News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sent my email to the executive.
Sent mine as well.

The autobot responders from Mammo and Crawford have already replied, including this line in Mammo's (after recounting how great he is):
Please also note that correspondence being received as part of a group or online petition cannot receive individual responses at this time.

Sent to me by a friend, who I think pretty much nailed it: "The 'Ford Nation' thought process: Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... clearly there's a media conspiracy trying to convince us that our turkey is a duck."

Now it's up to the rest of us to take action. Drafting my letters to council/executive now.

These are each composed and signed individually, so we should expect a personal reply? I doesn't make you part of a group to find the councilors addresses and use them.

Sent mine as well.

The autobot responders from Mammo and Crawford have already replied, including this line in Mammo's (after recounting how great he is):

Sent mine to the executive, kept it short and not so sweet:

Dear Members of the Executive Committee:

Mayor Rob Ford should resign immediately as Mayor of the City of Toronto.

He refuses to address very important questions that the citizens are asking about his association with people with lengthy criminal records, and his own personal behaviour. Until he explains adequately, he is unfit to be Mayor of this great city.

Please consider resigning from the Executive Committee to show your support for full and complete honesty from our Mayor.

Sincerely,

Sent to me by a friend, who I think pretty much nailed it: "The 'Ford Nation' thought process: Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... clearly there's a media conspiracy trying to convince us that our turkey is a duck."

I'm stealing that.

Looks legit. No seriously, please don't use stuff like this as evidence of anything. It's really weak and makes everyone look bad. Everyone was up in arms when a blurry photograph was presented as proof that a city employee was asleep on the job. Now suddenly random tweets are being used as proof of something? Let's not get carried away.

I can't speak for the other guy, but I certainly wouldn't use tweets as definitive proof of anything, trust me. He asked if anyone had more on the matter and I shared what I'd seen. The only way this could be really useful is as a hint leading to a direct query of the mayor. I think it would be totally legit (and awesome) for a reporter to ask, you know, "In light of your apology on 1010 and pledge to "do better"... did you purchase alcohol last night?"

Mmm-kay, I fired off the following email to most of the Executive Council and noted fence sitter, Pasternak.

"As a concerned and embarrassed Torontonian I urge you to stop being an enabler of our disgraceful, drug abusing, and possibly criminal Mayor. Your cowardice in not opposing his behaviour, and demanding his immediate resignation is shocking and represents a betrayal of this once great city. Deep down you know that his conduct in woefully inappropriate and is damaging Toronto's reputation. And yet, you do nothing. One day you will regret your inaction. Do what you know is right. Our Mayor is bringing shame to a once proud city. Insist that he resign. Now!

By the way, I am writing this from Hanoi Vietnam, my current residence. Some people here now know about Rob Ford now and ask me how my city could support him. I shake my head and say "I don't know." I wish I could say I was from Calgary.

Do the right thing. You'll feel better in the long run."

Only Pasternak has written back so far, but what he said was somewhat interesting, though a tad condescending.

"Thank you for this e-mail.

I would agree that Mayor Ford's behaviour is totally unacceptable and damaging to the City of Toronto.

However, I don't think marching down main street with a pitchfork and torch will work in this situation. I am approaching this with a strategy of constructive engagement. If you knew what I knew you would agree.

Sure, I could yell and scream as you've suggested, but it will make matters worse and nothing will be accomplished. The Fords will simply dig in even more.

If you would like to have Ontario's mayors removed from office more easily, then I suggest you call the premier of Ontario and ask for amendments to various laws so that could be done.

Once again, thank you for your opinions and I look forward to the next mayoralty election less than a year away.

Sincerely,"

I urge everyone to write Pasternak--and some of the other fence sitters (and the EC enablers too even though they are entrenched)--as he seems particularly prickly and vulnerable over this whole affair and could fold with some targeted prodding. I dunno if it will accomplish anything but you have to look for weakness or vulnerability in some of the enablers and exploit it. Just my two cents.

I can't speak for the other guy, but I certainly wouldn't use tweets as definitive proof of anything, trust me. He asked if anyone had more on the matter and I shared what I'd seen. The only way this could be really useful is as a hint leading to a direct query of the mayor. I think it would be totally legit (and awesome) for a reporter to ask, you know, "In light of your apology on 1010 and pledge to "do better"... did you purchase alcohol last night?"

FWIW I'm a "she" but thanks for the source. I wouldn't take anything on twitter as proof of much, but as I said the only place I've ever seen the mayor is at the liquor store and, anecdotally, anyone at work or in casual conversation who's seen him has been either at an event or the LCBO. Man definitely has a drinking problem (which even he doesn't seem to quite admit to - downing whole mickeys of vodka and driving around is a far cry from "a few cold ones").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back