News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern for the Portlands is that Ford's push for private development will include big box retail centers, like those found at Warden and Eglinton. 100 plus acres of parking lot, surrounded by disposable architecture. Smart Centers have wanted in, the area for years. The mayor and the councillors that support him, might just let them in. Near sighted thinking at its best. Something our mayor excels at!!

My concern for the Portlands is that Ford's push for private development will include big box retail centers, like those found at Warden and Eglinton. 100 plus acres of parking lot, surrounded by disposable architecture. Smart Centers have wanted in, the area for years. The mayor and the councillors that support him, might just let them in. Near sighted thinking at its best. Something our mayor excels at!!

I dont know about that, this land is too valuable and strategic to downtown for...100 plus acres of parking lot, surrounded by disposable architecture.

It sounds like if the Ford's get their way the naturalization of the Don is not going to happen. A focus on turning the river channel into nothing more than flood protection with maximum develop-able space would leave no room for the parks along the river.

It sounds like if the Ford's get their way the naturalization of the Don is not going to happen. A focus on turning the river channel into nothing more than flood protection with maximum develop-able space would leave no room for the parks along the river.

This sounds like it is the case. The staff report talks about revisiting the flood protection plans (i.e the renaturalization of the Don Mouth) in order to find a front-ended, privately funded alternative that would free up more development space.

And as for the type of development. Large-scale projects generally do not proceed without some level of funding from governement (e.g. Ripley's Aquarium) and given that part of the reason for transfering development responsibility to the TPLC, as explained in the staff report, is that TPLC can enter into public-private partnerships that do not require taxpayer financing (i.e. public sector provides land, private sector develops), I think that it is safe to assume that the likelihood of a large-scale tourist-focused project is low.

Furthermore, given the massive amount of residential units set to come on the market in the immediate area, anyone developing a significant amount of residential in the port lands in the immediate term would face stiff competition. Combine this with Doug's musings in the recent Globe article, I think retail development is exactly what we should expect. And regardless of whether this is big box or some kind of mall, is this really the vision we want for our Waterfront?

wants parks on the site — but has also proposed an NFL football stadium, “massive” high-end stores and a monorail.

[video=youtube;AEZjzsnPhnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw[/video]

That's the way I read it.

The question is, will WFT's plan of 100% public access to the lake, via a promenade and parks still be in the cards? If developers were allow to build a private, gated, community with lakefront access, they could demand much more per sq. ft. than the going rate and they would have no problem selling out. I think the Fords would have no problem supporting this type of development. It's in keeping with their privatization of everything strategy. Why not privatize the shoreline!

The article did state that they wanted 'massive retail outlets'. Looks like Home Depot will have a place on our waterfront after all. :(

So will Walmart and every other type of Smart center retailer. Smart center economy is the urban equivilant of clear cutting a forest. 1) Buy marginal brown field land at low cost. 2) Convince the city to build the infrastruture, to support low density, automoblie centric retail construction, with the promise of a improved tax base. 3) Build to the minimum required building codes, often with substandard construction. 4) Take the money and run to another town and start the process over.

A process that has destroyed small, local retail in every city and town in North America. Sure it fills a need for our consumer based society, but that doesn't make it right and it doesn't make sense in certain areas.

The article did state that they wanted 'massive retail outlets'. Looks like Home Depot will have a place on our waterfront after all. :(

Either you have trouble reading or like to take things out of context so it can serve your purpose. He clearly said his vision is for high-end retail. Not one person in their right mind associates wallmart and home depot with high end retail. He's stated in the past he would like to have a Macy's and other high end retail as well as hotels and his most recent comment also includes a large ferris wheel.
Though i don't agree with Ford but i like the ferris wheel part. And the last thing toronto needs in such a prime location is another boring mixed use residential neighborhood.

Either you have trouble reading or like to take things out of context so it can serve your purpose. He clearly said his vision is for high-end retail. Not one person in their right mind associates wallmart and home depot with high end retail. He's stated in the past he would like to have a Macy's and other high end retail as well as hotels and his most recent comment also includes a large ferris wheel.
Though i don't agree with Ford but i like the ferris wheel part. And the last thing toronto needs in such a prime location is another boring mixed use residential neighborhood.

Sure, he says we'll have 'high-end retail', but the article also points to 'shopping malls' - commonly associated with big-box retail. Is he really willing to undermine years of planning, public consultation and funding to draw up some quick sketch of a plan and build it? I want to see a real, funded, rendered plan before he grabs the Portlands from Waterfront Toronto. I think I have a right to be skeptical; we could be getting an asphalt waterfront.

Sure, Is he really willing to undermine years of planning, public consultation and funding to draw up some quick sketch of a plan and build it?
He did it with Transit City and now wants to do the same with the waterfront. The waterfront, unlike his Shepard Subway extension, will attract private investment. It almost seems as though he is just putting out bait until some big fish bits. The waterfront is the most delicious bait we have, if this doesn't attract the "big fish" private investors he keeps talking about, maybe they aren't really out there. Or their just overly cautious of taking bait from someone they can't trust? Let's face it , I don't know of any private company willing to partner with the city unless they are going to be substantial returns on its investment.

At this rate, by the end of his term, Ford will be selling off the Toronto Islands to golf resort developers and the CNE to Conklin Shows.

He did it with Transit City and now wants to do the same with the waterfront.

Yes he did, but some of Transit City can be salvaged in the future. The studies have been done and hopefully he'll come to his senses and implement a hybrid Transit/Transportation City including the Finch, Don Mills and Waterfront LRT's. Once the waterfront is developed, it's done. It's a tangible development confined to a much smaller area. We have to plan the waterfront carefully not hastily, so this rush-job makes me a little worried to say the least.

When Rob Ford passes away, I wonder if he'll get anything close to the outpouring of affection, that Layton has gotten?
[video=youtube;v0ucfRLjQ7M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ucfRLjQ7M[/video]

Sure, he says we'll have 'high-end retail', but the article also points to 'shopping malls' - commonly associated with big-box retail. Is he really willing to undermine years of planning, public consultation and funding to draw up some quick sketch of a plan and build it? I want to see a real, funded, rendered plan before he grabs the Portlands from Waterfront Toronto. I think I have a right to be skeptical; we could be getting an asphalt waterfront.

Come-on, have you been down by Commissioners/Villiers Rd. lately...20 years from now, it will still look the same unless we are willing to move ahead and negotiate with the private sector.

Hey, we might see somthing like this...yeah, a stadium with underground parking, and yes smart centers, and home depots that dont necessarily have to be big box with huge parking lots, but 1st and 2nd floor of proposed structures...... Shopping Malls and Big Box stores today dont have to look like the Yorkdales and Dufferin malls that were built 20-30 years ago.

Vikingsnewstadium.jpg

You never know, even this could eventually become reality.:cool:

TorontoPortlands.jpg

http://www.kirkorarchitects.com/proj-torontoport.htm

At the end of the day we can also sit back for years and wait for Waterfront Toronto or a new mayor to come up with a different solution to kick-start this part of town.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back