News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

As much as I dislike Ford and his lack of vision I don't think it's such a bad idea to bring in a Ford-like platform every few terms to keep City Hall honest and on its toes, assuming of course that Ford sets out in earnest to do what he says he'll do. I'm not really too concerned about silly proposals to do away with streetcars etc., lets face it there would be riots in the streets. And yes, the arts community might have to be extra 'creative' to secure funding and there will probably be lots of cuts I don't agree with.... but most of us understand that waste, corruption, apathy and questionable spending are bound to set in after a while if the public doesn't send a deliberate and direct message, from time to time, that no political party, platform or ideology is to be taken for granted. Toronto's steadfast and relentless support of the liberals hasn't done anything good for this city and is a cautionary tale of what blind political support gets you. For this reason Smitherman for me is the wrong choice. His pedigree is so firmly rooted in the very establishment that needs to be shaken up... and for all of those who fear a loss of vision for four years lets not forget that the 'establishment' hasn't exactly shown much of it over the past decade either. As with a lousy scrabble hand I think it is time that people hold their noses and shake it up, for the greater good.

As much as I dislike Ford and his lack of vision I don't think it's such a bad idea to bring in a Ford-like platform every few terms to keep City Hall honest and on its toes, assuming of course that Ford sets out in earnest to do what he says he'll do. I'm not really too concerned about silly proposals to do away with streetcars etc., lets face it there would be riots in the streets. And yes, the arts community might have to be extra 'creative' to secure funding and there will probably be lots of cuts I don't agree with.... but most of us understand that waste, corruption, apathy and questionable spending are bound to set in after a while if the public doesn't send a deliberate and direct message, from time to time, that no political party, platform or ideology is to be taken for granted. Toronto's steadfast and relentless support of the liberals hasn't done anything good for this city and is a cautionary tale of what blind political support gets you. For this reason Smitherman for me is the wrong choice. His pedigree is so firmly rooted in the very establishment that needs to be shaken up... and for all of those who fear a loss of vision for four years lets not forget that the 'establishment' hasn't exactly shown much of it over the past decade either. As with a lousy scrabble hand I think it is time that people hold their noses and shake it up, for the greater good.

Great post, appreciated - I fall into the same boat ... but at the same rate I feel smitherman may have a chance to accomplish part of this - while still having a little bit of long term vision.

But overall, if Ford does win, for the reasons you cite, I don't think it'll be the end of the world and we may came out a more financially sound city.

Back