News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob Ford is legitimizing hate. Seriously if you voted for and support this fucking idiot please tell me why?

Toronto mayor’s snub of Pride Week gives bigots cover to spew their bile http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...gots-cover-to-spew-their-bile/article2080989/

Oh, it's clear to anyone who's keeping an eye on things, that since this whole thing erupted, the gay hate has become a title wave on all newspaper sites, blogs and Youtube. It doesn't take much to bring the hate to the forefront. I've been noticing this starting when ford got elected but in the last week it's been crazy.

I can't imagine that too many people voted for an anti-gay agenda. It's just shown up as an unappetizing side dish that many will ignore for the real meat and potatoes they did choose.

Seriously, I think you may need to adjust your meds.

There have been a total of three political assassinations in the entire history of Canada. Only two of those have been in the past century -- one was FLQ-related, and the other was part of the conscription issue during WWII.

And, big deal. This is Rob Ford that we're dealing with. He's an incendiary figure, the sort which sparks exceptions to general patterns.

The notion that someone in the gay community would murder the mayor because he initially refused to attend the Pride Parade is both insane and offensive to the gay community (who has far more of a sense of proportion than you seem to).

Who says it'd be as simple as "someone in the gay community"? Look: I'm had such premonitions since last fall, *long* before Pride, and in fact I wouldn't be surprised if a reason he lay low over his last month of campaigning was because of death threats (no, not from me--don't get any idears;-)). Nobody's coming up front about it because, well, it's a "code red" issue--but, really. With a mayor like Ford, we're truly in a phase verging on where if there haven't or couldn't possibly be the rumble of death threats or assassination attempts around the corner, then, uh, the opposition (not the thoughtful, measured opposition--the opposition at large) has failed. All Pride is, is an archetypal "straw that broke the camel's back" benchmark.

And technically, perhaps I've "needed new meds" ever since 2001, since I've never flinched from the notion of 9/11 being a keynote real-time aesthetic moment in our lives. Maybe you're just scared that it'd be simply a horrible, traumatic event if it happened; as far as I'm concerned, it might as well be transfixingly cathartic, even if I wound up losing friends and colleagues in the melee.

So...I'm prepared.

There have been a total of three political assassinations in the entire history of Canada. Only two of those have been in the past century -- one was FLQ-related, and the other was part of the conscription issue during WWII.

Sorry a little OT, but to whom are you referring to? Aside from Thomas D'arcy Mcgee and Pierre Laporte I'm not sure there has been any other politician assassinated.

Look: I'm had such premonitions since last fall, *long* before Pride ... he lay low over his last month of campaigning was because of death threats ... the rumble of death threats or assassination attempts around the corner ... it might as well be transfixingly cathartic, even if I wound up losing friends and colleagues in the melee.
Can you see yourself killing him?

Can you see yourself killing him?

As mentioned before, I accept the possibility that my words in threads like this might trigger the unhinged. But if that's the case, then the Beatles killed Sharon Tate.

And to go back to the whole "tkip family" thing for a metaphor: my own family imploded, spectacularly. And I wouldn't wish it upon anyone; however, in hindsight and on balance, maybe it was better for that to happen than for us to "grin and bear it", even if some of us got hurt in the process. That's right: sometimes fate dictates that it's necessary for a family to self-destruct (luckily I had alternate "good family" exemplars to look up to).

And I sense a similar toxin in effect w/the Ford regime...and, face it. Maybe, just as w/my family, "grinning and bearing it" just *isn't* enough.

Last edited:
Sorry a little OT, but to whom are you referring to? Aside from Thomas D'arcy Mcgee and Pierre Laporte I'm not sure there has been any other politician assassinated.
Oops! In rechecking my sources, I see I was mistaken. You're absolutely correct, which means that there has been only one assassination in Canada in the past 143 years.

Riiiight...he's up there with anti-separatism and conscription.

This kind of hyperbolic paranoia is not becoming.

Ultimately, to dismiss Ford's "targetability" on those grounds is like dismissing certain heritage cases on "Riiiight...it's up there with Old City Hall and Osgoode Hall" grounds.

Ford won't be assassinated. Who would / could possibly attempt it? His opponents aren't typically that militant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back