News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do millionaires hang out with drug gangs?

And get photographed with neo Nazi but none of these incidents hurt him politically so there is no point in even bringing it up.

Rob ford has built his popularity in being brash and careless and picking on those antics only play into his image.

it is ungrammatical (it reads "Self [he] speaks Spanish" or more freely, "He speaks Spanish himself" but with the wrong conjugation) (note that I cannot read Spanish, have no formal education in Spanish, and am barely exposed to Spanish outside of comparative linguistics, but can notice grammatical errors in it). It should read on the ad: "HABLO ESPAÑOL" ( speak Spanish). Therefore, the Spanish speaker has the right to be suspicious of Dr. Nick.

Actually, aside from the missing tilde, it is not incorrect, but grammatical and idiomatic. Some verbs in Spanish are used in the third person with the reflexive pronoun to express an impersonal statement, similar to the passive in English. Thus 'se habla español' is not intended to mean 'he speaks Spanish' but rather 'Spanish (is) spoken'.

http://www.123teachme.com/learn_spanish/passive_voice_2

(Incidentally, the character of Dr Nick is based on a member of the creative team behind the Simpsons, one who grew up in Mexico, so he conceivably does speak Spanish and we can attribute the missing tilde to an anglophone typesetter).

And get photographed with neo Nazi but none of these incidents hurt him politically so there is no point in even bringing it up.
To be fair, that photo was taken at the annual New Year's levee hosted by the mayor at City Hall. Anyone who shows up can have their photo taken with him.

To be fair, that photo was taken at the annual New Year's levee hosted by the mayor at City Hall. Anyone who shows up can have their photo taken with him.

That's true, although Ford or his staff could have asked a few questions. Lack of curiosity gets populists into trouble sometimes.

Actually, aside from the missing tilde, it is not incorrect, but grammatical and idiomatic. Some verbs in Spanish are used in the third person with the reflexive pronoun to express an impersonal statement, similar to the passive in English. Thus 'se habla español' is not intended to mean 'he speaks Spanish' but rather 'Spanish (is) spoken'.

http://www.123teachme.com/learn_spanish/passive_voice_2

(Incidentally, the character of Dr Nick is based on a member of the creative team behind the Simpsons, one who grew up in Mexico, so he conceivably does speak Spanish and we can attribute the missing tilde to an anglophone typesetter).
Thank you for clarifying.

The question asked in that poll does not address the issue well enough, though. I'm a big supporter of vaccines and ideally most of us would get them, but I technically do not support making them a 'requirement'. They are not a requirement here in Canada, yet we reap the benefits of vaccination quite successfully as a society.

What? My kid was kicked out of school for not showing proof of vaccination (the fact we were in France made this a hilarious bureaucratic goof-up, but still.) Vaccines are mandated.

In Calgary it's a lot easier since there are only suburbs and no urban city.

Funnily enough, Calgary is starting to build a bit of an urban city. Unfortunately, it's all on the flood plain, but the condos and market downtown toward Prince's Island have a decent urban feel to them, definitely.

Last edited:
Here's some grist for the rumour mill:

John Corbett ‏@CorComm
"Word from City Hall is the police are closing in and the noose is tightening around @MayorFord's neck. Looks like this is the end"

No clue, but Corbett has some solid connections and there is also this from Norm Wilner:

‏@wilnervision
"Is he there himself, or is he waiting for the police to leave? RT @reporterdonpeat Mayor Rob Ford has 7 staffers here at the BBQ #TOpoli"

Combined with Corbett's, this has me most intrigued.

Last edited:
What? My kid was kicked out of school for not showing proof of vaccination (the fact we were in France made this a hilarious bureaucratic goof-up, but still.) Vaccines are mandated.

You could have chosen to have your kid home-schooled, and he could have joined school later on on the condition that he stopped showing up during an epidemic if one broke out. It's a fairly pragmatic and flexible system and I endorse it.

I realise that for Western social-democratic standards they are relatively mandatory, but there are countries where parents are threatened with jail if they do not comply with the mandatory vaccination of their children. Being familiar with that reality, that's what comes to mind when people speak of mandatory vaccination.

Having a child die from a preventable disease is also a reality. What country jails parents for non-compliance?

Funny how the "well-educated elites" continually support high-minded things like scientific proof for vaccinations and yet it's a struggle to keep childhood diseases like measles from overwhelming vulnerable populations.

I don't condemn developing or under-developed countries where there is a real need to do so for making it mandatory. I just find that here it is not mandatory and things work fine.

Preventing young kids from attending school sounds to me like a reasonable deterrent. And if for whatever reason there's a vaccine that you really don't want on your kid then there's a path for civil disobedience that is not so traumatic.

I feel that having vaccines not be completely mandatory puts pressure on pharmaceuticals to keep their act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back