News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard legal advice for a criminal lawyer to his typical clientele.

It certainly isn't the advice that city politicians tell their constituents.

One only need to avoid talking to the police, if one has done something wrong. This only goes to confirm that Rob Ford has done something wrong.

The funny thing of course is that if it was anyone else, they'd be the first to jump on the won't talk to police = guilty line.

AoD

According to Daniel Dale, Councillor Filion said Doug's comments are appalling, and he (Filion) is working on a council motion. As Dale notes, the first indication of any council action so far.

According to Daniel Dale, Councillor Filion said Doug's comments are appalling, and he (Filion) is working on a council motion. As Dale notes, the first indication of any council action so far.

I'm starting to think a rally might not be necessary, just let Doug talk Rob right out of the Mayor's office.

Standard legal advice for a criminal lawyer to his typical clientele.

It certainly isn't the advice that city politicians tell their constituents.

One only need to avoid talking to the police, if one has done something wrong. This only goes to confirm that Rob Ford has done something wrong.

I realize Rob hasn't been arrested... but if I was arrested tomorrow (and legitimately innocent) I wouldn't say one single word to police.

I'm not supporting Rob here by any means. Just pointing out that "don't talk to the police" is standard legal advice.

Last edited:
I realize Rob hasn't been arrested... but if I was arrested tomorrow (and legitimately innocent) I wouldn't say one single word to police.
I'd be very careful what I said. But if was legitimately innocent, I'd want to make it clear.

However, this isn't about Ford being arrested. This is about the police investigating a known drug dealer who appears to have participated in or have knowledge of a home invasion on a property where a long-time friend of Rob Ford lives. There's no reason not to assist the police with their enquiries - unless one has done something wrong.

Numerous people in the Mayor's Office have assisted the police with their enquiries. Would you have not done so, if you hadn't done anything wrong?

If my lawyer was present, I would. If there is a genuine concern for clearing one's name, the best thing you can do is speak to the police (with an attorney present). If you have an alibi, provide it. If you have proof you aren't guilty, provide it. The police are not out to scapegoat anyone (unless you're a Black Male that is, at that point I would say don't speak to police, history unfortunately shows this). I get that we all have a reason to distrust the police, but they aren't all the enemy. They're doing their jobs. Being uncooperative makes one look guilty even when they aren't.

My whole thing is, "don't talk" is a piece of advice that can easily go no further than between lawyer and client. I am BAFFLED at his decision to make a pretty inflammatory public statement.

Councillor McConnell says that Exec and council will look at what constraints they can put on the mayor's office, according to a tweet by Daniel Dale. She also said that the Fords made a very big tactical error in taking on Blair.

That is not helpful. Hard enough getting momentum. It is very fragile right now.

I just meant that maybe Rob will do the "right" thing and resign before next week. After Doug's performance this morning the councillors are talking about removing Doug from committees. Wasn't meant as a "put down" on the rally.

PL:

Yeah, but what does she know, she is just a lefty councillor anyways. Personally, I'd love to hear from the law and order types - you know, the Hudaks, Holidays, Kellys, etc.

AoD

Listening to Rob on John Oakley yesterday and Doug on Metro Morning today, I noticed a funny similarity. Both times the respective hosts mentioned the apology, they responded with "Well I guess you're perfect and have never made a mistake Rob has and he apologized." They are in full attack dog mode against anyone who second guesses them or asks them a tough question. It's really sad how they're twisting everything into them being victims.

Matt Galloway pressed Doug as much as he could before being cut off about how could it be that Doug has never met or heard of Sandro Lisi but Doug just changed the subject and avoided the question.

Besides that, the Metro Morning interview today was infuriating to listen to. It just came on while I was eating my breakfast. I didn't really want to start my day off being annoyed. Hearing Doug tell Matt Galloway he has his facts wrong and Matt was twisting his words was just unreal. The whole thing spiralled into the we've saved the city $1 billion dollars nonsense.

As much as this whole situation is frustrating, I do enjoy the show. Rob and Doug trying to handle things themselves just makes for an unbelievable spectacle. They just keep digging themselves into a deeper and deeper hole. I can't wait for them disappear from politics.

I'm told the the investigation into Rob Ford "is very much still ongoing". There's that potential obstruction of justice charge coming which is why Doug came out against Blair to discredit him in advance. The war of words against the Police Chief is intended to weaken his reputation so that when the charges do come, they can call it a Police conspiracy like they did with the media. Doug Ford is definitely all in right now. Like someone said on Twitter: The Fords just pulled the goalie.

Numerous people in the Mayor's Office have assisted the police with their enquiries. Would you have not done so, if you hadn't done anything wrong?

Yeah that's a fair point. But the context is a little different - those people knew they weren't the subject of the investigation. Rob now (rightly or wrongly) has reason to believe that he might be. Even if innocent he has some reason to be wary about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back