job being mayor!!

Exactly! Being a mayor is more than helping individual citizens by solving problems that they have; among other things it involves City-wide planning, strategic thinking, coalition building and 'public relations". Nobody expects any Mayor to attend every Pride (or Grey Cup or Luminato) event but to attend none is simply rude and, posssibly, a sign of prejudice. If Mr Ford had attended just one Pride event last year this would not be an issue today, for him or for the City. Talk about turning a molehill into a mountain!

You are being ridiculous here.
And yet you are the one condoning hatred.

How does Ford not going to the gay parade a bigotry?
I repeat, I have not discussed the parade. I've been talking about the flag-raising outside Ford's own office, which he deliberately skipped out on. That is a demonstration of Ford's bigory.

If Ford has no interest in the gay community, or doesn't want to have anything to do with gay people, that's his right.
If Ford doesn't want to have anything to do with gay people, then he is a bigot, and should be removed from office.

... he didn't do anything to harm the gay community.
Why would you say something so offensive?

I disagree. The mayor has the right to go on a vacation with his family on a summer weekend. I have nothing against the LBGT community, but they already have every right a normal citizen possess including marriage, and I don't think it is the mayor's obligation to spend personal time on a parade of a particular community.

The gay parade is just one of the many cultural events in Toronto. We should not hold the mayor responsible for attending it every year even though he is not personally interested. Last year the same discussion happened too on major newspapers as if it is a big deal. Think about it, the gay community is well protected by our law and policies already, what's the big deal the mayor doesn't want to go?

oh, for F*ng sake, get it through your thick skull. it IS THE ROLE of the mayor:

http://www.toronto.ca/civic-engagement/learning-material/governance.htm#mayor

The role of the Mayor as chief executive officer is to:

• uphold and promote the purposes of the City
  • promote public involvement in the City's activities
    [*]act as the representative of the City both within and outside the City, and promote the City locally, nationally and internationally; and
    [*]participate in and foster activities that enhance the economic, social and environmental well being of the City and its residents

unless your head is buried in sand, and judging by some of your comments, it appears so. pride, like caribbana, are some of the biggest contributors economically to the city. it brings in over $100 million annually during the event ... $136 million in 2011.

he may not want to go to the parade, which is fine, but to not do the official reading of the proclamation himself when his office is 100m from the event and he`s readily available, is quite telling.

i`m sure if RF told Brian Burke he would have to reschedule that day, Brian Burke would have met RF at City Hall for the proclamation.

This entire thread is baiting, IMO, and did not need to be started any more than a thread with a title like, "Why are fat people lazy?", "How can we reverse immigration?", and "Ugly people and Satan: is there a connection?".

Disagree. The premise of the original poster was highly questionable, implying that there's no problem with the homophobic bigot running away. It could just have easily been posted in the regular Ford thread.
The OP was talking about the parade. not the whole week of events.

I can't make up my mind if this thread is comic genius or just sad.

But then again that seems to be the hidden charm Ford has. Ford transcends left-right political discussions. He's more like our moronic abusive boyfriend. There's absolutely no reason to stay but there's just something irresistable about seeing how he will react. We want to believe that there is something good, something rational, a shred of decency, a kernel of maturity in there somewhere. But alas, as exciting as they can be, all these relationships end badly. And in the end all we end up with is embarassment and wasted years.

Tricky Ricky:

Given some of the allegations around him, the whole "moronic abusive boyfriend" analogy might be a bit too close to home.

AoD

He should, at least, walk out into the square, raise the Pride flag, and walk back into his office. 10 minutes at the most.

Maybe if there was a KFC next to the flagpole, he might walk past it.

I stand corrected. Warmington's commenting on the video. Still, I think the Star should have left it be.

Back