8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will not get rid of streetcars.

His main goal is to get rid of the Miller taxes and to crackdown on Unions.

I think many people in the city would agree with those two things.

That's what CUPE thought in summer 2009 with the garbage strike, too. It ended up costing their good friend his seat as mayor, not to mention pissing off most of the city. If we get a protracted TTC strike in nay time past October 2011, Hudak is going to order them back to work, and Ford is going to hold on for a settlement on his terms. As Hudak will also be choosing and appointing the arbitrators, a long TTC strike will put Kinnear will be in the same situation as Johnny Knoxville in Jackass, getting hurt for no reason whatsoever and turning people against his union and its members.

This isn't how the process works. The union has the city by the balls becaue the city HAS to ask for back-to-work legislation due to the economic hit that'll occur from a protracted TTC strike. The premier doesn't directly pick the arbitrators. They're in place, and they'll side with the unions.

Ford has made it a main plank of his platform that he'll make the TTC an essential service. If successful, he gets to side-step the issue completely and the union gets their salaries increased every three years.

I don't think anyone is necessarily against a lower tax burden. But I think a bigger issue is he seems to think events like Nuit Blanche, Gay Pride and Caribana among others are frivolous even though they do bring in millions of dollars in revenue for the city. And part of his appeal is that by opposing these events a certain contingent of his supporters see it as a blow against gays, blacks and "downtown elites" (and btw downtown elite does not mean wealthy liberal person, it means uppity urban person). He's playing the politics of division. I certainly didn't hear him say anything about pulling funding for the Santa Claus Parade or the Beaches Easter Parade. Oh, and he certainly ain't picking on the police union is he?

The only saving grace(s) of this election is it might get people thinking about runoffs in the future, deamalgamation (because let's face it, the City of Toronto's needs are much different from those of East York or Etobicoke etc.) and unlike say Chicago's mayor, he won't have absolute power so it'll be a boisterous four years but more than likely an unproductive one.

Better yet, kill off all the fat people like rob ford so I don't get stuck behind them when I'm walking.

We don't walk, we run you over.

Better still, force everyone walking and biking into the PATH so we don't even have to see the scum.

Are you being serious?

We don't walk, we run you over.

Better still, force everyone walking and biking into the PATH so we don't even have to see the scum.

Not sure if you're being serious or just sarcastic, but if you're serious, why don't you car lovers and pedestrain haters just go all the way and cut off your legs and have yourselves surgically implanted to your cars...

...just think of the joy...never having to walk again! Drive throughs everywhere!...malls could be 'openned up' so that you drive while shopping...groceries ailes would be 3 lane highways! Maybe even asign an offramp for every family (you wouldn't want to 'share' a terrible 'public' exit ramp would you!). Just think of the possibilities! :p

Danielinthecity you're just as fucking annoying as the Ford lovers on here.

Amen to that, I'm tired of being stuck behind a street car while looking at an empty bike lane.

It is the single-occupant car that blocks other cars and streetcars. With your reasoning, maybe we should get rid of the streetcars... on the Don Valley Parkway.

You know what I learned in this election? I'm a downtown elite and proud of it, although I don't drink Lattes or even coffee. I'm actually fiscally conservative and centre-right on many issues. I support Ford on many of the labour and contracting issues but if he moves against arts, community initiatives, transit, economic competitiveness, or environmental policy I will be active in those interests mobilized against him.

Okay, I have to ask this because it's creating some confusion.

Do the proposed LRT lines of Transit City have their own separate right of ways? Do they "have to stop at every light"?

I see Rob Ford and some of his supporters trying to 'derail' Transit City in the same way I'm seeing councillors and some of the voting public trying to derail the proposed LRT in Kitchener-Waterloo. At least in the latter case, it just goes to show that people don't have the slightest idea of what the actual technology is that is being proposed. And without even investigating the cost of alternatives (i.e. the build more roads alternative), they jump on the "it'll cost too much!" bandwagon. The lapse of logic is really frustrating.

Last edited:
Yes, Transit City lines would stop at intersections. Whoever here believes that true signal priority would be given is seriously delusional.

We have a few LRTs already operating in the city and trust me, there's no such thing as signal priority - the province (department of transportation) is against it.

Yes, Transit City lines would stop at intersections. Whoever here believes that true signal priority would be given is seriously delusional.

We have a few LRTs already operating in the city and trust me, there's no such thing as signal priority - the province (department of transportation) is against it.

I believe it is the City of Toronto Transportation department that controls signals in the city, not the province. Granted, they don't seem to be too quick to give signal priority to transit.

However, have a look at the Eglinton LRT plans. No waiting for left turns (they are being relegated to three rights or a right and a u turn to make their left). Isn't that a form of transit priority?

Transit City lines will run in exclusive ROWs (Eglinton will run underground for much of its length). Unlike Spadina & St Clair, the stops will be further apart. Signal priority should mean not stopping at every light.

The big problem I think opponents of TC have is disbelief that the TTC will be able to manage the lines effectively. It's a fair concern, but I've always taken the tack that the infrastructure itself is good infrastructure and, should there be issues with line management, we can deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back