News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because (according to Doug) you can't teach loyalty, though apparently you can buy it, using taxpayers money.

Is he using taxpayers' money, or is he paying it out of his own pocket? If the latter, it's contrary to the rules, as I understand. Perhaps it could even be construed as bribery?

I agree this thread is moving a little too close to sexism when considering Alana's role, but all this article concludes is that her friends says she isn't a sex worker. I think more investigative journalism than interviewing a friend might be required. I can certainly understand how people might doubt that a beautiful and young woman needs several online dating profiles. Is she shy? Because she seemed to meet the mayor pretty easily? Again, I'm not suggesting that women who date online are professionals, just that there remains questions unanswered and I understand why people are jumping to these conclusions. And regardless, I suspect his wife isn't thrilled about it.

I don't think it's known for sure that all of those dating profiles were really hers. She has her modelling portfolio pics on several sites where models post to get hired. Anyone can right-click a photo and save it, then post it elsewhere (i.e. on a dating website) and say it's a photo of themselves; people lie on dating sites all the time.

And remember that company that used a photo of a teen who committed suicide to create fake dating profiles and ads?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/rehtaeh-parsons-photo-used-in-facebook-dating-ad-1.1858376
It's not a stretch to think online dating sites crawl through modelling websites to steal pics and make fake profiles/ads just to pull traffic to their own sites.

Is he using taxpayers' money, or is he paying it out of his own pocket? If the latter, it's contrary to the rules, as I understand. Perhaps it could even be construed as bribery?

yep, he's screwed either way
banane.gif

I agree this thread is moving a little too close to sexism when considering Alana's role, but all this article concludes is that her friends says she isn't a sex worker. I think more investigative journalism than interviewing a friend might be required. I can certainly understand how people might doubt that a beautiful and young woman needs several online dating profiles. Is she shy? Because she seemed to meet the mayor pretty easily? Again, I'm not suggesting that women who date online are professionals, just that there remains questions unanswered and I understand why people are jumping to these conclusions. And regardless, I suspect his wife isn't thrilled about it.

Where has this been mentioned?

Anyways, what's the problem with someone profiles on different sites?

I don't think it's known for sure that all of those dating profiles were really hers. She has her modelling portfolio pics on several sites where models post to get hired. Anyone can right-click a photo and save it, then post it elsewhere (i.e. on a dating website) and say it's a photo of themselves; people lie on dating sites all the time.

And remember that company that used a photo of a teen who committed suicide to create fake dating profiles and ads?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/rehtaeh-parsons-photo-used-in-facebook-dating-ad-1.1858376
It's not a stretch to think online dating sites crawl through modelling websites to steal pics and make fake profiles/ads just to pull traffic to their own sites.

Yeah, and there's also this:
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...n_hired_to_write_up_fake_female_profiles.html
She was soon asked to create 1,000 “fake female profiles” meant to lure men to the new Brazilian Ashley Madison site — and given only three weeks to complete the work, the document alleges.
“The purpose of these profiles is to entice paying heterosexual male members to join and spend money on the website,” it reads.
“They do not belong to any genuine members of Ashley Madison — or any real human beings at all.”

Ford's penchant for misrepresenting the truth, and outright lying should have been enough for people to put aside their politics. Prior to the mayoral election, Ford had flat out lied to the public at least twice, not to mention all the "facts" he's so fond of. How can anyone trust a compulsive liar to push any agenda forward? I realize the Ford fans will claim that all politicians lie, but even if that's true, they certainly don't lie as poorly, and as stupidly as Ford.

Hey listen I'm not disagreeing with you I thought he was a nightmare even then. I'm just saying I don't hold voting for him in and of itself in 2010 as a sign of stupidity, just bad judgment. Anyone who votes for him in 2014, however, is a fucking idiot.

But I can tell you, as I've said many times, anyone who at THIS POINT is still supporting Ford is the very definition of a moron. Seriously, THOSE people are fucking dumb.

EDIT: Hell even Keenan in that piece from 2010 that's been making the rounds defended him as far as his ability to do the couple of things he said he would.

I think that whoever supports Ford at this point can be broken down into 2 types of people:

1. People who subconsciously are ashamed of having supported Rob Ford, but can't admit that they make mistakes. I think these people take all of the incoming hostility directed to Rob Ford personally, as if it was they who are being blamed, rather than Rob Ford. Being a victim has a certain sexiness to it, right? I mean, you get to harbour feelings that you're David in a struggle against Goliath and that the fact that everybody is against you reinforces your individuality.

2. People who worship the Rob Ford of their imaginations. These people bought into a personality cult and don't judge Rob Ford on his actual actions. BTW, this is not "I'd like to have a beer with him" territory. This is more like "I worship Him and submit to Him" territory.

Some of these people are really bizarre. Some of the things they voluntarily do haven't been done outside of totalitarian regimes. I mean, there are bad mayors, but what mayor in living democratic history has things like a moniker for his disciplies ("Ford Nation") and religious-like pilgrimages to a festivity of worship in his honour (his BBQs)? I even read a story in the Toronto Star about a girl who wrote a song lionizing Rob Ford using words like "Mayor Ford, cost cowboy and rollback viceroy." and "Toronto's defender". WTF?

Last edited:
I realize the Ford fans will claim that all politicians lie, but even if that's true, they certainly don't lie as poorly, and as stupidly as Ford.

You don't think people would prefer someone who lie poorly, than someone who will lie expertly?

I think that whoever supports Ford at this point can be broken down into 2 types of people:

1. People who subconsciously are ashamed of having supported Rob Ford, but can't admit that they make mistakes. I think these people take all of the incoming hostility directed to Rob Ford personally, as if it was they who are being blamed, rather than Rob Ford. Being a victim has a certain sexiness to it, right? I mean, you get to harbour feelings that you're David in a struggle against Goliath and that the fact that everybody is against you reinforces your individuality.

2. People who worship the Rob Ford of their imaginations. These people bought into a personality cult and don't judge Rob Ford on his actual actions. BTW, this is not "I'd like to have a beer with him" territory. This is more like "I worship Him and submit to Him" territory.

Some of these people are really bizarre. Some of the things they voluntarily do haven't been done outside of totalitarian regimes. I mean, there are bad mayors, but what mayor in living democratic history has things like a moniker for his disciplies ("Ford Nation") and religious-like pilgrimages to a festivity of worship in his honour (his BBQs)? I even read a story in the Toronto Star about a girl who wrote a song lionizing Rob Ford using words like "Mayor Ford, cost cowboy and rollback viceroy." and "Toronto's defender". WTF?

You're absolutely right. I would fold both of those groups into certain overarching categories. "Extremely gullible" comes to mind. "Weak-minded" as well--let's just say the Jedi mind trick would work pretty easily on these folks.

Hey listen I'm not disagreeing with you I thought he was a nightmare even then. I'm just saying I don't hold voting for him in and of itself in 2010 as a sign of stupidity, just bad judgment. Anyone who votes for him in 2014, however, is a fucking idiot.

Sorry, I didn't mean to disagreeable, just venting. I agree that 2010 was bad judgement for a lot of people. I've been lucky enough to know a number of people that were turned off Ford within the first year. Regarding 2014, I don't even want to imagine that world!

picard102 said:
You don't think people would prefer someone who lie poorly, than someone who will lie expertly?
I never said the other politicians were expert liars, but I can see how my wording was awkward, and confusing. It's not that other politicians are expert liars, so much as they're careful with their words. Careful like Ford was with his remarks about never having gotten drunk again at the ACC; which was clearly not expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back