8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
TJ said:
As for the legal arguments....unlike Hotmail LLB, Rust D'Eye is one of the best in the biz.

As is Alan Lenczner.

It would be a mistake to assume that either of those lawyers supports Ford, or that they're purely mercenary. I doubt either of them is hurting for work.

Although in practice there's wiggle room on this, lawyers and law students are regularly informed that we have an ethical duty to take files that we're competent to handle, even if we don't like the client or the case.

What they're doing, or proposing to do, is not especially different from what criminal defence lawyers do for guilty clients. I recall John Rosen, who represented Paul Bernardo, explaining that the lawyer's job is to ensure that the law is correctly interpreted and fully obeyed. And certainly, it does raise their profile to represent someone as famous as Ford.

David Rider from The Star:
Towhey told NewsTalk1010 listeners that staff believed police already knew Ford was drinking and driving. Long rumoured Ford was more than once stopped but not charged. Beat cop told me calls would appear on screen, then disappear. Before Blair bombshell, there was fear among city hall insiders & some cops that friendly brass, esp in 23 Division, could save his skin.

I heard some of what the Fordiots said at council today and am certain beyond doubt that they both suffer from serious psychological issues.
Given what their mum is like and that their other siblings are fucked as well, I can only surmise that the deceased Ford Sr must have been quite the...um, how to put this delicately?....special.

They both need anti-psychotics, hugs, and serious psychotherapy.

David Rider from The Star:
Towhey told NewsTalk1010 listeners that staff believed police already knew Ford was drinking and driving. Long rumoured Ford was more than once stopped but not charged. Beat cop told me calls would appear on screen, then disappear. Before Blair bombshell, there was fear among city hall insiders & some cops that friendly brass, esp in 23 Division, could save his skin.

Well....I'm never paying a speeding ticket again. Or am I not important enough?

Oh....I see how it works! Only important people are above the law. I'm just a working-class nobody.

They'll always have ignorance. They're still active on Facebook. The comments are predictably depressing.

I heard some of what the Fordiots said at council today and am certain beyond doubt that they both suffer from serious psychological issues.
Given what their mum is like and that their other siblings are fucked as well, I can only surmise that the deceased Ford Sr must have been quite the...um, how to put this delicately?....special.

They both need anti-psychotics, hugs, and serious psychotherapy.

They are stupid. Stupid. Simple as that. I just saw one of them on TV saying he's saving us money and I'd rather have someone who "admits to their mistakes" that I trust to watch our tax dollars than someone who doesn't watch our money and who doesn't admit to their mistakes (paraphrasing). She was quite passionate and totally believed every word she said. I just shake my head in disbelief. So, they're out there and Ford could definitely be the come-back kid next October. I've never doubted it, but given the events of the past week and a half, now it scares me.

Anyone catch this earlier? Interesting defense of police surveillance of Ford, though I don't agree with the notion that police did their civic duty in reporting Ford's alcoholic behaviour. Warrants are used for the Crown to press charges, not to send messages to the public.

Though I saw someone on Twitter mention it and it's a good question...what did a lot of those tertiary details in the warrant have to do with Lisi's eventual arrest? IANAL.

http://steinsgeist.com/2013/11/14/police-did-not-give-ford-pass/

This is very well written but it's a very simple point that continues to escape people who should know better, like Clayton Ruby: They didn't want to bust him for a small-time possession charge!! They were following bigger leads and - at least for now - that lead to arresting Lisi for trafficking and extortion. Those, just by themselves, are more significant than the mayor having a few ounces of pot, even if the mayor is more famous. And, that's assuming he had pot. If they thought they had probable cause and it turned out Lisi was passing him documents, now they've undermined a massive investigation, headed by the city's top investigator, involving planes, cameras and all this other stuff....why on earth would they go for a pot possession charge? The only reason is to appease people like Ruby and do what he couldn't: bring the mayor down. But given what we've seen, it's also clear that even that charge wouldn't have got him booted from office.

And, as the author shows, the fact they stayed with him means that even if we don't have him charged with anything (yet! yet!) we still know far more about him and his activities (legal, illegal and shady) thanks to the investigation now out there AND the cops have the video. All of that would have been mitigated or might not have taken place if they'd just pulled him over after a random meeting with Lisi on a random July day.

The DUI's are a bit harder to justify given the safety issues but, again, they have a major investigation going on of the mayor in addition to ongoing Project Traveler and they're going to blow all that because he has a bottle of vodka? (And I'm not surprised if old DUIs were swept under the rug. Isn't it well known the Fords were cozy with the local superintendent...Taverner, maybe? But it was "worth it" to have on record what we now about Ford.)

