News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Look at any major transportation initiative...I ultimately support closing the Gardiner, building bike lanes on Jarvis, and adding more 4 way pedestrian crossings. But until the grade separated transit system is improved (and our city and province are sadly inept at this) it's foolish to implement these projects.

I joined the conversation a bit late, but based on what I'm reading it seems some people are disagreeing with what you're saying? Hmm... Odd, because it appears that you're making sense.

The idea should not be to keep expanding car infrastructure to accommodate more cars, because the cycle will never end. The idea should be to give people an alternative that isn't as selfish as an automobile. Don't get me wrong, I drive to and from work every day. But given the chance (right now it would take at least 3x the amount of time and would cost $12.50 cash for a roundtrip), I would drop the car and use transit no doubt. Until then though, I'm stuck with the car.

I'm not anti-car either. I still think that for the foreseeable future transit should be the primary means of transport for commuting, while the car can be used for other purposes like going to a relatives house or to a restaurant with the family, because in those situations you have a number of people with you, as opposed to most people on a commute who are alone in their car.

Chuck has become the whipping boy of this thread. His statements had been unfairly taken out of context by several people.

Chuck is the bane of my existance. Because of Chuck there is no funding for Transit City, I'm thirsty, Defying Gravity was cancelled half way into its first season, and now there is no chance we will ever get rid of federal taxes. Way to go Chuck.

R
ob Ford has lived in Etobicoke for most of his life. A 1950's suburban lifestyle, 3 cars in the driveway, drive to work and shops, barbeque in your 40' x 100' yard on the weekends, is all he knows. Unfortunately, it's also all he wants for the rest of us as well. Mayor Ford = end war on cars, build CAA's dream GTA expressways system, replace streetcars with buses, privatize transit and limit vertical growth to 3 storeys, everywhere. Most of all he is about not spending money. I'll be moving if he wins.

Sums it up basically! He would be a complete disaster. As would Rossi. The real question is, how to we leverage pro transit candidates into office if these two have the suburban homeowner locked down? I'd say by mobilising tenants. I don't have any concrete stats but I would assume a higher proportion of them walk or use transit. The problem is, voting by tenants is low at all levels of government.

Rob Ford has lived in Etobicoke for most of his life. A 1950's suburban lifestyle, 3 cars in the driveway, drive to work and shops, barbeque in your 40' x 100' yard on the weekends, is all he knows. Unfortunately, it's also all he wants for the rest of us as well. Mayor Ford = end war on cars, build CAA's dream GTA expressways system, replace streetcars with buses, privatize transit and limit vertical growth to 3 storeys, everywhere. Most of all he is about not spending money. I'll be moving if he wins.

Sums it up basically! He would be a complete disaster. As would Rossi. The real question is, how to we leverage pro transit candidates into office if these two have the suburban homeowner locked down? I'd say by mobilising tenants. I don't have any concrete stats but I would assume a higher proportion of them walk or use transit. The problem is, voting by tenants is low at all levels of government.

So all the left-wing has to do to eliminate the Ford and Rossi vote is to make sure there is no parking available at polling stations! :)

His view seems a little too radical/rouge but there are things we can do to help reduce traffic congestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
He could use some rouge on those cheeks, that's for sure.

I actually thought Ford's response to the bike lanes was more measured and intelligent than Rossi's. He almost sounds sensible.

Are you in favour of bike lanes on major city roads, such as Jarvis St. and University Ave.?
Giorgio Mammoliti: No.
Joe Pantalone: Yes on Jarvis and yes on University, if the pilot project is successful.
Rocco Rossi: No. No more new lanes on major arterial roads.
George Smitherman: The answer to this question isn't black and white. I'm in favour of no new lanes until an integrated, city-wide transportation plan is drafted.
Sarah Thomson: This is not a yes or no answer.
Rob Ford: No.

If no, would you remove the lanes if you are elected?
Mammoliti: Yes. I can promise you this: When I'm the mayor of the City of Toronto, if they succeed with these bike lanes, I will take them down – and that will be the first thing that I do.
Rossi: Yes, I would remove these new lanes.
Smitherman: No.
Ford: No. It would be a waste of money to remove it if it's already there; that is, unless there was a huge public outcry in the area.

What is your general philosophy regarding bike lanes?
Mammoliti: The war on the car must end now! There absolutely needs to be a pro-bike agenda in this city, but we can't be turning everything upside-down to accommodate a very small percentage of the population. We need to be realistic and realize that bikes will never take over the car, not without proper transit. It just won't cut it in this city.
Pantalone: I strongly believe that cycling is an essential part of Toronto's transportation solution. Cycling is healthy for individuals. Cycling is environmentally friendly. Cycling moves people around the city.
Rossi: I have been clear on this from the beginning. Bike lanes don't belong on major arterials where there are quieter, nearby parallel roads like Sherbourne (instead of Jarvis) and Beverley/St. George (instead of University). Bike lanes that eliminate car lanes on major city roads will cause further gridlock.
Smitherman: Toronto needs an integrated transportation plan that doesn't pit one form of transportation against another. I've said clearly with respect to bike lanes that I see a place for them, but for now, I think we need a timeout on new ones. If the city has financial resources to dedicate this year to bike lanes, let's improve the quality and safety of the ones we have.
Thomson: I am in favour of bike lanes done properly using a connected grid system across Toronto. On streets where emergency vehicles abound they need to be separated physically ... Jarvis St. is another example of political agenda, not common sense. We already have a bike lane on Sherbourne. If this were planned out properly we would have another north-south route on a street two or three west. Not right beside Sherbourne.
Ford: I don't live downtown, but if I did, I'd probably own a bike. It would be more economical. I generally support bike lanes, but it's really up to the individual community.

Source: http://www.thestar.com/yourcitymycity/article/795543--bike-lanes-divide-mayoral-candidates?bn=1

At least Ford is up front about his ideas. Rossi's a shameless huckster saying whatever he can to get votes.

2010 Rob Ford re: bikes:

"I don't live downtown, but if I did, I'd probably own a bike. It would be more economical. I generally support bike lanes, but it's really up to the individual community."

2007 Rob Ford re: bikes:

"I can't support bike lanes. Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks. My heart bleeds when someone gets killed, but it's their own fault at the end of the day."

Somehow I question his honesty in his current answer.

So all the left-wing has to do to eliminate the Ford and Rossi vote is to make sure there is no parking available at polling stations! :)

Basic Game Theory would suggest a candidate polar opposite to Ford or Rossi would have a better chance if both remained than if one were forced out.

Cities around the world do not agree with Rob Ford. Here's a video on streetcars from Cincinnati:

[video=vimeo;6727365]http://vimeo.com/6727365[/video]

Back