News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't rip his shirt off - thankfully

ku-medium.gif

Adult males living with their parents is an Italian thing.
"A recent study conducted by the European Union on the living habits of young adults in 25 countries revealed that a whopping 64% of Italians between the ages of 18 and 35 years still live at home with their parents." http://voices.yahoo.com/in-italy-living-home-well-into-30s-perfectly-52419.htmlhttp://voices.yahoo.com/in-italy-living-home-well-into-30s-perfectly-52419.html
But maybe in the case of Ford's friends they were ordered to live under parental supervision by the courts?

Ford's friends are well outside that age range. But while we're discussing words, I can't believe the word "whopping" made it past editorial review. Some stringer out there is probably still snickering.

This is an 'old news' item re Doug Ford, but I do not recall seeing a link to it posted here before. It speaks to a theme in the up-coming OPC hearings - namely, the use of anonymous (to the public) sources.

Anyway, for what it may be worth........

http://beaconnews.ca/blog/2013/05/doug-ford-drug-allegations-story-holds-up-under-scrutiny/

i think the following article goes well with the one above...

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/08/23/chris-selley-who-watches-the-writers/

the following goes well with the link above...

Ford’s call for Etobicoke byelection betrays his heritage

http://thestar.blogs.com/thefixer/2...tobicoke-byelection-betrays-his-heritage.html

at the end it says...

He’s shooting an angle, as they say at the poker table.

i don't know much about poker, so i looked it up...

Angle-Shooting - Using unfair tactics.

Usage: A poker player who uses various underhanded, unfair methods to take advantage of inexperienced opponents. The difference between an angle shooter and a cheat is only a matter of degree. What a cheat or thief does is patently against the rules; what an angle shooter does may be marginally legal, but it's neither ethical nor gentlemanly. Nor is it in the spirit of the game.

http://www.pokernews.com/pokerterms/angle-shooting.html

interesting take.

Last edited:
i think ford's comeback here says a lot...

Oh give me a break, it's a PR stunt and they're having fun. Him saying "I own this town!" in the midst of an arm wrestling match doesn't mean anything other than the fact that he was playing along with Hulk's trash talking and commentary. Even Ford deserves to be given THAT much. In fact I'm pretty sure he only said it because it's cliched and he couldn't come up with anything better.

i never followed rob before he was mayor, and only a little before the crack scandal, so i only just recently learned of this news that came out last year...

Mayor Rob Ford testified for student accused in armed robbery

In 2007, the then-city councillor was a character witness for a former Don Bosco High School football player who robbed a taxi driver with a sawed-off shotgun.

[...]

When Mr. Ford walked into the courtroom to take the stand, Crown Attorney Brian Moreira was shocked. It remains the only time the lawyer has seen a public figure back a convicted felon in almost a decade of practice.

“It’s rare,†said Mr. Moreira. “[Mr. Ford] was a pretty high profile guy even back then.â€

In his testimony, Mr. Ford detailed his requests to keep the truant teen from being kicked out of school, though the principal refused.

“I sort of have a soft spot in my heart for him,†Mr. Ford said at the hearing, according to court transcripts quoted by The Lawyers Weekly.

In Mr. Moreira’s cross-examination of the character witness, he said it became evident that Mr. Ford’s knowledge of the teen did not extend beyond the football field.

“I made suggestions to him that the leader on the football field may not be a leader in reality,†Mr. Moreira said in an interview Monday. “[Mr. Ford] essentially admitted that he didn’t know much about the kid outside of football.â€

In his ruling, Justice Paul Robertson outlined the defendant’s list of prior convictions, his childhood with an abusive father and noted the teen’s “commitment to football stands out in stark contrast to just about everything else in his record.â€

Judge Robertson sentenced the 18-year-old to five years in prison.

The Mayor’s office declined to comment.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...stified-for-student-accused-in-armed-robbery/

Ford tried to help convicted former football player - Rob Ford called as character witness in 2007

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tried to help an 18-year-old man he knew who had been found guilty of armed robbery.