Didn't Clayton Ruby ever watch The Wire? It's all connected.

p.s. Re: the lawyers, I agree there is no reason to think Rust D'Eye believes Ford is "right." It's a high-profile case (kaching) and it's an interesting test of the municipal law that is likely to be cited for years. I doubt he actually thinks his moron of a client has a case.

Last edited:
This is very well written but it's a very simple point that continues to escape people who should know better, like Clayton Ruby: They didn't want to bust him for a small-time possession charge!! They were following bigger leads and - at least for now - that lead to arresting Lisi for trafficking and extortion. Those, just by themselves, are more significant than the mayor having a few ounces of pot, even if the mayor is more famous. And, that's assuming he had pot. If they thought they had probable cause and it turned out Lisi was passing him documents, now they've undermined a massive investigation, headed by the city's top investigator, involving planes, cameras and all this other stuff....why on earth would they go for a pot possession charge? The only reason is to appease people like Ruby and do what he couldn't: bring the mayor down. But given what we've seen, it's also clear that even that charge wouldn't have got him booted from office.

And, as the author shows, the fact they stayed with him means that even if we don't have him charged with anything (yet! yet!) we still know far more about him and his activities (legal, illegal and shady) thanks to the investigation now out there AND the cops have the video. All of that would have been mitigated or might not have taken place if they'd just pulled him over after a random meeting with Lisi on a random July dayd.

The DUI's are a bit harder to justify given the safety issues but, again, they have a major investigation going on of the mayor in addition to ongoing Project Traveler and they're going to blow all that because he has a bottle of vodka? (And I'm not surprised if old DUIs were swept under the rug. Isn't it well known the Fords were cozy with the local superintendent...Taverner, maybe? But it was "worth it" to have on record what we now about Ford.)

Didn't Clayton Ruby ever watch The Wire? It's all connected.

p.s. Re: the lawyers, I agree there is no reason to think Rust D'Eye believes Ford is "right." It's a high-profile case (kaching) and it's an interesting test of the municipal law that is likely to be cited for years. I doubt he actually thinks his moron of a client has a case.

Thank you. At least someone here understands the purpose of surveillance. It's not to nail them for relatively petty things! but to get them for the major things! and the top level people in the organizations.

As for Ford's dui's, it's a calculated risk. I'm sure if Ford was swerving and totally out of control behind the wheel, they'd have called in a car to pull him over. Unfortunately, serial dui's can be relatively good drivers under the influence - within reason of course.

Many cancers are preventable through behavior modification. So is the heart disease and diabetes that the Mayor will undoubtedly suffer from in the future. I suppose people who suffer from any of those things don't deserve sympathy either because they can be 100% preventable too!

Big difference between Smitherman (and you really have no idea what he may have taken recreationally) and Ford is Smitherman did not become Mayor of the nation's largest city, smoke crack with thugs, behave like a thug and consort with thugs and proceed to turn the city into (an albeit entertaining) daily media circus.

His comment about Asians whether he means it as a compliment speaks to a larger issue of stereotyping and leaves many people wondering what he thinks about blacks, gays, women and other assorted non white male middle aged men. He's the mayor of all people of Toronto not just the zaftig white male contingent.

You're right. Many forms of cancer are preventable -- many aren't. My uncle is a firefighter, and he was diagnosed with cancer -- most likely due to the nature of his job. I suppose he could have prevented it, had he chosen a less dangerous line of work. Heart disease and diabetes run in my family. My dad's father had both. He used to lose a lot of weight before going on family vacations -- then he would go massive eating binges and gain several pounds. This was terribly hard on his body -- and he was a doctor -- he knew better. He was in terrible shape towards the end of his life, and I watched him die, convulsing in his hospital bed. It was the most painful thing I've ever witnessed. Although I loved him tremendously, his health issues were a result of a lifetime of poor, selfish habits. He was ultimately responsible for the way he died. Getting back to the STD/AIDS argument -- it is true that people can become infected via a cheating partner -- though I doubt most STD cases are a result of such innocent circumstances. I have a difficult time feeling bad for someone like, Freddie Mercury -- who regularly participated in orgies and had multiple partners. He knowingly put himself in harm's way. When one plays with fire, to that extent, it's not surprising to see what became of him. Was his slow, painful death worth the quest for orgasms? He died in a very tragic manner, but he was careless with his safety and he paid the ultimate sacrifice. It's too bad he went out like that.

