News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
goldsbie: Hearing that members of media are considering pressing charges against City Hall and/or Mayor's security personnel.

These are municipal employees. Council needs to step in.

I can't imagine she'd do something. That's a horrible precedent.

She shouldn't do something about Ford specifically, but she most definitely should give all Ontario city councils the legal tools to deal with these situations themselves. That would an extremely appropriate (and long overdue) precedent.

I can certainly see Wynne tabling legislation that allows a supermajority of a city council to remove a mayor/council member, or at least to initiate a recall by public vote. That would keep her government out of this specific situation, and make Toronto ultimately responsible for dealing with the issue, while at the same time offering a way for her provincial capital to stop being a laughingstock.

Perhaps Wynne could work with leaders of the opposition parties to draft a law that would give council power to remove Ford. That way no one could use it against them politically. If the conservatives balk at the suggestion it's pretty clear that they've come down on the side of supporting a lying, law-breaking man who is dangerous to the city.

It seems to me that Ford is loving the international media attention. Maybe he plans to write a book and make some money out of this. That line about "eating pussy" seems well planned to get him on late night shows. It was planned to get more attention and enflame his already infamous reputation. At this point, I really think he is just setting himself up, to capitalize off his sudden rise to world-wide infamy. I'm sure his family (mainly Doug) is thinking of ways to capitalize off this situations. There are lots of ways to do that.

Seeing that his political career is all but done, he has to have some sort of exit plan non?
Write the inevitable memoir and sell the rights for tv/movies etc.....Of course with Dougie as his agent

If organized crime was calling the shots he'd be dead by now. Found in a flipped SUV with a bottle of Iceberg Vodka dribbling on his chest. No Mr. Big would risk this train wreck bringing all this attention.

Indeed. Like the Pennsylvania Congressman in House of Cards.

I'd really like to know Ford's gameplan in his own mind. Does he really, truly believe if he keeps giving these non-committal pressers where he admits to nothing, makes vague apologies about "mistakes," talks about "moving forward" and blames the media a little bit for harassing him that everyone's eventually just going to go "yeah okay, let's leave him alone now!" ? Isn't there ANYONE in his inner circle telling him that the ONLY way through now (and it's super narrow and probably wouldn't work but it would be his only chance) would be to come one hundred per cent clean about EVERYTHING so no more bombs drop in his lap? He literally has no other option. It's mesmerizing to watch him do the opposite over and over.

It has worked the entire time he's held office, and even worked this past May. Why would he stop now?

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but it does seem a bit like the "pussy" remarks were made to take attention away from some of the more damning things that came out yesterday. Everyone's talking about it instead of the other allegations so it kind of worked. Ford got up there and made an apology about it without really addressing anything else. It's possible he went out of his way to create an insignificant scandal to overshadow more the significant ones.

Or maybe it was all just an unfortunate *ahem* slip of the tongue.

I can't imagine she'd do Something. That would be a horrible precedent.

I'm quite tired of overwrought handwringing about democracy from the likes of Perks et al. A horrible precedent has already been set -- by the Fords.

Remember also that the Wynne government was democratically elected .

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but it does seem a bit like the "pussy" remarks were made to take attention away from some of the more damning things that came out yesterday. Everyone's talking about it instead of the other allegations so it kind of worked. Ford got up there and made an apology about it without really addressing anything else. It's possible he went out of his way to create an insignificant scandal to overshadow more the significant ones.

Bang-on, I believe. Good thinking.

I'm quite tired of overwrought handwringing about democracy from the likes of Perks et al. A horrible precedent has already been set -- by the Fords.

Remember also that the Wynne government was democratically elected .

Thank you! Jesus, the horrible precedent is that of an elected official with no accountability being allowed to run wild and destroy the integrity of the institution he's supposed to be protecting while everyone else stands around unwilling and incapable of doing anything. We might as well tell any person ever elected to the mayoralty from here on in "hey, don't go to jail, and you can pretty much do whatever the fuck you want."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back