News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

js97

Member Bio
Reaction score
What a character!

I heard today that he called in the CRA to audit council's expensese. I.E. the free passes they have been receiving/parking/ttc/ certain expenses.. It's all becoming a taxable benefit (previously tax free)

The CRA has decided to assess this back to 2006!!!

Metro pass alone will cost the guys around 1800 in taxes LOL!

Someone must have a clip or article of this?!

LMAO!

What a character!

I heard today that he called in the CRA to audit council's expensese. I.E. the free passes they have been receiving/parking/ttc/ certain expenses.. It's all becoming a taxable benefit (previously tax free)

The CRA has decided to assess this back to 2006!!!

Metro pass alone will cost the guys around 1800 in taxes LOL!

Someone must have a clip or article of this?!

LMAO!

RE Parking: It's not just for council - all City employees are in the process of having this deemed a taxable benefit by the CRA.

Despite the fact that there's been a standard by the CRA that 'scramble parking' (where there aren't defined spaces, but only first-come, first-serve parking) isn't deemed to be a taxable benefit. I think council's got defined spaces, but all the other employees are on a scramble parking basis. Chaos.

I'm surprised these aren't already considered taxable benefits by the CRA, for any free passes with any sort of attachable dollar value.

P.S. I don't really think there should be much of a difference for tax purposes for defined parking spaces vs. scramble parking spaces. At my workplace, both are paid spots, but the defined spaces just cost more, and are reserved for management or those in greater need.

While I have no use for right-wing-nutjobs, I love it when a $hit-disturber like Ford stirs up the gentry's nest with stunts like that.

Agreed. Ford sometimes indeed is a nut job, but stuff like this amuses me.

BTW, I just did some googling on this, and came up with this site. It does seem that reserved parking is usually a taxable benefit, but marathe's comment about scramble parking is appropriate. CRA has not usually considered scramble parking with mixed employee/non-employee parking a taxable benefit. So, given those guidelines, the city employees with scramble parking would be justified in being confused about the situation and could reasonably fight it.

That actually surprises me, since it's in many circumstances fairly easy to assign a cost to scramble parking, and that cost is the price of paid scramble parking.

Back