I have no idea what drugs Smitherman has done. From what we know, he did "party drugs"; whatever that means? I would guess he was into drugs, other than cannabis. Yes, Smitherman didn't become mayor, but he ran for mayor, and many of you voted for him, knowing his troubled past with drug addiction. Both Ford and Smitherman are tainted in that regard and are untrustworthy. For all we know, Smitherman still does drugs. Keep in mind, other than perhaps Ford's Etobicoke friends/community, who knew that he had such a shady drug history, at the time of the election? We knew about his pot conviction, but the public, at large, had no idea that he was a crack user; and perhaps he wasn't at the time. There was no reason to vote for him during the last election, and one would have to be a mental vegetable to vote for him next year, considering how much more has come to light. It is possible that Smitherman does hang out with thugs (there's no evidence to suggest that). Smitherman is savvy and actually has the ability to think, unlike Ford. He also doesn't have the same media pressure, digging up dirt on him. I doubt he would hang out with the likes of the Dixon Bloods, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he has some sketchy friends. I know his husband isn't a public figure, but it's really suspicious that he was recently found, lying on the ground, near a crack den. Why on earth did he go missing and why was he found in such a weird place?

His "Oriental" comment was indeed a stereotype, but was it a bad one? What is wrong with working hard? Obviously he generalized all Asian people, but was it really a harmful comment? Can someone please explain to me why the term, 'Oriental', is derogatory? One could make the argument that, 'Asian', is a stereotype. It is used exclusively to describe people from countries like China, Japan, Thailand, etc. No one refers to someone from Kazakhstan as an, Asian. Likewise, Scandinavians aren't commonly referred to as Europeans, and Argentinians and Chileans aren't labeled as South Americans.

I really don't think Ford is a racist or homophobe. If he was, why would he hang out with the likes of Anthony Smith, and be friends with a lesbian like, Sue-Ann Levy? Ford's indifference to Pride doesn't make him homophobic. Many log cabin gays don't support such events. What does one label them? Are they not sincerely gay for not approving? I think he just feels uncomfortable with a small portion of gay people. I mean look at the the guy -- he's your typical Helix loving, sports watching, belching hoser. It's not surprising that he wouldn't fit in with grinding men in skimpy clothing. He comes from a very masculine upbringing, so naturally he's going to feel weird around effeminate men, that he probably shares little to no commonality with; other than the desire to party.

I'm sure that's great comfort to the thousands who received tainted blood during the 80's.

In some sense, every (contractable) disease is 100% preventable. Isolate people, isolate yourself, disinfect everything. See, 100% preventable.

Is it difficult for people to feel sympathy for those with leprosy, even though it's incredibly rare in Western countries? It's curable and easily prevented against. But is on it's way to being eradicated thanks to the sympathy and empathy of the millions who've donated to leprosy charities.

Sympathy and empathy for the sick and infirmed should never be dependent on how personally familiar you are with the ailment. Most people know this. I don't know anyone in Southern Asia, nor have I been or known a victim of a tsunami, earthquake or typhoon, nor am I even Asian, but it hasn't stopped me from donating to relief charities in Asia over the years.

I already acknowledged tainted blood with my referece to, Tom Fogerty.

Sure, everything is possibly preventable if we live our lives like hermits. Let's be practical. Everyone needs to leave their houses -- the amount of sexual partners we have is a choice.

Admittedly, I was too simplistic with my comments regarding non relatives/friends with life threatening diseases. Yes, I do feel sorry for people with leprosy -- not to the point where it affects my daily life, however. Leprosy isn't transmitted through sexual contact, unlike most AIDS cases. It is still unfortunate that people die from AIDS, regardless of the moral issues I have with promiscuity, and my absent personal connection to those affected with that illness. Do you feel the same amount of sympathy for people who die from the likes of auto racing or mountain climbing? Both are very risky activities and have highly potential fatal consequences. That's not to say people deserve whatever dangers might occur while partaking in such things, but we have countless examples of what can happen when one involves themself in high risk situations. Think of videos that we've all seen of skateboarders attempting stupid stunts that have been tried countless times, with terrible results -- yet it doesn't stop many from trying to grind down several flights of stairs. Likewise, there are plenty examples of how destructive sex and drugs can be, yet people feel immune. We tend to think that bad things happen to other people, and that we're smart enough not to become affected in a dangerous way.

I get so sick of the attitude that Rob Ford should get a pass for using hurtful language - whether about Asians, women, or Pakistani cab drivers - because he's plainspoken and he means well. I do my best to choose my words carefully, not because I want to be "politically correct" but because I value inclusiveness and respect. When Ford makes comments like "Those Oriental people work like dogs", regardless of what his actual intent is, his words tell me that he doesn't care about how he makes other people feel. Yesterday's train wreck is just another illustration of that.

