News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea...I'm still here and I am aware what's going on. I'm not out of the loop. I know there's good contemporary music being made. The entire point was what constitutes mainstream popular music....the zeitgeist of the moment. This is what influences the public in general....a large, constant flow of talent. If you don't believe me, then just look at the Billboard top 100 from any year of the 70's or 80's, and then compare it with any year from the 90's on. It is quite clear that talent as a component of mainstream popular music went straight of a facking cliff.

Yes...people are downloading mostly talentless music (yea...I know you think it is good) in the form of free low-fi files. And listening to it through your low-fi playback system. And you really aren't listening to it, because you are invariably doing something else and just have your ear buds in. You probably aren't going to see much of these "bands" play live either.

The recording industry knows this is what you are doing, which is why the quality of the recording is terrible because you wouldn't hear the difference anyway. It's been a very sad race to the bottom, and I've watched it happen. Yes...there's some great young talent out there, but the "Indie" scene has become saturated to the point where it is the new mainstream. It's kinda like getting a tattoo in 2013...what is the point.

You have a couple of good points (mainstream music is lame for the same reason mainstream news media is lame) and as no fan of popular music I certainly empathize with your feelings, but this is still the most hilariously stereotypical butthurt baby boomer attitude I've ever seen online. There has always been plenty of weak corperate produced music, it's just easier to point at past decades and go "Look! It was better back then! When I was young and cool! What? No! that's not a coincidence at all, what are you implying...?" when years and years have gone by to filter out all the shit. It's like watching somebody rag on a terrible remake of some old movie for being a remake, while missing that as a movie itself the remake is terrible.

Anyway to bring this back on topic, I imagine that Rob Ford's farts sound like dubstep. Wub. Wub wub wub wuuuuub. BrrrrRRAATT.

this is still the most hilariously stereotypical butthurt baby boomer attitude I've ever seen online.

Hyperbole much? That's just the standard knee-jerk defensive reply.

"Look! It was better back then! When I was young and cool! What? No! that's not a coincidence at all, what are you implying...?"

You can keep repeating that any way you like. I'm sure you'd like that to be true, and it may even have a ring of truth to it. But I'm saying it's more of an empirical fact that's fairly easy to prove. We don't have to get in a time machine and travel 25 years into the future to compare the Billboard 100 of 2013 to the Billboard 100 of say...1977 to prove my point.

The Billboard 100 should contain basically all the fluff, as it is just pure pop. It doesn't represent what would subjectively be described as the "best" of 1977. Kraftwerk certainly didn't make the Billboard 100 in 1977, but they were pioneering electronica. A small list of great artists of 1977 not in the top 100 would include Television, Sex Pistols, (oh yea, among many other things, there was a little genre called Punk music going on at the time), Throbbing Gristle, Bowie, The Clash, Ramones, Iggy Pop, Motorhead, Bob Marley, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Brian Eno, Yes, Eric Clapton, AC/DC, Genesis, The Damned, Peter Gabriel, Weather Report, Neil Young, Thin Lizzy, Muddy Waters, Jackson Browne, Townes Van Zandt, Leonard Cohen, Jethro Tull, Parliament, 10cc, Greatful Dead, Blue Oyster Cult, John Coltrane, Peter Tosh, Joni Mitchell, The Kinks, Santana.

That's just a partial list of talent that put out an album in 1977. And yes, you actually had to go to the record store and purchase it, and then take it home and put it on your turntable and play it. You admired the record cover and read it's contents. You actually paid attention to the music without multitasking.

And even the so-called fluff of the Billboard 100 charts for 1977 had some pretty good stuff....some great all-time classics....Walk This Way, Dancing Queen, Year of the Cat, Hotel California, Barracuda, Margaritaville, Carry on my Wayward Son, Blinded By The Light. And Some perfectly fine pop tunes from Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, Carly Simon, Commodores, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Hall & Oates, ELO, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, James Taylor, Marvin Gaye, Peter Frampton, Queen, Rod Stewart, Steve Miller Band, Stevie Wonder and Supertramp. There was some really awful crap too.

And you honestly expect me to believe that we will look back at 2013 (or pick any post 1990 year you like) and will recognize it as a year with the same amount of musical talent as 1977?

Last edited:
freshcutgrass, can you please go start a thread in "general discussions" specifically for this discussion and leave it there? it really doesn't belong here.

I'd be happy to see a thread on this topic too but until then...

I also feel there's been a fundamental decline of melody in popular music. Even the crappiest bubble-gum pop hit of the 60s or 70s had a strong hook of melody. Compare Bieber's 'baby, baby, baby' nonsense to any of the hits of equivalent pop idol types prior to the 90s. Yeah, I know it's like comparing bad cheeses but still...

I'd be happy to see a thread on this topic too but until then...

You can start a new thread on this stuff, no need for anyone else to do it. Discussion of music on a thread about Ford derails and fragments proper discussion.

Hopefully a mod can move relocate some of the off-topic discussion going on here.

I tried to read the Jow Warmington 'interview' with Ford but quite literally couldn't make it through the whole thing. It's just so smarmy and transparent. What I read basically sounded like a press release from Ford's office.

I understand your frustrations, Calgarian. I get it, too. I wish every day that some juicy Ford news is posted here. I check this site constantly to see if someone links us to the crack video. Sometimes the discussion goes off topic when it's a slow news day(s) but sure enough, Ford is the gift that keeps on giving, eventually!

You joined this site just to find out news about the Rob Ford video???

freshcutgrass, can you please go start a thread in "general discussions" specifically for this discussion and leave it there? it really doesn't belong here.

Yea, it’s pretty ironic that the thread has been derailed by the proposition that “nothing new†has been invented in the last 30 years, followed by the dismissal of smart phones as irrelevant because they are “just technologyâ€.

Technology: when the citizenry of the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] largest city in North America waits in a state of suspended animation for the arrival of a recording of their mayor smoking crack cocaine. A recording captured on one of those irrelevant smartphones. A recording that will be seen globally the second it emerges. A recording that, when it emerges, will fundamentally change the political, social and cultural trajectory of the city.

In 2013, technology is culture, whether freshcutgrass wants to acknowledge it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back