[...]

But under cross-examination Morreira said Ford admitted he knew little about the man beyond football.

"The thrust of my cross examination was that Rob Ford said 'This is a good kid and was leader.' But then when I showed him all of the bad things that he had done he conceded he didn't really know this kid that well," the attorney said.

The man was found guilty and sentenced to five years in prison.

The mayor's office said it will not comment on the report.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/06/20/toronto-ford-lawyers-weekly.html

this is the lawyers weekly article...

Troubled teen found unlikely support: Rob Ford - Politician was character witness for armed robber in Toronto case

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has long been known as pro-police and a politician supporting the “tough on crime†approach to dealing with law-breakers.

Yet, not so long ago, the then-city councillor Ford was the only person willing to come to court and testify in support of a teenager who along with an accomplice, used a sawed-off shotgun to rob a Toronto taxi driver.

Frequently, those convicted of gun crimes in Toronto have little community or family support in court by the time they are about to be sentenced. Character witnesses are rare and it is virtually unheard of for an elected politician to ask a judge for leniency for someone guilty of a serious offence.

Ford, who had coached B.Y. (The Lawyers Weekly is identifying him by his initials) in high school football, knew him as a “respectful†player and model teammate — not as the person convicted of an armed robbery committed while out on bail.

[...]

The court heard that, while the accused had not missed a football practice in three years, he was expelled from high school for failing to attend classes. Ford also took steps to assist the young man at this time. “I talked to the vice-principal and then I talked to the principal and they did not want him to just come and waste time…[to] just go to school to play football,†said Ford, “And I said: ‘Well that is what keeps the kids in school sometimes…’ â€

Upon questioning by the judge, Ford agreed that he knew little about B.Y. beyond his skills on the gridiron.

In the end, the character evidence did not appear to sway the judge, who imposed the five-year sentence requested by the Crown, as well as a lifetime weapons prohibition.

The defence lawyer in the case was unavailable for comment. The Mayor’s office did not respond to requests for comment from The Lawyers Weekly.

http://www.lawyersweekly.ca/index.php?section=article&articleid=1689

just wonder what people on here think or know of this. has it been discussed on here before?

Last edited:
i never followed rob before he was mayor, and only a little before the crack scandal, so i only just recently learned of this news that came out last year...

Have you not taken ANYTHING from all of the advice you've been given, and all the complaints people have made?

This isn't your personal scrapbook. It's fine if you want to post links to things, but it's completely and utterly unnecessary to post so much. People who are interested will follow the links, and the rest of us don't have to scroll through all of this crap. As another poster said, those of us browsing on smartphones have a hell of a hard time getting past all of it (and seeing where it ends amongst other news posts).

Yes, please stop making multiple posts with old news and lengthy quotes lifted from easily-accessible sources, with limited or no original thoughts and/or content.

Yes, please stop making multiple posts with old news and lengthy quotes lifted from easily-accessible sources, with limited or no original thoughts and/or content.

personally i prefer when someone highlights relevant info, so i can then decide whether on not i want to click the link.

why does it have to be in my own words, when i highlight what can be learned from articles?

if i had posted each article separately, i would have been bugged for making too many short post... or for not tying the same thought together.

when i present it all together, it's too long.

the parts i highlight across articles talk about different points or corroborate each other.

why can't i present what i would like others to consider by quoting an article?

i honestly would love to hear what people on here think of the information i presented.

i have tried to incorporate some of the suggestions or desires people had for when i post. why do i have to completely 'conform' here? isn't this a forum that can handle diversity in thought and presentation style?

Last edited by ShonTron; Today at 17:00. Reason: Shortened lengthy cut-and-pastes

why take out one of my references? i don't think that's fair, especially when people can go on for pages about things that have nothing to do with rob ford without trouble or modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back