If I had more time this morning, I'd have more to say about your sentiments about gay people, HIV-AIDS, and suburbanites - suffice it to say, I grew up in the suburbs, and although prejudice was certainly widespread, it was also rapidly changing by the time I was in my teens.

Why was his comment re Orientals hurtful? Do lazy "Orientals" feel excluded? Maybe this has to do with the terminology he used, which apparently is derogatory? Is it hurtful to black people to be called good dancers? I'm honestly baffled at why that comment was such a big deal for some people. His comments about women are disgusting, and my knowledge of his Paki comment is vague, so I won't comment.

You make Toronto's suburbs seem like rural Alberta. I fear that this might be lasting damage from Ford's mayoralty: that it has overemphasized the political differences between downtown and the suburbs. Of course people in the suburbs care about things like AIDS and gay rights and racism! But the 2010 election wasn't about that. It was about taxes after the HST and the garbage strike. Everything else was a sideshow that people didn't really pay attention to.

Keep in mind that Miller won many of the suburban wards against Tory in 2003, and all of the suburban wards in 2006. And, of course, the Con/PCs rarely win in the suburbs.

This is contradictory. It's not alright for Ford to stereotype, "Orientals", but it's fine for you to stereotype all of rural Alberta -- as if they all share the same opinions. I guess it depends what your relationship is to the suburbs, but from my experience, there are plenty of racist people in the the suburbs -- mostly in a satirical manner, mind you. But I have worked with people that hate immigrants. They're quite the characters.
I think Miller and his success in the suburbs doesn't necessarily mean that suburban voters are as liberal minded as one might assume. For the most part, I'd say people are in the middle and are easily swayed, one way or the other. Conservatives are also just terrible campaigners. They're the worst at getting their message across, and they don't even believer their own mythology. Liberals are wizards when it comes to convincing people to vote for them -- they also have the advantage of controlling the cultural narrative, especially in the United States. They own Hollywood, the press, mainstream media, etc... All of us are influenced by a liberal culture, regardless of whether we support liberal politics. Until conservatives realize that culture is important, they're going to struggle to win elections. You can't reach young people without being relating to them on a personal level. Although we've had a conservative prime minister for close to a decade, I don't think that is due to a shift in attitudes. I think the conservatives will have a tough time being re-elected -- though Justin Trudeau might hand them the next election.

http://torontojungle.com/forum/showthread.php/67942-When-Rob-Ford-is-Mayor

For the Kruks and hawcs of the thread. Time machine via Edward Keenan. Amazingly prescient column on Hizzoner.

Don't lump me in with hawc; I'm not a Ford supporter. I've mocked him a few times in this thread.

Back to Ford's latest shenanigans.

Last edited:
They are stupid. Stupid. Simple as that. I just saw one of them on TV saying he's saving us money and I'd rather have someone who "admits to their mistakes" that I trust to watch our tax dollars than someone who doesn't watch our money and who doesn't admit to their mistakes (paraphrasing). She was quite passionate and totally believed every word she said. I just shake my head in disbelief. So, they're out there and Ford could definitely be the come-back kid next October. I've never doubted it, but given the events of the past week and a half, now it scares me.

Yup. I think if anything this has emboldened the Ford brothers. The 2014 election will be a sh1tshow. Doug is a pit bull, Rob utterly lacks self-awareness - very useful qualities in politics. Ughhh.....

Seriously. It's one of the reasons I didn't vote for him. I knew about his revolting behaviour. People need to take responsibility and research their candidates.

Anybody who watched Ford's infamous "Fat F**k" video, knew exactly what kind of immature man/boy, they were electing to office. It clearly shows Ford's stupidity and character. (or lack there of) His reprehensible behaviour of late, is no surprise at all. I was predicting disaster right from the start.

And who very likely is charging by the hour. Of course he'll take the job; Rich client, lots of exposure, and little fallout in losing when odds are high you will.

George Rust D'eye would likely not take this one for the dough. It's his bailiwick. And this is a a 1-in-200 year chance to define and establish precedent in municipal law (because this is so extraordinary). The guy is 70 and his credibility in these matters is firm, to say the least. Been doing it for 40 years.

He likes this case. It's one for the history (and law) books. Testament and legacy. Should be interesting. Let's see if the teflon holds. Hope not. But who knows?

I feel that it needs to be pointed out that drug use (including alcohol) and drug abuse or addiction are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back